Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Crying kid
MissAnn 10:12 AM 05-11-2011
3.5 year old who is crying over anything that doesn't go his way. I can tell it's attention getting because as soon as he thinks about it....he gets louder and looks right at me. I just go along with my business and give him a nice comfortable place to cry it out....letting him know that he can get up whenever he feels better. When he gets up, I let him know that I'm so happy that he feels better. Wondering what you guys do. Love to hear other ideas. Hopefully this is a short phase and will be done with it soon.
daycarelady68 10:21 AM 05-11-2011
I have a 3 yr dcg that cries about everything too. This works w/her parents so she does it in daycare too. I tell her to stop crying and use her words and tell me the problem. Sometimes this works, if not, I do what you do. I tell her to go sit on her napbed until she's done crying. She's done pretty quick. I don't think this problem will ever go away all together since it works all the time w/parents. Some ppl parent this way so not my business to say anything to them.
MissAnn 10:27 AM 05-11-2011
Originally Posted by daycarelady68:
I have a 3 yr dcg that cries about everything too. This works w/her parents so she does it in daycare too. I tell her to stop crying and use her words and tell me the problem. Sometimes this works, if not, I do what you do. I tell her to go sit on her napbed until she's done crying. She's done pretty quick. I don't think this problem will ever go away all together since it works all the time w/parents. Some ppl parent this way so not my business to say anything to them.
You hit the nail right on the head
jojosmommy 10:28 AM 05-11-2011
Originally Posted by daycarelady68:
i have a 3 yr dcg that cries about everything too. This works w/her parents so she does it in daycare too. I tell her to stop crying and use her words and tell me the problem. Sometimes this works, if not, i do what you do. I tell her to go sit on her napbed until she's done crying. She's done pretty quick. I don't think this problem will ever go away all together since it works all the time w/parents. Some ppl parent this way so not my business to say anything to them.
:d:d:d :d:d:d
nannyde 10:53 AM 05-11-2011
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
3.5 year old who is crying over anything that doesn't go his way. I can tell it's attention getting because as soon as he thinks about it....he gets louder and looks right at me. I just go along with my business and give him a nice comfortable place to cry it out....letting him know that he can get up whenever he feels better. When he gets up, I let him know that I'm so happy that he feels better. Wondering what you guys do. Love to hear other ideas. Hopefully this is a short phase and will be done with it soon.
I would celebrate his most excellent crying and act really bummed out when he quit.

"Johnny you are an awesome crier today. Did you take cry lessons last night?"

Soon as he starts crying I would bust out into a jig... a little "saturday night fever" kinda jig.

Soon as he stopped I would stop... give him this: and say "you done already?"

I would do it EVERY time until I got him to laugh at me instead of cry at me.
MissAnn 10:55 AM 05-11-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I would celebrate his most excellent crying and act really bummed out when he quit.

"Johnny you are an awesome crier today. Did you take cry lessons last night?"

Soon as he starts crying I would bust out into a jig... a little "saturday night fever" kinda jig.

Soon as he stopped I would stop... give him this: and say "you done already?"

I would do it EVERY time until I got him to laugh at me instead of cry at me.
Funny......I'll try it tomorrow and let you know how it goes!
Sugar Magnolia 11:32 AM 05-11-2011
Don't you wish YOU could just start crying everytime something doesn't go your way? Them: "I'm sorry ma'am, but your card was declined" Me: "whaaa,whaaa, I want my mommy! I wanna go home! That's not faaaaair" Them: "I'm sorry but it still won't go through..." Me: (stomping feet now) "I want my purchase NOW and I don't care what you say! Whaaa! Whaaa!"
You are doing the right thing with this child, don't doubt yourself!
daycare 11:37 AM 05-11-2011
how long has this been goin on? Some of my dck when they are starting to come down with something act this way.
If it were just today, I mgiht think that something like this is up, however, if its a daily thing, then I think you are going about it the right way.

It does seem like the parents are allowing for this to go on and so they are going to try it on y ou..
MissAnn 11:41 AM 05-11-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
how long has this been goin on? Some of my dck when they are starting to come down with something act this way.
If it were just today, I mgiht think that something like this is up, however, if its a daily thing, then I think you are going about it the right way.

It does seem like the parents are allowing for this to go on and so they are going to try it on y ou..
The dad is very careful to not disappoint the kids. He speaks to them in a soft voice and lets them know every day that he has a snack for them in the car (although we just ate snack). If he forgets the snack.......then both kids cry and get really mad and the dad apologizes.

Me? I would say.....too bad, so sad!

They get picked up RIGHT at closing time.....but the kids want to show dad around and play with things and dad doesnt know how to get them out the door. I say.......OOPS! I'm closed! (lol)
Meeko 11:47 AM 05-11-2011
The 4 year daughter of "granola bar dad" (that will forever be his name now!) is dreadful for screaming fits when her dad doesn't give in. He is soooooo meek around her.

As I close the door and she is screaming bloody murder (usually over something like dad putting the 'wrong" t-shirt on her and so she screamed all the way here in the car).....I just look at her and cheerfully say "You know that doesn't work here" and she just clams right up and runs off to play! It's instantly. My son says we should video it for the dad to see!
MissAnn 11:50 AM 05-11-2011
LOL "You know that doesn't work here"

I've said it a million times! I try to act like I don't care. I just say...."Can you go sit over there (pointing WAY over there!).....'cause we can't hear to play"
daycare 11:52 AM 05-11-2011
one of the things that my DCKs do when someone is throwing a tantrum is they put both of their hands over their ears and then say please stop your hurting my ears. All of them do it as soon as they see one person doing it. The tantrum thrower usually stops within seconds..
Tags:crying, crying over everything, spoiled
Reply Up