Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Power of One
Blackcat31 06:16 PM 07-10-2011
This is OT, but I posted it in the open section so unregistered members, casual lurkers and drop in readers can see that we, as providers, women, mothers, wives, sisters, friends and human beings could come together, no matter our faults or differences and be one.

In light of the rather heated debates that have occurred on this forum, there seems to be a common thread for all; No matter who is right or wrong, no matter how strict or lax we are, we all seem to have a deep passion for what we do. Although we each do it for many different reasons, we all seem to do it for that one thing.

Post ONE thing you have done in the last 7 days that required no money from you or paid to you that you did for another person, family, friend client or complete stranger.....just because.

I'd like to see how long we can keep this thread going. PLEASE ABSOLUTELY NO NEGATIVELTY!
Michael 06:19 PM 07-10-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
PLEASE ABSOLUTELY NO NEGATIVELTY!
Ok, I am going to leave that up to you to enforce. Did you want to include a poll?
MyAngels 06:21 PM 07-10-2011
I noticed my neighbor hobbling around on crutches yesterday, so I mowed her yard for her after I mowed mine. I couldn't get the stupid weed eater started, though, so I didn't get the trimming done .
Blackcat31 06:22 PM 07-10-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
Ok, I am going to leave that up to you to enforce. Did you want to include a poll?
I am thinking there are too many reasons since we are all so unique..to do a poll and I'm just crossing my fingers that everyone will just be nice.
PitterPatter 06:29 PM 07-10-2011
What a wonderful thread u have started! I can't wait to see all the kindness shared here! Great idea Blackcat!

I packed some food from our pantry today and gave it to a family that had none. A friend of a friend. Does that still count money from me since I already had it in my storage?

I have done this before for a client and a neighbor before as well but not recently.
PitterPatter 06:35 PM 07-10-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I noticed my neighbor hobbling around on crutches yesterday, so I mowed her yard for her after I mowed mine. I couldn't get the stupid weed eater started, though, so I didn't get the trimming done .
That's very kindhearted!!

Can I share what someone else has done for me out of kindness?

I gave a lawnmower away to they guy I sometimes hire to cut my grass. It had been sitting in my shed for 5 years untouched and not working. He said it was just a coil and wanted to give it back. I told him to keep it and he cut my grass today for free and 2 other times so far for free as a thank u. My yard costs $20 to cut normally so I was very grateful for that! Saved $60!! He was very kind as well! I know the person u helped must be overjoyed!! I know I sure was! great job!
Meyou 02:49 AM 07-11-2011
I made dinner yesterday and brought it to friends with a new baby and 3 other kids. I prepared everything before we went and we just threw it on the bbq when we got there and ate it up. They enjoyed the company and the food without having to stress, clean their house for company, cook or go anywhere with 4 kids.
Meyou 02:49 AM 07-11-2011
PS The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay is my favorite book of all time. lol
morgan24 03:57 AM 07-11-2011
I unloaded the elderly ladies cart that was behind me at the store. She was having trouble reaching bending over and reaching into her cart.
Cat Herder 04:11 AM 07-11-2011
I participated in 3 fundraisers for local cancer patients.

I called and "checked in" on 8 local seniors this week.

I stocked freezers with soups/casseroles, bagged up some fresh fruit and had a nice visit with a couple seniors whose phone calls sounded "a bit off" to me.

I traded out oxygen cylinders and cleaned some tubing for one senior who had no weekend transportation.

I mailed "Thinking of you" encouragement cards to a few others.

They are "my peeps".
Mike Lassiter 04:26 AM 07-11-2011
It takes 1 to take a stand for or against something. Often others want to also take a stand but are afraid to be standing alone. They will stand with someone else and together they are greater than individually.
We should always speak out against injustice or wrong no matter who it is affecting and we should always stand up for those that cannot or are afraid to stand up for themselves. It's a much smaller world than you would think. Years later a kindness to some strangler or help to one can come back to you. There's a movie about paying it forward I think was the name. Doing something for someone else just because. No reward expected, just helping someone because. It is still all around us.

