Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Starting Up in Home Daycare in OH
Scout 06:05 PM 08-15-2012
I have decided to quit my job of 15 yrs. to start watching kids & be home with my boys, ages 1& 4. Has anyone ever done this without lining up clients first? I have posted ads & have gotten responses but, still need to give 2 weeks & prepare house. I do not think i will be able to get my first clients without being immediately available. We can not make it on one income & i was wondering if anyone here has ever taken this risk & had it pay off? I really want to start tbis soon as i hate not being here for my boys & to keep up with housework( yes i know the kids will make a mess of it but, if i am happier i will have more energy to keep it up!) I am in the Cleveland, oh area & can have 4 kids withou
t a lisence.
thank you for any advice or answers!
Michael 10:18 PM 08-15-2012
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now.
boysx5 03:36 AM 08-16-2012
I took this risk 16 years ago and it paid off. Now there are times when the business goes uo and down this summer I was full but in the next two weeks I am done to four kids. Its going to be nice to have a break. Word of mouth is what has always worked for me. Good luck
cheerfuldom 05:39 AM 08-16-2012
I would err on the side of caution. Home daycare can be a rollecoaster....I would get the house ready now and start interviewing. You need to figure out how many kids you HAVE to have in order to give notice at work, you should also figure out a cushion with your personal finances because kids can come and go so fast.....you dont want to be stuck with no income because a family has left and you arent able to fill the spot immediately. Its not just about getting those initial families, its also about being able to maintain this long term.
Crazy8 10:47 AM 08-16-2012
I assume you have figured out that 4 kids is enough of an income for you?? Next question is how long can you get by on less??

I agree with cheefuldom that you should get the house ready now while you are still working. Once you have that done start interviewing. I don't think I've ever had a client need a spot sooner than 2 weeks. BUT, the problem is you probably need to line up more than one client so I would schedule as many interviews as you can in a course of a few days and then within a few days you'd know if you can make it work.

I had planned to quit my job once I got my house set up and got my license but ended up being "downsized" right before I moved into that house. Fortunately I was able to collect unemployment up until I got my first dck's and fortunately they were a family with 2 kids. 2 kids = my unemployment check so I knew I could survive the month or two it took for me to get 2 more kids.
itlw8 11:17 AM 08-16-2012
start by adding up your expenses you will not longer have if you do not work outside the home.

childcare, lunch, gas, take out meals because you are tired.... now you will see you can make less than you thought..

Then start saving all the cash you can. Make a cushion to get you by for a few months if needed.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:47 AM 08-16-2012
I am in Ohio also but not in a city. It took me 3 months to get my first kidlet (i had taken a year off so I knew people but it took a while) I had one for 4 months before getting more. It has taken me 2 years to the point that I have a waiting list etc.
Check out my FB page if you want
www.facebook.com/MrsSteinelsHouse
Tags:ohio
Reply Up