Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>New in MN
MissK 01:39 PM 01-20-2012
Hi everyone! I am so happy to have found this forum! My family has recently purchased a house and will be moving in March - I have done daycare in the past in North Dakota (about 2 years ago) but unfortunately had to quit when we moved back home to MN as we were renting and our landlord wouldn't allow it (plus the townhome really wasn't set up for it).

Now that we are purchasing I am excited to start offering daycare again! North Dakota has a self-certification option which involved a background check, fingerprinting and so on, but no actual license. I only wanted/took 3 kids (other than my own) so that certification was all I needed. Minnesota does not have that option - totally ok with me but I'm looking to get the process starting soon so I can have everything in place shortly after we get settled into our home.

A little about me...
My husband and I have been married for almost 4 years now and we have 3 kiddos - 2 girls (6&4) and 1 boy (1). A very large part of me wanting to go back to providing daycare is not only because I can, but also because I miss being home with my kids and am just really having a hard time finding a provider in the area that I am comfortable with AND has an opening for a 1 year old. And honestly...I miss being a silly goof-ball all day! lol I currently do work full time as we needed 2 incomes in the family, but not a day goes by that I miss being my own boss, miss having fun while working and miss my kids.
I live in an area that is basically just a cluster of small towns and there are a decent amount of providers, but of course a shortage of infant/toddler openings. I hate having to bring him somewhere just because I really don't have any other option. When I do get down time I love to read, my goal for 2012 in 100 books I'm on track tho

I look foward to talking with you all and definitely receiving some help in organizing our new area along with tips and ideas on meals, activities and rules. I'll talk to you soon!
Michael 01:48 PM 01-20-2012
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now. Your IP shows you are Los Angeles but that seems wrong. What state are you located in, Minnesota ?
MissK 01:59 PM 01-20-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now. Your IP shows you are Los Angeles but that seems wrong. What state are you located in, Minnesota ?
Yep - Minnesota. I'm on my 'work' computer if that might make any difference at all...? Weird that it would show up Los Angeles (even though with the weather here I may consider it if that is where my computer is telling me to go... )
Blackcat31 02:00 PM 01-20-2012
Welcome! I am also in MN! What area of the state will you be living in? We have several providers on the forum from MN.

Must be tough moving from the land of sunshine to the land of sun-zero temps!
Michael 02:02 PM 01-20-2012
Originally Posted by MissK:
Yep - Minnesota. I'm on my 'work' computer if that might make any difference at all...? Weird that it would show up Los Angeles (even though with the weather here I may consider it if that is where my computer is telling me to go... )
Well I will change the Hollywood Sign avatar then.
MissK 02:06 PM 01-20-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Welcome! I am also in MN! What area of the state will you be living in? We have several providers on the forum from MN.

Must be tough moving from the land of sunshine to the land of sun-zero temps!
Not sure why it was saying I was from Los Angeles....although now it's got me thinking My husband and I grew up in MN - moved to ND for awhile (Fargo) and moved back to MN a couple years ago. Its funny how much to want to get away when you're a teenager and then how much you want to move back when you have a family We're in west central Minnesota - where in MN are you? I'm excited to meet some neighbors on here! Especially since I'm not 100% sure on all the requirements of MN licensing. in North Dakota they spelled out the requirements and process on their website - Minnesota...not so much. I look forward to talking with you and the other Minnesotans on the forum!!

Originally Posted by Michael:
Well I will change the Hollywood Sign avatar then.
TY - the Jellybeans by the way...I feel no urge to ever change my avatar
Blackcat31 02:15 PM 01-20-2012
Originally Posted by MissK:
Not sure why it was saying I was from Los Angeles....although now it's got me thinking My husband and I grew up in MN - moved to ND for awhile (Fargo) and moved back to MN a couple years ago. Its funny how much to want to get away when you're a teenager and then how much you want to move back when you have a family We're in west central Minnesota - where in MN are you? I'm excited to meet some neighbors on here! Especially since I'm not 100% sure on all the requirements of MN licensing. in North Dakota they spelled out the requirements and process on their website - Minnesota...not so much. I look forward to talking with you and the other Minnesotans on the forum!!
I am way up north.....

I've been in the business for almost 2 decades. Any questions you have about licensing, I will be happy to help with. I can't promise I will know the answer as I learn something new everyday but I have a FABULOUS licensor and she is always quick to answer the phone and help out.

Nice to have you aboard!
MissK 02:25 PM 01-20-2012
I am way up north.....

I've been in the business for almost 2 decades. Any questions you have about licensing, I will be happy to help with. I can't promise I will know the answer as I learn something new everyday but I have a FABULOUS licensor and she is always quick to answer the phone and help out.

Nice to have you aboard!
You are a bit up there! I'm south west of you - close to Detroit Lakes. I emailed my county's licenser today, but its Friday so I'm not expecting to hear back from her yet today. Will give her a call Monday if I don't hear anything back from her First Aid, SIDS/SBS and Child Passenger Safety courses are kind of far and in between in my area (driving awhile to get anywhere that offers these...) Do all of these need to be complete before I can accept any children? Absolutely ok if they do...was just wondering
I do have an active Child Care First Aid (good for 1 more year...), but my Infant/Child CPR is expired.

I'll be in touch with my licenser and I'll definitely keep in touch with you as well...I can always use ideas and suggestions - plus I always have plenty of questions to ask
Blackcat31 02:31 PM 01-20-2012
Yes, in my understanding, they all need to be completed before you have children in care.

When re-licensing, you have 30-90 days to complete them after expiration dates. I know that the CCR&R offers the SIDS/SBS courses through their video library and you can complete them on-line. I have never done it that way before but know some providers who have.

I don't know if you are planning to transport or not (it isn't the norm around my area to do it) so I am no help in regards to the Child Passenger Safety requirements.
MissK 02:44 PM 01-20-2012
Yes, in my understanding, they all need to be completed before you have children in care.

When re-licensing, you have 30-90 days to complete them after expiration dates. I know that the CCR&R offers the SIDS/SBS courses through their video library and you can complete them on-line. I have never done it that way before but know some providers who have.

I don't know if you are planning to transport or not (it isn't the norm around my area to do it) so I am no help in regards to the Child Passenger Safety requirements.
Thanks for the help - if I'm not able to sync up with a SIDS/SBS course around here I may have to look into the online option. I'm not planning on transporting - so I don't know that I'll need to have this complete before licensing, but I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea just incase something were to happen where I did need to transport one of the kids or something like that. Thanks again for the input, I'll be sure to keep you all up to date on my progress and the progress of our home!
Countrygal 03:40 PM 01-20-2012
Welcome, MissK! This forum is great!
Tags:minnesota
Reply Up