On edit: the other post here proves...what I said. It's all around us. You all are the proof.
nannyde 05:04 AM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I participated in 3 fundraisers for local cancer patients.

I called and "checked in" on 8 local seniors this week.

I stocked freezers with soups/casseroles, bagged up some fresh fruit and had a nice visit with a couple seniors whose phone calls sounded "a bit off" to me.

I traded out oxygen cylinders and cleaned some tubing for one senior who had no weekend transportation.

I mailed "Thinking of you" encouragement cards to a few others.

They are "my peeps".
Oh man I wish I could figure out a way for you to stock my freezers. I wouldn't share it with anyone either. I'd eat it all myself.
Cat Herder 05:39 AM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Oh man I wish I could figure out a way for you to stock my freezers. I wouldn't share it with anyone either. I'd eat it all myself.
I am sure yours is already well stocked.

I bet you are the only person who cooks as often and as big as I do..

It does help to live near farmers markets, beef/chicken/venison processors.
nannyde 06:11 AM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
It does help to live near farmers markets, beef/chicken/venison processors.
Sure does. Wish you could get some buffalo there. You would really like it. It's uber beef. The broth is AMAZING.

We should swap freezers. You can have everything BUT the two whole phesants. I have to keep those for special special party for my one going off to Kindy. She loves herself some phesant slow cooked in portabella & ****ake mushrooms and cream of mushroom soup!!!!!!!!
SilverSabre25 07:06 AM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Sure does. Wish you could get some buffalo there. You would really like it. It's uber beef. The broth is AMAZING.

We should swap freezers. You can have everything BUT the two whole phesants. I have to keep those for special special party for my one going off to Kindy. She loves herself some phesant slow cooked in portabella & ****ake mushrooms and cream of mushroom soup!!!!!!!!

hee hee it bleeped out "shi it ake".

Granted, given that it's a mushroom, my personal opinion of it is "shi t" but that's 'cause I cannot stand mushrooms.

I do wish I had the time and counter-space to bulk cook and freeze as much as you guys do. Sadly though, with my recent influx of dietary restrictions, it's probably just as well. But I do wish I could at least do it for daycare. Make my days simpler. I'll be doing good to get to the blueberry (farm? orchard? patch?) and freeze a year's worth of fresh, perfectly ripe blueberries. And peaches...I hope I get peaches this year.
jen 07:38 AM 07-11-2011
I kept one of my daycare families kids until 9pm, free of charge, because single Mom had to work late.
DEBBIES DAYCARE 08:52 AM 07-11-2011
I love my dad but he talks and talks...and talks... especially since his wife died... so I usually call him on the quick when he knows im busy, we chat a minute and lets me go. Last night I called him and let him babble ( 1 hour and 52 minutes!) the saaaaame stories I know by heart and asked him questions, even though I knew the answer and just let him talk and he was thrilled....he even called today to thank me for our nice chat last night. Patience with your parents goes a long way. We dont know how long we'll have them.
Blackcat31 09:16 AM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by DEBBIES DAYCARE:
I love my dad but he talks and talks...and talks... especially since his wife died... so I usually call him on the quick when he knows im busy, we chat a minute and lets me go. Last night I called him and let him babble ( 1 hour and 52 minutes!) the saaaaame stories I know by heart and asked him questions, even though I knew the answer and just let him talk and he was thrilled....he even called today to thank me for our nice chat last night. Patience with your parents goes a long way. We dont know how long we'll have them.
Bless your heart!! My FIL is exactly the same way and it seems lots of time goes by between our conversations/contact with him because of that and my husband ends up feeling so guilty. But it is hard fitting in a 2 hour (sometimes longer) conversation on a daily/regular basis. So good for you!!! I am sure you made his day!
MarinaVanessa 09:25 AM 07-11-2011
I spent most of my Saturday morning driving around to my friends, relatives and strangers houses (craigslist ads) picking up unwanted baby & kids clothing and handing them out. I'd go to one house then the next and if I had clothing in the van that they could use they would take it and give me theirs that were too small. Today my DC families got a chance to sort through them (I had already separated them by size) and take what they could use. The rest I will put away and bring out in a few months and see if they've grown into any of it. I like doing this every few months. Helps me out with my kids (6yo and 8mo), my DC families, my friends and family.
GretasLittleFriends 09:27 AM 07-11-2011
A friend of mine gave me a coupon for a free photo book on shutterfly. It expired today, but I made sure to use it. I ordered the book Saturday night.

