Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Random Drug Testing on Child Care Workers
Yvonne 01:42 PM 03-03-2011
After calling several Child Care Providers in my area in both Beauregard and Vernon Parishes, I have found out that NONE of them perform any random drug testing on their employees! A few stated, "it's not required by the State". Some didn't even understand what I was talking about, others - at least one - was offended and put off by my questions... she had 16 Staff working in that agency, not to mention the Administrative staff.
One told me the only requirement is upon their initial hiring !

The Child Care Statistics are 4 % of people (ages 18 - 64) admitted to using illegal and legal drugs and/or alcohol in the last month. Those are the ones that got caught (arrested) and were able to contribute to these statistics. It does not include those who have not had any consequences yet from their addictions. That means at least 1 out of every 25 employees admitted they have an substance abuse addiction problem. What about the ones who use drugs and drink every day ? This definitely interferes with their decision making, their patience and tolerance levels - ALL of which are Vital in Caring for young children - especially if they're not their own child !

So they're saying that they are NOT randomly monitoring their Staff who provide direct care 1:1 for our children??? And we PAY these agencies to provide child care Safety ? Most accidents happen in Child Care due to negligence ... You would think they would safeguard their treatment centers and "randomly drug test" their employees.

My Children are important to me and I will not leave them in the care of anyone who doesn't ensure their Absolute Safety Under All Circumstances.

I am currently looking into the laws governing this ... Please help me by starting a chain on this Topic to Get THEIR ATTENTION in keeping our Children Safe from not only sexual predators, but the silent alcoholic and addict who cares more about their drugs than my child.
Thank You ~
Michael 01:46 PM 03-03-2011
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum Yvonne!
Blackcat31 01:54 PM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by Yvonne:
After calling several Child Care Providers in my area in both Beauregard and Vernon Parishes, I have found out that NONE of them perform any random drug testing on their employees! A few stated, "it's not required by the State". Some didn't even understand what I was talking about, others - at least one - was offended and put off by my questions... she had 16 Staff working in that agency, not to mention the Administrative staff.

The Child Care Statistics are 4 % of people (ages 18 - 64) admitted to using illegal and legal drugs and/or alcohol in the last month. Those are the ones that got caught (arrested) and were able to contribute to these statistics. It does not include those who have not had any consequences yet from their addictions. That means at least 1 out of every 25 employees admitted they have an substance abuse addiction problem. What about the ones who use drugs and drink every day ? This definitely interferes with their decision making, their patience and tolerance levels - ALL of which are Vital in Caring for young children - especially if they're not their own child !

So they're saying that they are NOT randomly monitoring their Staff who provide direct care 1:1 for our children??? And we PAY these agencies to provide child care Safety ? Most accidents happen in Child Care due to negligence ... You would think they would safeguard their treatment centers and "randomly drug test" their employees.

My Children are important to me and I will not leave them in the care of anyone who doesn't ensure their Absolute Safety Under All Circumstances.

I am currently looking into the laws governing this ... Please help me by starting a chain on this Topic to Get THEIR ATTENTION in keeping our Children Safe from not only sexual predators, but the silent alcoholic and addict who cares more about their drugs than my child.
Thank You ~
When the number rises so will the mandatory testing....until then, upon hiring is all the state requires....
Maybe we should drug test parents on a random basis too? How about grandparents or teachers or camp counselors?

My advice in your search for childcare; Hire a nanny and make one of YOUR personal requirments be random drug testing....

Sorry, I don't want to be part of any chain asking for random drug testing.
I don't know why, but I am offended by this post....

BTW: I am a non-smoker and a non-drinker and a non-drug taker OF ANY KIND!!!
ammama 01:59 PM 03-03-2011
I do not take drugs either, although I do have a glass of wine with supper a couple of times a week, when i'm not pregnant, at least. I would never submit to random drug testing by my agency. It is an invasion of privacy. I don't think it is any of their business if I had a glass of wine last night. It is up to parents to judge the character of their childcare provider.
KEG123 01:59 PM 03-03-2011
What about those who are prescribed medications but abuse them? Those are the hardest ones to find out. I don't want to be a part of anything that randomly drug tests either. I feel it's an invasion of privacy. What if I drink on weekends, should I be charged with that? Don't think so.
Cat Herder 02:04 PM 03-03-2011
Absolutely!! As soon as all the parents that receive childcare assistance have to do the same...

