Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Doorknob Covers
sharlan 09:49 PM 04-22-2012
I need to find a way to prevent my 5 yo from opening the front door, yet allow people to enter from the outside. We have a deadbolt lock that can be opened from the outside with a code. I've been using the plastic doorknob covers that you squeeze to open, but he can open them faster than any adult can.
MissAnn 03:51 AM 04-23-2012
I use a door alarm. If he opens the door, at least you can hear it. I pretty sure it was under $10 and I bought it at Lowe's or Home Depot. I use one on my front and one on my back door. It also lets me know when a parent walked in.
Kaddidle Care 04:33 AM 04-23-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I've been using the plastic doorknob covers that you squeeze to open, but he can open them faster than any adult can.
We found that out too. Those things are pretty useless unless you don't want adults to open it. The kids were better at using it than we were!

At 5 he is old enough to know that the main door is to be opened by Adults only. Enforce that rule and make sure the parents know it too. It's one we enforce with the playground gate. It makes me crazy when the parents allow the children to open the gate. I stand there and tell them "Stop! For adults only" while the parent is there.
safechner 12:53 PM 04-23-2012
I bought childproof to cover knobs and it seems not work very good. I like the old one back in 2001 but they don't make strong like that anymore. The kids can open it, anyways.

My husband and I decided we get the lock with key from outside and inside. It works very well. I do carry the key in my pocket if I need to open the door when the parents arrived or answered the door. I have for 4 years with no problems.
SunshineMama 06:40 AM 04-24-2012
I have an alarm that beeps when any door is open, and I have the doorknob covers too. My dd can open it but she knows she will be in big trouble if she does.

Maybe have a safety talk with him? He is old enough to be able to understand.
Sunchimes 07:34 AM 04-24-2012
This may be the same kind of cover you are talking about, but you don't squeeze mine. They snap over the knob and there are holes cut out on each side. To open the door, you have to put your fingers in the holes and grasp the actual door knob, then turn. So far, no one's fingers stretch enough to fit into the holes.
sharlan 09:14 AM 04-24-2012
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
This may be the same kind of cover you are talking about, but you don't squeeze mine. They snap over the knob and there are holes cut out on each side. To open the door, you have to put your fingers in the holes and grasp the actual door knob, then turn. So far, no one's fingers stretch enough to fit into the holes.
This is what I have and he can open it faster than any adult. I used to have one that you had to squeeze, it was harder for him to open, but I can't find them anymore.
Tags:doorknob covers, safety items
Reply Up