I used it for a friend of mine who's baby died July 7th. Today he would have been 4 months old. He died unexpectedly (SIDS?). I "stole" all the pictures I could find from facebook and put them along with some poetry in this book. I did talk to baby's grandma about the project beforehand to make sure I wouldn't get in trouble and/or hurt peoples feelings for "stealing" their pictures.

I had something nice happen to me too yesterday. My dad came over and rototilled my garden. Our garden is huge and was starting to get away from me. It measures 50'x175'.
Sugar Magnolia 09:30 AM 07-11-2011
I met a 94 year old WW2 Veteran at a deli in Casey Key Village. I tried to let him get in line in front of me, but he insisted "beauty before age". Lol! I told him he didn't look a day over 80 and gave him a hard time (jokingly!) about him buying a cigar! He sat with me outside while I ate my sandwich and talked about WW2. He was so cool.
PitterPatter 10:43 AM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by Mike Lassiter:
It takes 1 to take a stand for or against something. Often others want to also take a stand but are afraid to be standing alone. They will stand with someone else and together they are greater than individually.
We should always speak out against injustice or wrong no matter who it is affecting and we should always stand up for those that cannot or are afraid to stand up for themselves. It's a much smaller world than you would think. Years later a kindness to some strangler or help to one can come back to you. There's a movie about paying it forward I think was the name. Doing something for someone else just because. No reward expected, just helping someone because. It is still all around us.

On edit: the other post here proves...what I said. It's all around us. You all are the proof.
The movie Pay It Forward is 1 of my favorites!! Such a great story!!
SandeeAR 11:06 AM 07-11-2011
Spent the weekend, out of town, with my husband's family. His Mom died Thursday. Spent time consoling DH. But......While in the hotel (shared a room with my DD and SIL), I gave up my portable "hot flash fan", to the SIL. He can't sleep with out some sort of "white noise" and he forgot his.
DCMom 11:38 AM 07-11-2011
Our neighbor is an awesome older gentleman who just loves my daycare kids; he know them all by name and is always bringing over things from his huge garden and letting them pick his flowers.

Anyway, his split rail fence between our yards was badly in need of staining; he commented last week that he liked the stain on my swing set and he would like to do his fence the same color. We were on vacation last week, so I stained it for him.

There were actually tears in his eyes when he came over to thank me.

He is such a nice man, it was my pleasure to do it for him. It was only a few hours of my time and it can't be easy being retired next door to a daycare!!
kidkair 12:37 PM 07-11-2011
All my fish were dying in the tank and one of my clients was talking about maybe getting a tank started but not wanting to pay for all the stuff to start it up. So once all the fish in the tank died I cleaned it all out and sun dried everything to kill all the ick that might have still been in there. I'll give it all to her tomorrow with hopes that she has better luck than I did.

And I sent a loaf of bread to my dad. He's so far away from us and can't afford to come visit so I sent him homemade bread to brighten his day.
SilverSabre25 01:48 PM 07-14-2011
I baked chocolate chip cookies for a dcm today. She miscarried a baby over the weekend, and although she was still very early in the pregnancy, I know how wanted and loved that baby was and how heartbreaking it was for her to lose it. She seemed so grateful for the cookies and hugged me and it felt so good. It felt so good just to do something small to make someone smile.
Blackcat31 02:05 PM 07-14-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I baked chocolate chip cookies for a dcm today. She miscarried a baby over the weekend, and although she was still very early in the pregnancy, I know how wanted and loved that baby was and how heartbreaking it was for her to lose it. She seemed so grateful for the cookies and hugged me and it felt so good. It felt so good just to do something small to make someone smile.
It's always the littlest things that make the biggest impact.
grandmom 03:04 PM 07-14-2011
I volunteere at the traveling Dignity Vietnam War Memorial Wall and helped people find names of fallen soldiers on the Wall.
Cat Herder 04:12 PM 07-14-2011
Originally Posted by grandmom:
I volunteere at the traveling Dignity Vietnam War Memorial Wall and helped people find names of fallen soldiers on the Wall.
Thank you