Actually I am tested yearly and have to do a TB, Hep Screen as well for my other job, so I could care less either way....
nannyde 02:53 PM 03-03-2011
Most accidents happen in Child Care due to negligence ...
And most accidents happen in parental care due to negligence.

Parents too? Are you willing to pay as a tax payer to have goverment subsidized random parental drug testing? If parents don't comply it's considered abuse and neglect and they are prosecuted?

Children are much more likely to be harmed in thier cars on the way to day care than they are at day care. Can we drug test anyone who drives a car when kids are on the road?

If we are going to do it then let's do it.

While we are at it lets drug test the babies too. A quick swab to the mouth mucosa for tylenol and advil?

Now THAT would change the face of child care.
Angelwings36 02:57 PM 03-03-2011
I have a drink or two after work 2-3 times a week and have drinks with my gf's on the weekend. Does that mean I am negligant to the children in my care???? I do not support this thread at all and am insulted!
morgan24 04:24 PM 03-03-2011
The day I am required to do a mandatory drug test would be my last day doing daycare.
MyAngels 05:41 PM 03-03-2011

Thank You ~
Seriously - get down off your soapbox and hire a nanny. I'm thinking you can both go get your tests together.
JenNJ 05:59 PM 03-03-2011
Stay home with your child. You clearly have MAJOR trust issues with everyone though only 4% are untrustworthy.
Yvonne 10:51 PM 03-03-2011
So be it.
If someone has random drug testing to drive a truck for the Dept of Transportation to ensure public safety ... and bus drivers who drive our school busses. But you disagree on random drug testing for child care workers ? Come on. Get real. It is the responsibility of parents to ensure the safety of their children. Plain and simple. Glad to ruffle some feathers here.
But ya know... as a point of reference. Only 10 people had an opinion - so far - and 10 people do not constitute any majority in my book. So please .. if you have an opinion, try to not personalize your opinions - we're not talking about YOU having a drink after work.... who here actually spoke about the symptoms of addiction? Loss of control, loss of focus and patience, lack of good/sound judgement, inability concentrate, etc. These are all vital in caring for children who frequently act impulsively, become unruly - testing any normal rational adult into check their reactions.

I don't care if you have a drink after dinner. This doesn't make you an alcoholic. But did you know it takes one hour per ounce of alcohol to be broken down by the liver So if you have a bottle of wine after work, it can take as long as 3 hours to be out of your system... go do the math. Or take meds prescribed by your doctor. Opiates (pain killers) show up on drug tests. Marijuana shows up on drug tests. If you have a valid prescription, fine. If you have a problem - and you know your company performs random drug testing, then guess what ??? you probably won't want to work there. Drug testing acts as a deterrent. Works for me.

Get a Nanny ? Get real. I want to be able to send my child to a place where I know Negligence due to Drug abuse can be ruled out. Not guaranteed, but ruled out as a potential hazard. Like putting plugs in light sockets that babies can reach. Good old, smart preventative measures.
nannyde 02:31 AM 03-04-2011
Glad to ruffle some feathers here.
Do you think you are the first person to come up with this?

Why are you leaving your child now with untested employees? Isn't that terribly negligent on your part?
pinkbunny85 04:15 AM 03-04-2011
no offense. but I'm on the fence about this. for centers (which it seems where you are going to send your child) I believe in an inital drug test. and only again if you have probable cause to do another one. like say you have a worker coming in eyes glazed, blood-shot.

also, for a lot of places that do random drug testing they give a bit of notice. at least around here they do. have always given 24 hour notice. and people that do those kinds of things know how to get around it showing up.
MyAngels 04:24 AM 03-04-2011
Who will pay for your random drug tests? It's an expensive thing to impose on centers, let alone home daycare providers. Parents b**ch, moan and complain now about the costs of sending their children to a quality program, do you honestly think they would absorb this cost willingly?

And, as Nannyde said, you are not the first to think of this. There are reasons aplenty that it has never been implemented.

