Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Steps for NonPayment
KayB 01:02 PM 02-06-2017
I remember awhile back and I "think" it was blackcat that gave us some good steps to take when you have a parent that left without notice. I am trying to recover my two weeks notice payment and she told me that she would come by on the 7th (tomorrow) to pay. I sent a nice text reminding her but no reply. I would like to be prepared in case she doesn't show up tomorrow. Does anyone remember this thread that I am talking about??
Ariana 05:37 PM 02-06-2017
I am sure she will chime in!

I wanted to tell you to get the two weeks upfront as a deposit next time. This way you don't have to chase your money if they leave without giving notice
lovemydaycare0912 10:00 AM 02-07-2017
I call and send a message. If no response I email them reminding of late fees. I then certify mail and send 1 regular mail letter and give them a date. If nothing after that, then I would take to court. That stopped my last DCF that left with no notice. They paid money and late fee to prevent it from going to court.
KayB 11:39 AM 02-07-2017
I only make them pay before care and have done it this way the whole 22 years I have been doing this. This will be my 2nd family leaving without notice within the last 2 years! I supposed I better change things up and start having them pay 2 weeks when they start. So altogether they will be paying 3 weeks when they start ...correct?? That is if they pay weekly.
Blackcat31 12:46 PM 02-07-2017
Originally Posted by KayB:
I only make them pay before care and have done it this way the whole 22 years I have been doing this. This will be my 2nd family leaving without notice within the last 2 years! I supposed I better change things up and start having them pay 2 weeks when they start. So altogether they will be paying 3 weeks when they start ...correct?? That is if they pay weekly.
Does this parent owe for services provided or just the two week notice period?

She said she'd come by today but I am assuming you don't think she will follow through?
KayB 05:18 PM 02-07-2017
Just for the two weeks. Yes, they were supposed to be by today and been texting with them and they said they were waiting on the dcd's check. It is 7:15pm here and yes I have a feeling I am getting the run around
Blackcat31 05:37 AM 02-08-2017
Just for the two weeks. Yes, they were supposed to be by today and been texting with them and they said they were waiting on the dcd's check. It is 7:15pm here and yes I have a feeling I am getting the run around
Did they show up?
KayB 08:35 AM 02-08-2017
Nope! The dcd went on to ask me what the big deal is...he said he would pay but was waiting on his check. Went on to tell me how he is a car salesman and they only get paid once a month and he can not just pull it out of his a$$ and he doesn't know what the big deal is! When the dcm picked up child on January 20th and told me that day would be their last day I told her we have an agreement for 2 weeks required. She told me they could not afford it and pay other daycare. I was nice enough and told her just one week and she said ok, but won't be until the 7th and I said ok. Now here we are....nothing!
Blackcat31 08:44 AM 02-08-2017
Nope! The dcd went on to ask me what the big deal is...he said he would pay but was waiting on his check. Went on to tell me how he is a car salesman and they only get paid once a month and he can not just pull it out of his a$$ and he doesn't know what the big deal is! When the dcm picked up child on January 20th and told me that day would be their last day I told her we have an agreement for 2 weeks required. She told me they could not afford it and pay other daycare. I was nice enough and told her just one week and she said ok, but won't be until the 7th and I said ok. Now here we are....nothing!
Stop talking to them then....

Send out a certified letter outlining the charges (what they owe and any late fees) and include a copy of the contract signature page where they signed.

State what day you want payment by and what you will do if payment is not made by that day.

If you plan to file in small claims court, they will be responsible for the filing fees if they lose and since you have proof (texts/e-mails and a signed contract) you will more than likely win hands down.

Don't accept a check at this point and don't give them too much time to make payment.. I'd be willing to wait 10 business days but I wouldn't wait any more than that.

They can borrow from someone else or skip their cell payment but bottom line is they owe you and agreed and said they would pay.
KayB 09:12 AM 02-08-2017
Thanks for your help blackcat!!!
Tags:money owed, nonpayment
Reply Up