It is breathtaking, isn't it?

The people that you meet doing that will touch you in a way few things can.

Were the paintings on display, too??
familyschoolcare 04:20 PM 07-14-2011
I gave a disabled lady a ride to and from a doctor appointment today.
JenNJ 04:36 PM 07-14-2011
This sounds exactly like my dad (my mom is still here though). I have made an effort lately as well and have started bringing up topics that I know he loves in hopes of hearing NEW stories, lol.

I have an awesome dc mom that I love. She was job hunting for months and went on an interview so her kids were here for just 2 hours. I didn't charge her for that day. I know things can be when money is tight and I am fortunate to have free sitters for my kids when needed. I wanted to pass it on.
Unregistered 04:35 AM 07-15-2011
My family took in two of the dc kids for 7 days/nights so the parents could vacation abroad...at no charge :-)(MARSTELAC here....cannot find my password at the moment)...
kidkair 06:03 AM 07-15-2011
My dad's the same way. He's a writer though so I asked him to write out some of his favorite stories so that I have a record of them after he's gone. Since then it's been much more new material and he has written out some of his past and is working to do more. It'll be great to have when I can no longer have 2-3 hour chats with him.
MG&Lsmom 10:08 AM 07-15-2011
We are helping to raise a service dog for a local prison puppy program. He stays with us on the weekends. We socialize him in public and teach him good house manners, attend trainings, etc. When he's 14-18 months old, he'll go off to work with his human partner, and we start the process all over again.
SilverSabre25 10:11 AM 07-15-2011
Originally Posted by MG&Lsmom:
We are helping to raise a service dog for a local prison puppy program. He stays with us on the weekends. We socialize him in public and teach him good house manners, attend trainings, etc. When he's 14-18 months old, he'll go off to work with his human partner, and we start the process all over again.
Ooohhh, I want SO BADLY to do puppy raising someday!
MG&Lsmom 10:22 AM 07-15-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Ooohhh, I want SO BADLY to do puppy raising someday!
DO IT! It's so rewarding. I have to say, we get so much out of it, so maybe it's not as selfless as we think. We have learned the proper way to train a dog, everything from pottying to advanced commands. We have the benefit of 'having' a dog but without the cost. And my daughter with autism reaps benefits we can not yet explain but I swear she is 100% better when he is here. If we had the financial means we would apply for a dog for her. For now it is what it is and one day when she's old enough to take the handlers test we will get one.
Unregistered 07:38 PM 07-17-2011
Took coffee to a friend who was having a harried day. She was out of coffee... I filled two go mugs at home and took them over.
deliberateliterate 11:52 AM 10-07-2014
I hope it's OK that I bumped this, it's such a great idea for a post.

Mine is not wonderful, but it's all I can think of. I read on my local Facebook mom's page that one of my DCMs was looking to by some used fall clothing, so I purged my son's closet and gave her all of his old cold weather stuff.
Kabob 12:38 PM 10-07-2014
This thread is old but I think it is a good idea.

I took my friend with me on my errands and had her drive. She is currently practicing for her license at the age of 25 as she has a severe phobia of driving. So I took her because her dh is terrified of her driving. I very much so wanted a drink after her driving but she was very grateful for my patience as she went in the ditch a couple times.

