Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>HELP-Crying Child!
Bear Cubs Childcare 10:09 AM 02-08-2011
I need help! I have a little guy that has cried from day one. He started when he was 7 mo. old. (He was at home with his teacher mom all summer.) At first I thought he was just getting used to me, my home, being away from mom, etc. But it's still going on and he's 12 mo. old now. He won't stop unless I hold him. I can't hold him the whole time he's here, I have other children that need my assistance also and we would like to do crafts, eat lunch, etc without listening to him cry. I try to get him involved in a toy, craft, anything and it's not working. Unless I am holding him and paying attention to ONLY him, he cries. He'll even stand outside the bathroom when i try to go and he'll pound on the door crying.

I don't know how to talk to mom about this. I've kind of mentioned it before and she says that he does it at home when they are busy trying to cook or whatever (not paying attention to him).
What do I do? I thought as time passed it would get better, but it's only improved slightly. Is this normal for some kids? What can I do to help this? I'm going to go insane listening to this all the time.
Miss Lindsey 10:41 AM 02-08-2011
Dont havr much advice as I am in the same boat...mine is 7months old and been with me over a month...cries and whines if I am not paying attention to ONLY him. I can be 2 feet away on the floor next to him and he cries amd r eaches for me until I look at him and talk to him. I do my best to give equal one on one attention to all the babies, but he makes it very hard! Not to mention he wakes up the other babies by whining and crying.

Hope someone has advice... I am at my end with it too!
Michael 10:23 PM 02-08-2011
Some more threads on crying. I hope some others have more advice for you. https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=crying
Cat Herder 03:47 AM 02-09-2011
We have all had a child like this at some point and there has never been a "one size fits all" answer.

Humans don't have litters for a reason (yeah, I know your head just flashed "octo-mom", but come on; is she really human??) and not all kids have the same emotional needs. Some kids do great in groups while others need one to one care.

Occasionally we are faced with having to let one child go to allow for a peaceful, nurturing environment for the rest.

Granted each child is going to present their own passing issues, but each is typically self-limiting. Those other children deserve the same amount of effort that the one child is taking EVERYDAY.

I know you know this but sometimes we need to hear it, again, since we tend to think we are failing the child by letting them go. The TRUTH of the matter is that we are failing the rest of the group by allowing it to continue.

The fact that the parent says he does it at home yet offers no solution for resolution tells me she really is not concerned how it effects you or the other children. (hmmm, must be channelling Dr. Seuss...)

I, personally, would go to the wall calendar and count out 30 working days from today; place a big start on that date. (alot will say that is too long, that is just my comfort zone, since I have an "Enabling" problem, choose yours for you )

Write Mom a note asking for a "parent/provider plan of action" to solve this issue, leave a big enough space (half page or more) for her to have to really think about it and KNOW she is expected to write it out. (this should include behavioral, diet and medical possibilities)

This will let her know you mean business and that they are at the end of your patience BUT you are willing to work WITH her.

Once you get to that big star on the calendar, if no resolution has panned out, term. Don't let her issues become yours...

Good luck and sending good vibes your way. Few things are harder than continuous crying/screaming while trying to care for a group, aghhhhh!!
Tags:colic, crying
Reply Up