Your figure of 4% of admitted drug users is among the general population, not among child care workers. If you're genuinly concerned, that's the demographic you should look at.
JenNJ 04:52 AM 03-04-2011
If you are so sure in your opinion, the only responsible thing to do is stay home with your child or hire a nanny and make drug testing part of her contract. I used to nanny and I signed on knowing I could be drug tested or recorded at any time.

Your opinion is not going to change the way thousands of daycares are run across the country. Random drug testing requires money and parents generally look for the best care they an afford. Most parents will not agree to paying the extra fees to drug test employees in centers. That's a lot of extra money per week.

If any of my clients asked to drug test me, I would be OK with that but they would have to pay for it. Pay for my time to drive there, sit there, be tested, drive home, and all missed wages. Also gas and wear and tear on my car. If they choose to pay for it, no problem. If not they need to find a new provider.
morgan24 05:30 AM 03-04-2011
You state that 10 people do not constiture any majority in your book but in your first post you quoted: The Child Care Statistics are 4 % of people (ages 18 - 64) admitted to using illegal and legal drugs and/or alcohol in the last month. I don't consider 4% to be a majority either.

In a center setting I think that the director would be the one to observe the employees and take action if they suspect something. I do not think that they should be drug tested just in case.

I'm a home provider and I would never accept a parent into my program who would ask for a drug test, that indicates to me you already don't trust me and I would consider that type of a parent as a huge liability.
MyAngels 05:40 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
If any of my clients asked to drug test me, I would be OK with that but they would have to pay for it. Pay for my time to drive there, sit there, be tested, drive home, and all missed wages. Also gas and wear and tear on my car. If they choose to pay for it, no problem. If not they need to find a new provider.
I think you've hit upon the solution to the OP's dilemma. Since she is so worried about this issue, and does not wish to hire a nanny to quell her fears, she should offer to pay for the drug testing program at the daycare center of her choosing.

Think of it - she could be a hero among her peers. Other parents would soon say, "Look, Yvonne has put her money where her mouth is. Maybe we should all be paying for the random drug testing of our providers, too." Next thing you know, parents everywhere would be offering to pay for the testing too.

A side benefit, of course, would be that this would scare any prospective drug users from seeking employment in child care because, as we all know, these tests cannot be manipulated in any way.

It's genius, really. What about it OP, ready to put your money where your mouth is?
Blackcat31 06:03 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I think you've hit upon the solution to the OP's dilemma. Since she is so worried about this issue, and does not wish to hire a nanny to quell her fears, she should offer to pay for the drug testing program at the daycare center of her choosing.

Think of it - she could be a hero among her peers. Other parents would soon say, "Look, Yvonne has put her money where her mouth is. Maybe we should all be paying for the random drug testing of our providers, too." Next thing you know, parents everywhere would be offering to pay for the testing too.

A side benefit, of course, would be that this would scare any prospective drug users from seeking employment in child care because, as we all know, these tests cannot be manipulated in any way.

It's genius, really. What about it OP, ready to put your money where your mouth is?
Of course this goes both ways......If Yvonne wants to pay for and request drug testing on her child's caregivers then she better be fully prepared to do the same. If I worked in the center she brings her child to, I would fork over the cash to have her submit to random testing too since I don't trust a parent who doesn't trust me.

The parents in my care and I have built a trusting, respectful and caring relationship with each other. We don't ask each other to pee in a cup.

But if they ever did ask me....you can bet your bottom dollar I am going to follow the Golden Rule and hand them a 5 oz. plastic Dixie cup!
jen 06:37 AM 03-04-2011
So be it.
If someone has random drug testing to drive a truck for the Dept of Transportation to ensure public safety ... and bus drivers who drive our school busses. But you disagree on random drug testing for child care workers ? Come on. Get real. It is the responsibility of parents to ensure the safety of their children. Plain and simple. Glad to ruffle some feathers here.
But ya know... as a point of reference. Only 10 people had an opinion - so far - and 10 people do not constitute any majority in my book. So please .. if you have an opinion, try to not personalize your opinions - we're not talking about YOU having a drink after work.... who here actually spoke about the symptoms of addiction? Loss of control, loss of focus and patience, lack of good/sound judgement, inability concentrate, etc. These are all vital in caring for children who frequently act impulsively, become unruly - testing any normal rational adult into check their reactions.

