Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Chore Jar
Thriftylady 12:53 PM 03-08-2015
I am thinking about doing something like a chore jar for my two SA kiddos. I keep having little issues with them that I am trying to stamp out such as sitting in your chair properly, turning off the bathroom light (they never do), things like that. I have a ticket program where they can earn tickets for good behavior and buy things when they get enough. But if I really enforce taking tickets when they do these little things, they will be in the hole. I don't really see these issues as "time out" issues. So I was thinking of a chore jar with little things such as dust the entertainment center, etc.

First question is would you do this? The second is if so, what chores would you use?
Michael 01:15 PM 03-08-2015
More threads on Chore Charts: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=chores
spinnymarie 06:42 PM 03-08-2015
IMHO, from experience and reading, reward systems work best when they are separate from discipline systems.
I'd do the tickets reward FOR doing the things you would like them to do (turn off the bathroom light), but not take them away.
I'm all for a chore jar separately, but I think doing the tickets will work really well for little things like that.
ETA - I also personally like having the reward for these things to be something intangible - being a special helper, choosing the snack for the afternoon, picking a special book, etc. Just a thought.
Tags:chores
Reply Up