Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Update On Child Who's Mother Wouldn't Let Him Get His Sleep/Child Punched Mother
permanentvacation 04:57 AM 09-30-2014
These two situations are from the same 2 year old boy.

Well, for the past week or so, his mother and grandmother have allowed him to get the 11/12 hours of sleep he needs each night. I can tell a big difference in him. He is wide awake when he arrives now and does not scream/cry at me at all now.

However, the mother (I think because she can't see him after work since she's letting him sleep) is now carrying him from the car to my house every morning and then standing in the house holding him, swaying with him, telling him how much she will miss him, (she is also telling him to be a good boy for me), and just coddling him for 2-10 minutes each morning at drop off time! UGHHHH!!! So of course, because of that, he's crying at drop off time, when she finally puts him down, he's reaching up for her and crying, and I have to pull him away from her.

I told his mom this morning that it would help him if she let him walk into the daycare on his own and she quickly told him, 'Bye, I love you, have a good day.' then kissed him and left. I told here that the quicker drop off time is, the better it is for him, and that if he walks in rather than be carried in, it really helps as well. And of course she informed me that she could/would not be able to do that.

I am truly beating my head against a wall with this lady! I am almost twice her age, and have been doing licensed daycare for longer than she has been alive. I would think I know what works for children better than she does. Why is it that no matter what I suggest to her, she is determined to do the opposite of and gives me her excuses as to why she can't/won't do what will help her child?

I'll answer that. I think it's 'mom has to work guilt'. With this child, she can't see him at night unless she keeps him up too late. She finally agreed to let him get his sleep, so she can't see him at night. So at drop off time, she knows she won't see him until the next morning and is really upset about it. I have a suggestion for her on how to fix this problem too. Stop going on vacations every weekend! Then she wouldn't need to work so long every day to make extra money for a weekly weekend vacation. I've never known someone who goes to the Ocean every other weekend and goes on weekend trips to Washing DC and other places the opposite weekends. So, her child and I are going through Hell every day for 5 days so she can enjoy a vacation/weekend trip every weekend!

This morning, I didn't pull him away. I just demanded to him, "That's enough, now go play." Of course he kept crying. I commanded to him that he stop crying and go play. After a couple of minutes of me asking him if he's allowed to cry here and making him respond with a "No ma'am." and then me making him tell me, 'I will not cry', he finally went off to play without crying.
Up