Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Homeschool Curriculum
jojosmommy 11:49 AM 06-11-2012
Someone posted about this in the general forum but I have been wondering what people use for their own kids.

I want to do some homeschool curriculum with my pre k son while the other kids are napping. He breezes through the Mothergoose time curriculum and the Funshine express curriculum as well as some general ready for K workbooks I have him do occasionally. He loves to do "school" and will be in real preschool in the Fall- mostly for social development away from me .

What do you homeschoolers use for pre k kids? I have found lots of different types out there and am not sure I am educated enough about homeschool options to make the "right" choice for my and my son's needs.

One dck here uses abcmouse.com but I am not sold on the electronic method since he isn't yet tech savvy. He seems to prefer the hands on approach and or the workbook type. I think he likes to see what he has accomplished.

Any suggestions?
shelby 02:04 PM 06-11-2012
With pre k, you can do starfall.com a very fun way to learn sounds, and letter recognition.

pre k is easy to make your own....

Here are some free options:

letter of the week.com ... has cool, fun activities for pre k...

If you want to purchase some... look into Abeka, Alpha and Omaga Publishing, Rod and Staff.

here is a site you may like to look at:

http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/pre-kindergarten.html

(this is one I really liked for my pre k kids)
AmyLeigh 05:53 PM 06-11-2012
I would advise to take it easy with him doing a set curriculum. So many homeschooled kids get burned out early on. They are excited to learn and do new things, so mommy pushes just a little bit more. Then, they refuse to do anymore schoolwork around 2nd grade, when their brains are really ready to learn.
Have fun with him, and limit the formal workbook 'schoolish' stuff to a short amount of time. Find some cool science experiments to do together. Plant a garden, bake cookies, deliver said cookies to shut ins, read a lot of good books, and play play play.
shana 12:02 PM 06-13-2012
What I did with all three of mine was to just sit and talk about what they already knew and let them ask questions.. the learning always grew and grew. before i knew it they could sound out words and do simple math. My older two who r in middle school now could read well before school. preschool is a great idea for the social but good for you that you want to keep em learning. I think they learn better as 3yrs and 4yrs olds.. And it will stick with them.
Countrygal 01:33 PM 06-13-2012
For Math I used workbooks and for the rest "Learning at Home" for preschool and kindergarten by Ann Ward. I like Ann Wards because it uses such a variety of materials. Sometimes the books are hard for me to get from the library because we live in a rural area and have to order most of the books, but I often will substitute. It is a Christian curriculum, however. Don't know if that would be something you'd be interested in.
jojosmommy 10:48 AM 06-15-2012
Thanks for the ideas ladies.
Elevenhounds 12:13 PM 09-10-2012
Vote for Rod & Staff.. Their pre-k workbooks are light and fun.
They also sell some great story books with strong Biblical moral teachings in a child friendly format.

Another good resource is Timberdoodle. They've used and approved everything they sell.
momofsix 04:54 PM 09-10-2012
I used 5 In a Row for one year with my girls. I know a lot of people that really loved it, I thought it was ok, but it gave me great ideas for doing my own things with lots of other books! I think that's what led me to love lit based curriculum.

http://fiarhq.com/fiveinarow.info/index.html
Reply Up