I don't care if you have a drink after dinner. This doesn't make you an alcoholic. But did you know it takes one hour per ounce of alcohol to be broken down by the liver So if you have a bottle of wine after work, it can take as long as 3 hours to be out of your system... go do the math. Or take meds prescribed by your doctor. Opiates (pain killers) show up on drug tests. Marijuana shows up on drug tests. If you have a valid prescription, fine. If you have a problem - and you know your company performs random drug testing, then guess what ??? you probably won't want to work there. Drug testing acts as a deterrent. Works for me.

Get a Nanny ? Get real. I want to be able to send my child to a place where I know Negligence due to Drug abuse can be ruled out. Not guaranteed, but ruled out as a potential hazard. Like putting plugs in light sockets that babies can reach. Good old, smart preventative measures.
LOL... I didn't reply because your post fails on several levels...let's go...

First of all, the tone of your post isn't going to win anyone over. If you want to be successful in your campaign, try being a bit more personable.

Now for the practicalities...

There are approximately 1,300,000 people employed as a Child Care Workers in the United States. The average price per drug test nationally is about $44 per test. Let's say we test 20% of the total daycare workforce annually, that is 260,000 employees at a rate of $44 each, for a total of $1,1440,000 annually. Of course, that is in addition to the pre-employment drug testing that already exists in a number of settings.

That is ONLY the cost of the test itself. Who exactly is going to oversee this great idea? The government? How much will that cost the tax payers? Can we even begin to afford the government programs that we already have in place? What should get rid of to pay for it?

Another consideration...you can only regulate licensed providers. How many providers will just say forget it on principle and either discontinue services or beging to do unlicensed care. What will that do to the price of daycare, not to mention overall oversight? Less providers equals higher costs, more unlicensed care means less oversight, not more.

You clearly have very specific needs and some trust issues. Find yourself a nanny or family member who you trust.

http://www.studentscholarships.org/p...re_workers.php

http://www.ohsinc.com/DRUG_TESTING_C..._TEST_COST.htm
MyAngels 06:47 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Of course this goes both ways......If Yvonne wants to pay for and request drug testing on her child's caregivers then she better be fully prepared to do the same. If I worked in the center she brings her child to, I would fork over the cash to have her submit to random testing too since I don't trust a parent who doesn't trust me.

The parents in my care and I have built a trusting, respectful and caring relationship with each other. We don't ask each other to pee in a cup.

But if they ever did ask me....you can bet your bottom dollar I am going to follow the Golden Rule and hand them a 5 oz. plastic Dixie cup!
Sort of an "You show me yours, I'll show you mine" thing. I like it!
missnikki 06:48 AM 03-04-2011
. But did you know it takes one hour per ounce of alcohol to be broken down by the liver So if you have a bottle of wine after work, it can take as long as 3 hours to be out of your system... go do the math.
Are you trolling? Seriously...I did the math.

According to your infallable statistics:

1 bottle of wine= 25.4 ounces
1 hour= 1 ounce "broken down by liver" (don't get me started on that)

Therefore, 1 bottle = 3 hours. I'm not math whiz, but....

Yvonne, there are plenty of qualified people who would watch your child for the right pay, and agree to random drug testing. Hire one of those. But for your sake, bring a calculator to the interview.
Blackcat31 07:43 AM 03-04-2011
*24% of drowning deaths are children under age 5 (NCoS Data 09/10)

*35.7% of deaths in motor vehicle accidents are children under age 5 (Dept of Trans 04/09)

*36% of accidental injury involving children occur in the home (National Hospital/ER Statistic Reports)

*80% of homicides with children as the victim are perpetrated by parents (Administration for Children and Families of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)

Well, it looks to be like we should probably do away with pools, spas, sprinklers, bath tubs and showers....we better drain all the ponds, lakes, rivers and oceans.....

We also need to drug test anyone who drives a motor vehicle because the statistics are high in that area too. Bus drivers, taxi cab drivers, parents, heck, anyone with a drivers license should be randomly tested...or we could just do away with motor vehicles altogether. Gas is too high anyways...plus it would solve the obesity epidemic.....

