Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>I'm Looking to Open a Child Day Care Service in San Francisco
casg415 09:03 PM 09-07-2010
Hi,

I'm new to this site. I was doing some research on city requirements for child day care service at home and came about this site. I think I've done enough research on the requirements, so the second step for me is to get some feedback from others that are operating their own business. I'm going to the orientation next Tuesday and just want plan this business thoroughly. I have no professional experience taking care of kids, so I plan to hire someone that will take care of the kids while I assist and facilitate the business. Curriculum will me given to me by teacher friends, so all the kids going to our day care will be taught similar to public school courses.

One of my main concerns is where to operate the service. I have access to a vacant house with a huge (deep) garage located in San Francisco. The upstairs of the property is pretty big too, however, there are two stairs that leads to the garage (both have locks), and the dinning room has two steps that leads to the living room. The Fire Department haven't checked the property, but aside from non-structure changes, which level should I open my day care from? I understand there will be renovations made with the garage if I decide to do the day care downstairs, so that's the downside but the upside is that there are no stairs or steps.

Below are some pictures of the garage:
Entrance
Front View from Garage Door
Back-end View

Below are some pictures of the upstairs:
Hallway taken from Living Room
Living Room
Dinning Room
Dinning Room taken from Living Room
Big Room
Smaller Room
SunflowerMama 12:25 PM 09-08-2010
I would definitely go with the upstairs over the garage. Super cute floors and more welcoming I would think with all those windows.

Best of luck!!
DCMomOf3 12:46 PM 09-08-2010
I would definitely go with the house part, not the garage. That house has so much potential and the 2 steps aren't a big concern to me. It's pretty much finished as well, so no walls to build etc like you would have to do in the garage. I also don't like cement floors in the garage for kids who fall down, which they all do now and again.

Best of luck!
MommyMuffin 06:26 PM 09-08-2010
I think the house would be better too. As far as the stairs go, you could get that carpet that goes over the two stairs to make it less slippery. I dont think the kids would have to much trouble, or you could just put up a gate.
casg415 10:41 PM 09-08-2010
thanks guys for commenting. good to hear everyone likes the upstairs of the house. another room that i didn't display was a small breakfast room connected with the dinning room, which will be turned into a small office or conference room.

as far as the hardwood floors, you guys suggest covering the floor with carpet or some type of rubber matting?
SunflowerMama 04:41 AM 09-09-2010
Originally Posted by casg415:
thanks guys for commenting. good to hear everyone likes the upstairs of the house. another room that i didn't display was a small breakfast room connected with the dinning room, which will be turned into a small office or conference room.

as far as the hardwood floors, you guys suggest covering the floor with carpet or some type of rubber matting?
If it were me I would definitely just keep the hardwood. My whole childcare with the exception of one room is hardwood and I haven't had any problems. I think the hardwood looks great!! In the areas where the infants are going to be just add some fun rugs that would make it a little softer for them.
casg415 01:08 PM 09-09-2010
good tip. maybe i'll just carpet the playroom area then. depending how many infants we have, i was planning to utilize both rooms and have a specific room for infants and toddlers. this way during nap time the kids will have their own privacy.
Tags:garage, new member, remodel, upgrading
Reply Up