Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Homework Problem
Hunni Bee 10:46 AM 02-28-2012
I've posted about this before. The Headstart in our neighborhood requires the 2 and 3 year olds to complete homework packets that are larger than what my 6 year olds have. Its nuts.

I have a 3 year old in that program and yesterday her mother basically commanded that she do this packet while she's at daycare. I told my director flat out that I wasn't going to make a 3 year old sit at a table tracing her name umpteen times while the rest of classmates play. She doesn't have the attention span to do it, the worksheets are not age appropriate, it takes up too much of my own time and to me its a little cruel. We dont even use worksheets here.

The director said if this is what the mother wants, then we have to do it. I dont intend to. Im really sick of her allowing the parents to tell us what WE'RE going to do.

What do you all think and how would you handle this?
kendallina 10:55 AM 02-28-2012
Wow-- headstart is handing out packets with worksheets for homework?? Ugh!

Since you spoke with the director and she's basically telling you that you have to have the child do it, then I'd probably try to have her do it. However, if mom speaks to you directly with this kind of request again, I'd let the mom know that it's not really something that the little girl can do there (as there are many other things to play and it just isn't fair to ask her to do it while kids are playing...) and also encourage the mom to speak with the headstart teacher about the difficulty in completing this homework at home, and also maybe mention how it's just not an appropriate learning tool for a preschooler.

If mom throws a fit about it, I'd let her know that it's titled homework because it is meant to be completed at home with mom or dad as the child will need some instruction to go along with it, and it's not something that you can do when you have so many other children there.
bice99 10:55 AM 02-28-2012
I taught 1st grade for 11 years. Yes, kids have homework. My own DD had way too much at her preschool. But my rule for daycare - I don't do homework. It's call homework b/c it's done at home to allow kids to interact with their parents. If you want my help with homework, I'm available as a private tutor for $30 per hour. LOL.

The difference is that you seem to work in a center. Am I right? That might be different, but it shouldn't be.
Cat Herder 11:35 AM 02-28-2012
Remember that scene from Bruce Almighty when he is at the impound lot???

I'd do that......

As an employee, you sadly have no real say if you want to stay employed.
nannyde 11:44 AM 02-28-2012
Ugh

All the director had to do was tell the Mom that you DO offer private tutoring for 10 dollars for every half hour.. then ask her how many hours per week she would like and that she is required to pay that upfront weekly.

The Mom already knows it takes a lot of adult to get it done or she would gladly do it at home. She just doesn't know the adult costs money.
Blackcat31 12:01 PM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

I'd do that......

Are you referring to the scene about "doing nothing and just taking it" from Liar Liar? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qmaB4Im0tY

I don't remember any impound lot scenes in Bruce Almighty but I could be way off....

I Jim Carey!
Hunni Bee 12:02 PM 02-28-2012

I'd do that......

Yeah I know. I have no power here. I just needed to vent I guess.
Cat Herder 12:05 PM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Are you referring to the scene about "doing nothing and just taking it" from Liar Liar? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qmaB4Im0tY

I don't remember any impound lot scenes in Bruce Almighty but I could be way off....

I Jim Carey!
Yep....thats the one...

My son's love his films (and anything pg-ish with Adam Sandler)...so they all tend to blend into one LONG film for me....

Sorry, OP..... Back on track.....

I wonder what the director will do when injuries start happening because the one child is now taking up 1 adult. Doesn't that leave the other adult with 11-17 (depending on your ratio) kids alone?

"Feb. 28th: 10am Today I brought my safety concerns to my supervisor and was told to keep them to myself. The issue is...."
Hunni Bee 02:33 PM 02-28-2012
I wonder what the director will do when injuries start happening because the one child is now taking up 1 adult. Doesn't that leave the other adult with 11-17 (depending on your ratio) kids alone?

"Feb. 28th: 10am Today I brought my safety concerns to my supervisor and was told to keep them to myself. The issue is...."
And I said this to her. My director has no real concept of what is really involved in "doing" childcare and she allows the whims of a few families to overshadow others. This is one of her "pet" families.
Cat Herder 02:57 PM 02-28-2012
I am sorry, hun.

Just do the same thing they will do...keep a paper trail.

Document (quietly, co-workers will gossip and blow this up if you are not careful ) so that when/if an injury occurs, it will be available during an investigation. NEVER hand over your hard copies, though.

Protect your work reputation as much as possible. I am pretty sure this is in every field.... at least every field I have ever worked in.
Tags:employee, employer, job description
Reply Up