And we can't possibly allow our children to spend time at home because statistics say that 36% of accidental injuries to children occur in their homes.....

Also did you see that statistics also say that 80% of homicides involving children are perpetrated by parents!!!!

"In 2010, parents, acting alone or with another person, were responsible for 71.0 percent of child abuse or neglect fatalities. More than one-quarter (26.6 percent) of these fatalities were perpetrated by the mother acting alone. " (The National Child Abuse and Neglect Data System (NCANDS)

I am starting to think the safest place for a child is child care!!!! After all, we are governed by a set of rules put in place to protect the child.
nannyde 07:48 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
*24% of drowning deaths are children under age 5 (NCoS Data 09/10)

*35.7% of deaths in motor vehicle accidents are children under age 5 (Dept of Trans 04/09)

*36% of accidental injury involving children occur in the home (National Hospital/ER Statistic Reports)

*80% of homicides with children as the victim are perpetrated by parents (Administration for Children and Families of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)

Well, it looks to be like we should probably do away with pools, spas, sprinklers, bath tubs and showers....we better drain all the ponds, lakes, rivers and oceans.....

We also need to drug test anyone who drives a motor vehicle because the statistics are high in that area too. Bus drivers, taxi cab drivers, parents, heck, anyone with a drivers license should be randomly tested...or we could just do away with motor vehicles altogether. Gas is too high anyways...plus it would solve the obesity epidemic.....

And we can't possibly allow our children to spend time at home because statistics say that 36% of accidental injuries to children occur in their homes.....

Also did you see that statistics also say that 80% of homicides involving children are perpetrated by parents!!!!

"In 2010, parents, acting alone or with another person, were responsible for 71.0 percent of child abuse or neglect fatalities. More than one-quarter (26.6 percent) of these fatalities were perpetrated by the mother acting alone. " (The National Child Abuse and Neglect Data System (NCANDS)

I am starting to think the safest place for a child is child care!!!! After all, we are governed by a set of rules put in place to protect the child.
my work here is done
DBug 07:55 AM 03-04-2011
I, for one, totally agree with Yvonne. I don't trust very many people at all to watch my kids. I'm a non-drinker, non-drug user and non-smoker, and I don't want my kids to be exposed to any of those things. Not even empty bottles or cigarette butts laying around.

So ... that's why I stay home with my kids
Blackcat31 08:19 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by DBug:
I, for one, totally agree with Yvonne. I don't trust very many people at all to watch my kids. I'm a non-drinker, non-drug user and non-smoker, and I don't want my kids to be exposed to any of those things. Not even empty bottles or cigarette butts laying around.

So ... that's why I stay home with my kids
Yes, you may not trust anyone else to watch your child, but you chose to stay home and do it yourself......you are not out trying to rally the troops to pee in cups....

I didn't trust many people to watch my own kids either~they were 10 and 12 the first time I ever left them over night somewhere...but unlike Yvonne, I took responsibility for them rather than make other people submit to rediculous "random testing" so there is a BIG difference between choosing to stay home and do it yourself and making vague accusations toward child care providers.

The message I got from her post was that childcare providers are the "hidden" drug/alcohol users of the world that should be policed better because behind closed doors we are all sniffing the glue sticks we give our kids to do crafts..... and I am offended my the way it was presented.
Unregistered 08:48 AM 03-04-2011
I support the OP. She was not rude in her original post but almost all others were rude. Random drug testing is the norm for all CDL holder's (commercial driver's licenses) nation wide - and this is done for the public's safety. Most large corporations require the test upon hire for all employees. Many perform the tests randomly otherwise for employees depending on company policy.

CDL holders also get their driving records sent to their employer every time they get a traffic violation. I can say that I've worked with an employee who failed the test that had a CDL - they were required to attend mandatory in patient treatment - and we were all scared about the people that could have been killed by that employee under the influence. Random testing isn't bad - it's simply a checking measure. It would realistically work in the center based environment but I can't begin to fathom how it would work in the home based environment because right now, companies are in charge of the random testing themselves. Testing centers are not open 24 hours a day. And I can't imagine states are going to pay for a roaming nurse to go door to door to get these samples. With all the new laws being passed on children's safety, I can realistically see states moving for some type of testing in the future in order to better protect children.