I also write handwritten letters to my 90 something year old grandma weekly but that costs me a stamp. She talks a lot too like a pp mentioned their father does so I meet her halfway by writing letters. She saves them and shows them to her visitors back home so I have been working on my penmanship.
melilley 12:54 PM 10-07-2014
I love that this thread was bumped!

I have been getting a ton of calls for infant and toddler care, but I am full right now. These spots are in high demand and a lot of the parents calling for a spot are desperate to find one. I have been contacting other providers in my area (through a fb group that I am in) to see if they have any openings. I then will get back to the parent and give them the information of the providers who do have openings.

It might not seem like much, but some of the providers in my area need to fill spots and aren't finding families and families are desperate to find a quality provider. It makes me feel good to know that I'm helping both parents and providers!
crazydaycarelady 01:11 PM 10-07-2014
For the past 7 days (8 weeks actually) I have been fostering a mama dog and her 6 puppies for the local shelter. The puppies can't be at the shelter until they are fully immunized so I have them until they are old enough to be spayed/neutered and go to their new families.
sahm1225 01:33 PM 10-07-2014
I volunteered at my daughters kindergarten class because the teacher broke her foot. She has 25 students and shared an assistant with another class's... So I told her to sit down and I walked 25 students to the bathroom. Let's just say I think I will bake her some banana bread or something for the patience that woman has. In the 45 minutes I was there I said 'hands to ourselves more that I ever say it to my 2-3 year olds! Lol
Kabob 03:26 PM 10-07-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
For the past 7 days (8 weeks actually) I have been fostering a mama dog and her 6 puppies for the local shelter. The puppies can't be at the shelter until they are fully immunized so I have them until they are old enough to be spayed/neutered and go to their new families.
I've always wanted to foster cats and dogs! My dream when I have the right location...

I overheard a shelter volunteer say to a man looking to adopt a pet that he should foster first because it's like dating a woman before marrying her because "no one with a happy relationship marries a woman they just met at a bar."
AuntTami 05:48 PM 10-07-2014
I've been thinking about this for the last 10 minutes and I'm ashamed to say that it was difficult for me to think of something! I'll have to work on making that a priority. But I did come up with one.
A few days ago a friend of ours came over with his girlfriend and their 3 small children to play for a while. He's unemployed and she just got a job a couple weeks ago, so things are tight for them. The growing season is wrapping up(we have a large, organic garden) so we went through the garden and found 3 shopping bags full of fresh, organic produce for them to enjoy. Tomatoes, peas, green beans, carrots, onions, everything that was left in the garden got sent home with them! We still have some stuff in the green house, but it's getting too cold for any outdoor produce, and they needed it more than we did!
midaycare 06:06 AM 10-08-2014
I try to leave everyone better than I "found" them. Knowing how a bad look, sarcastic tone, or any little thing can ruin someone's day, I try to uplift people by small compliments, recognition, a smile, a nod, etc. Some people have told me that I always have a smile on my face, and that's why.
MarinaVanessa 08:12 AM 10-08-2014
I helped friend's of mine move when their family members flaked on them
NightOwl 03:22 PM 10-08-2014
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
A friend of mine gave me a coupon for a free photo book on shutterfly. It expired today, but I made sure to use it. I ordered the book Saturday night.<br />
<br />
I used it for a friend of mine who's baby died July 7th. Today he would have been 4 months old. He died unexpectedly (SIDS?). I &quot;stole&quot; all the pictures I could find from facebook and put them along with some poetry in this book. I did talk to baby's grandma about the project beforehand to make sure I wouldn't get in trouble and/or hurt peoples feelings for &quot;stealing&quot; their pictures.<br />
<br />
I had something nice happen to me too yesterday. My dad came over and rototilled my garden. Our garden is huge and was starting to get away from me. It measures 50'x175'.
<br />
<br />
That is so very thoughtful and kind of you. And a fantastic idea! So many people can't handle having pictures around the house when someone passes, but having the pictures in a book to be pulled out when they want is an awesome idea.

I know this thread is an oldie, but it's a goodie. :-)
Tags:charity, community helper, giving back, positive
Reply Up