Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Death
BumbleBee 08:18 PM 07-20-2012
http://m.nbcdfw.com/nbcdfw/pm_108184...tguid=62jMvtzq

I don't get it. Even if it was a 15 passenger van (no idea if it was or not) how long does it take to check a vehicle? Count how many kids you have-even if it's after you get in the building.

Sorry, I just get so angry when things like this happen. It gives daycares a bad name overall AND there is NO excuse for this IMHO.
Hunni Bee 08:19 PM 07-20-2012

Is there a link to the story?

Edit: never mind
BumbleBee 08:21 PM 07-20-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:

Is there a link to the story?
Sorry, I forgot the link the first time. It should be there now.
Nickel 08:46 PM 07-20-2012
omg, how could they let that happen? I mean, how do you not realize one of your dck is missing. I worked at a cdc and we had to count them periodically throughout the day even if we never left the room. and then we had to count them before we left the room, when we got where we were going, before we left where we were and after we got back. Either this staff was grossly under staffed or grossly uneducated. There is no excuse. The grandmother is a better woman than I. I would want more than just answers.

On another note, there have been ads running here nonstop all summer about preventing car deaths. I'm only four hours from Dallas and temps have been averaging 105-108 since May. So there is a huge media campaign along the lines of CHECK THE BACKSEATS. I am always so paranoid that I ALWAYS put my back in the back now so I physically have to turn around and look to get it. And when my husband takes the girls somewhere, I'm calling him or texting him to make sure he doesn't forget them in the car.

Someone should have physically done a walk through and checked every single Freaking seat before they closed the door. And shame on his teacher for not realizing one of her students was missing. It makes me glad I chose not to enroll my daughter into a daycare and to become a home provider. All I can say is wow. I'll be praying for the family.
Kaddidle Care 08:50 PM 07-20-2012
Sigh.. another one. It's inexcusable in my book. Head count, head count, head count - especially on trips. Poor baby.
sharlan 09:18 PM 07-20-2012
There is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for this to happen.

I have a 12 passenger van and we do a headcount at the front door before heading to the car. We do another headcount once every is in the van. The front passenger does a headcount, then the driver (usually me) does another headcount before the car is started.

Once we get where we are going, all the kids are unloaded and recounted by the front passenger, then me. I also do a visual of the inside of the car before any door is shut.

The proceedure is repeated when leaving our outing. Headcount outside of the van and two inside. When we get home, either the front passenger unloads the kids while I watch or they watch while I unload and get the babies into the house. A headcount is done in the house and I personally go back to the van and do a visual.

All van doors are left open until I go back out and do a visual.

All of this counting and all of the visual checks may seem excessive to some people, but I will never have a child die in my car.
Nickel 09:20 PM 07-20-2012
It's not excessive when it comes to the safety of a child, at least in my book. How totally aweful. I just feel so sick
sharlan 09:22 PM 07-20-2012
I see two vans in the pic. One is a 15 pass van. Not sure what the carseat laws are in TX, but in CA that child had to be strapped into a carseat. Somebody would have had to unstrap him at the end of the fieldtrip. That is total negligence.
Breezy 10:59 PM 07-20-2012
So easily preventable!!! Ugh what a tragedy. Going to bed now and will pray for the family.
Michelle 07:28 AM 07-21-2012
there us no excuse at all for this but maybe it was one of those.."one teacher thought the other teacher got him" situations.
Count kids always!!!

This is what scares me about centers and why everyone is in a big rush to put their babies in "school".
This is a lot less likely to happen in a home daycare, but there is the everyday irresponsible nutcase.
I am praying for this poor family.
Does anyone know if someone got arrested yet?
sharlan 07:51 AM 07-21-2012
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/07/20/3...care-van-dies/

According to CPS spokeswoman Marissa Gonzales, over the past two years the state has found 23 violations at the daycare, which is comparable to other daycare centers.

I can just about guarantee that if I had 23 violations in two years, my daycare would have been shut down.

We went to the movies yesterday (Mr. Popper's Penguins, kids loved it) and even my 16 yo granddaughter knows to do a headcount every five minutes.

I know this happens with parents, too. We had a case here locally a few years ago where the family came home from church with each parent thinking the other got the little girl out. Earlier this summer I read where an AZ father forgot to drop his son off at daycare. A Chino school bus driver left a sleeping child on a bus a couple of years ago. He was found by the police still strapped into a seat 5 hours later.

These were all preventable accidents.
familyschoolcare 08:38 AM 07-21-2012
I took a field trip last week with only 2 kids felt a little silly counting one -two everyone here.....

NOt now
sharlan 11:50 AM 07-21-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
I took a field trip last week with only 2 kids felt a little silly counting one -two everyone here.....

NOt now
NEVER feel silly about doing a headcount.
Michelle 12:28 PM 07-21-2012
even when I know for an absolute fact there are no kids in the back of my van, I always check anyway!
sharlan 01:32 PM 07-21-2012
Originally Posted by Michelle:
even when I know for an absolute fact there are no kids in the back of my van, I always check anyway!
Me, too. It's like a gun - always assume it's loaded. I always assume that someone is in the back seat and double check.
familyschoolcare 04:29 PM 07-21-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
NEVER feel silly about doing a headcount.
I think it was doing it out load that made me feel silly but a good habit is a good habit.
texascare 08:51 AM 07-23-2012
I am in the Dallas area and when this came across on the news it just made me sick. They have 23 deficiencies and some of them are pretty bad. If this happened in a home they would shut us down but they will not shut down a center and I think that is crazy. This was preventable!!!
busymommy0420 10:53 AM 07-23-2012
I do a head count all the time, at home, on field trips ALL THE TIME. I can have 6 pre-schoolers, two school age plus my 3 sons ages 11, 16 & 17. I count all the time...and I feel better doing that. OMG that poor little boy!
Tags:death, neglect
Reply Up