I'm all for testing but working out the logistics of testing in home would be pretty difficult. I can tell you that my child was in a center where I discovered one of the teachers had a long legal record with DUIs and confirmed the probs on the facebook page. Any responsible parent is going to search public records online to find out backgrounds on all caregivers. I pulled my kid out of there. As a child of an alcoholic, I know first hand how hangovers and alcohol abuse affect child rearing and child safety. AND OUR CHILDREN'S SAFETY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOUR PRIVACY!
laundrymom 09:20 AM 03-04-2011
Im all for drug and underage alcohol testing for those who have shown to have issues. Not for only child for workers but teachers, police fire and medical staff. Anyone directly responsible for anothers life. I also think for ANY public aid, housing, food, medical, education, daycare, any public money period, you should be tested, then randomly retested. If you test positive then you get NOTHING for 18mo. Much cheaper to spend $50 bucks on testing, then not pay someones bills for 18 months. Get clean, then ask for help again. When you are clean, trying to Get your life In order, then fine. But I am tired of paying housing food meds and daycare on people who party and enjoy my money so I don't get to. I did get an initial drug test. So did my husband and anyone over 18 in my home. If a dayparent wanted me initially tested and was willing to pay then fine. They don't know me personally. I understand. But to generally say " 1 in 25" so everyone???? Yeah ummm your crazy. Lol.

1 in 25 food poisonings come from salsa. Should. We ban it?
1 in 25 are sociopaths
1 in 25 playstations fail
On certain BMW motorcycles the final drive shaft failure rate after 100,000 miles is 1 in 25.

I personally am more bugged by the playstations than your statistic::
The Child Care Statistics are 4 % of people (ages 18 - 64) admitted to using illegal and legal drugs and/or alcohol in the last month

So 1 in 25 childcare providers admitted they may have had a drink in the past month???

I just don't see your problem.
bgmeyers 09:30 AM 03-04-2011
[quote=Yvonne;89199]So be it.
If someone has random drug testing to drive a truck for the Dept of Transportation to ensure public safety ...

Don't kid yourself on this. It's not for public safety, they just paint it that way. This is for the insurance companies who are trying to protect themselves.

The others have posted on your other ridiculous points, but this was just laughable.
nannyde 09:46 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I support the OP. She was not rude in her original post but almost all others were rude. Random drug testing is the norm for all CDL holder's (commercial driver's licenses) nation wide - and this is done for the public's safety. Most large corporations require the test upon hire for all employees. Many perform the tests randomly otherwise for employees depending on company policy.

CDL holders also get their driving records sent to their employer every time they get a traffic violation. I can say that I've worked with an employee who failed the test that had a CDL - they were required to attend mandatory in patient treatment - and we were all scared about the people that could have been killed by that employee under the influence. Random testing isn't bad - it's simply a checking measure. It would realistically work in the center based environment but I can't begin to fathom how it would work in the home based environment because right now, companies are in charge of the random testing themselves. Testing centers are not open 24 hours a day. And I can't imagine states are going to pay for a roaming nurse to go door to door to get these samples. With all the new laws being passed on children's safety, I can realistically see states moving for some type of testing in the future in order to better protect children.

I'm all for testing but working out the logistics of testing in home would be pretty difficult. I can tell you that my child was in a center where I discovered one of the teachers had a long legal record with DUIs and confirmed the probs on the facebook page. Any responsible parent is going to search public records online to find out backgrounds on all caregivers. I pulled my kid out of there. As a child of an alcoholic, I know first hand how hangovers and alcohol abuse affect child rearing and child safety. AND OUR CHILDREN'S SAFETY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOUR PRIVACY!
What doesn't make sense to me though is you are interested in testing providers and they aren't the biggest risk to the children. The parents are the biggest risk.

I ask this honestly.... why start with providers when all the statistics show that children are markedly more at risk with parents then they are with child care providers. The kids safety is MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE PARENTS PRIVACY?
jen 09:47 AM 03-04-2011
[quote=bgmeyers;89397]
So be it.
If someone has random drug testing to drive a truck for the Dept of Transportation to ensure public safety ...

Don't kid yourself on this. It's not for public safety, they just paint it that way. This is for the insurance companies who are trying to protect themselves.

The others have posted on your other ridiculous points, but this was just laughable.
And...they ya' have it!
JenNJ 09:48 AM 03-04-2011
My privacy may not be important to you, but its very important to me. Its something that my government protects. I won't have anyone take away my privacy without a fight.

Can someone find me a study of drug addicted, alcohol abusing caregivers and their effects on children? BC it would seem to me most parents would notice if your child's caregiver were high or drunk.

And last time I checked, commercial drivers are not childcare providers so why bother comparing job requirements. Do they have their trucks childproofed? Do I need a CDL to take care of babies? The comparison of one job to another is pointless.
Live and Learn 10:18 AM 03-04-2011
If you care so much about your child's safety then you should care for him yourself.

Good luck!
Blackcat31 10:33 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
If you care so much about your child's safety then you should care for him yourself.

Good luck!
yeah, but statistics say that is not the safest place for him to be.....unless she is randomly tested.
laundrymom 10:35 AM 03-04-2011
Recent reports say that 73% of statistics are made up anyway. Lol
Unregistered 10:36 AM 03-04-2011
OP, when you initially started this thread, were YOU high??? Your post was incredibly offensive and you've come to the wrong place to get support for your agenda. Do you realize how much money it would cost to do random drug testing? It's not a financially sound plan. As far as drug testing goes when it comes to home daycare providers, you have the freedom to find another provider but you DO NOT have the right to try to force drug tests on home daycare providers! Please don't compare it to the random drug testing that happens with drivers because it is not the same in any way, shape or form. If this agenda is so important to you, then by all means, pursue it but don't do it on a provider forum! What did you think that you were going to hear? Did you think that all of the providers would be on board with your cause and support you? I can't speak for anyone else here but for me, I don't think that anyone has the right to force me to take a drug test without probable cause. It's a violation of my rights. Your post was insulting and condescending. You need to spew your garbage on a parents forum where you'll find more support.
Meeko 01:57 PM 03-04-2011
If you are SO concerned for the well-being of your child.....and seem to believe that most child care workers are raging alcoholics or junkies (or both)....I am baffled as to why you would even CONSIDER leaving your child with someone else.

How about tightening the belt and taking care of him/her yourself? Now there's a concept........
Unregistered 12:18 PM 03-27-2011
You know almost all employers require that their employees submit to a drug test and even random drug testing, so as a parent, though I am a private employer, I am still an employer and my children are the most important product no matter what. Why shouldn't I be able to drug test my babysitter or nanny? I was searching for information about the subject, because my husband and I are both in the Military and I think as long as I state my intentions in the interview and have the babysitter sign a consent form it is my right as a parent to want the best for my children while I'm at work. I did find a website that had some useful information for parents and even helped my find a full time babysitter as i just became resigned to a new base. It also provided me with a website to download a basic consent form and really good information about drug testing.
You can just never be to careful
Meeko 11:31 AM 03-28-2011
You know almost all employers require that their employees submit to a drug test and even random drug testing, so as a parent, though I am a private employer, I am still an employer and my children are the most important product no matter what. Why shouldn't I be able to drug test my babysitter or nanny? I was searching for information about the subject, because my husband and I are both in the Military and I think as long as I state my intentions in the interview and have the babysitter sign a consent form it is my right as a parent to want the best for my children while I'm at work. I did find a website that had some useful information for parents and even helped my find a full time babysitter as i just became resigned to a new base. It also provided me with a website to download a basic consent form and really good information about drug testing.

You, like many others have this notion that you are your day care provider's employer. You are not. (Unless you take care of all their tax requirements.. supply a W2 etc?)

If you use a child care provider in their home...you are NOT their employer! They are self-employed. They are their own boss.

All they do is offer a service, which you are free to purchase if you wish. But it comes according to HER dictates.

It is HER home. HER rules. The point of an interview is for BOTH parties to see if the arrangement will be a good fit. She is interviewing YOU too! I interview several parents for the same spot and then choose the one I want in my day care. I am choosing a client...not an employer!

If you want to be an employer, get a nanny to come to YOUR home and make sure you take care of all the employer tax requirements.
Missani 12:13 PM 03-28-2011
I don't have a problem being tested. Test me if you want to, but you will need to pay for it and provide back up care for the children while I go.

And, I agree, I am the employer. I am governed by my state through my county, and I am required to follow their rules and laws. I am not required to follow my client's rules. If they would like my services, then they can follow my rules. If not, they can find another child care situation. That is fine with me. If they would LIKE me to take a drug test (as opposed to REQUIRE me to take a drug test which they do not get to make that decision), then I will as long as the above requirements are met.

It's probably time to start testing all elementary, middle, and high school teachers and school employees as well, as surely your (OP) child will someday be in school. You'd better test all coaches, swimming instructors, music and dance teachers, etc. as your child may someday want to do an exracurricular activity. Heaven forbid if you are religious, you'd better start testing all clergy, church staff, high school/college and parent volunteers as your child may want to attend a church activity or class someday. And, let's not forget about all of the parents of your child's friends because your child might want to play at a friend's house someday...they may even want to sleep over in which case you'd better do all siblings/extended family/etc. that may visit the friend's home. Oh, and don't forget about all college employees and students, because surely your child will be in college someday. And once your child is 16, you'd better do all people on the road because he/she will be driving. Then, once your child is allowed to go places alone or with friends, you'd better do all mall employees, restaurant workers, movie theater employees, and all people who ever go out to a public place. Am I missing anyone?

The fact of the matter is that someday, somehow, somewhere your child IS going to be away from you. While I don't mind taking a drug test like I allow a background study, it will be impossible to cover drug testing for every person your child may encounter while you are not there directly supervising. In order to parent, you are going to have to let go a little bit. I understand being a cautious parent, but I don't think you can let it get in the way of allowing your child to grow up. If you can't let go a little bit, you will have to limit your choices to people who will meet your demands, or put your child in a bubble. Otherwise you'd better just plan to spend the next 18 or more years of your life directly supervising your child and not allowing school or any other activities.

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just trying to be practical.
nannyde 01:11 PM 03-28-2011
If you pay unemployment insurance then you can decide to drug test as a condition of employment. I doubt too many self employed people would agree to what you believe is "best interest".

I'm wondering if you came just to promote that site?

The biggest drug problem in child care is infants, toddlers, and preschoolers being brought to child care with advil or tylenol to mask fevers. If you want to go after "best interst" go after that one first.
jen 01:32 PM 03-28-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
If you pay unemployment insurance then you can decide to drug test as a condition of employment. I doubt too many self employed people would agree to what you believe is "best interest".

I'm wondering if you came just to promote that site?

The biggest drug problem in child care is infants, toddlers, and preschoolers being brought to child care with advil or tylenol to mask fevers. If you want to go after "best interst" go after that one first.
Whoa there! I want more that just unemployment insurance!!! I no longer want to pay SELF EMPLOYMENT tax...

Heck, I will be her provider and she can call me her employee, and as such I want no less than $20/hour, I want sick pay and vacation, health insurance, don't forget to pay your portion of my social security benefits.

OH! And it is a legal requirement for you to pay me overtime and paid breaks. When she does ALL of that, then I will pee in a cup on demand!
youretooloud 03:28 PM 03-28-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
And most accidents happen in parental care due to negligence.
So true. If you think of how many kids we have at one time.. for 12 hours a day, for several years, and most of us never have a child injured in our care.

I've taken care of hundreds of kids since 1982, and the only child injured in all those years on my watch, was my own child. (other than minor bumps and scratches)

But, a few times a year, I have someone walk in with a child in a shiny new cast, or stitches. I've never even considered asking or assuming it was neglect or drug abuse. (ok.. once, but if you knew those parents you'd agree)

All employees should be drug tested. Not just those in education or early childhood.

If a parent doesn't trust the childcare providers, that parent should stay home with their kids. No provider or center wants to work with that type of parent.
Tags:alcohol, drug testing, drugs, laws, neglect, safety
Closed Thread Up