Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Should I Charge?
Bizzymom1111 08:39 PM 11-26-2010
I have a new mom who enrolled her 6 week old on 10-24-2010. She signed my contract which defines what hours she is reserving, and how much it will be weekly. She put her start date for 11-2-10. On 10-31-10, she called to say she would not be starting him until 12-1-10. She paid me the initial enrollment fee(25$) but then said she would bring over the deposit( which I use towards the last week of care) and I said that was fine and that the spot would be held. Well now I get another call and she doesn't think he'll be starting till January! I usually charge $75/ month to hold a spot(3 month limit) but I'm not sure what to charge her for December, because she did sign the contract, and technically she should be paying me weekly. I was really counting on that income, and I don't know if I should just charge her the $75 to hold it, or if I should require her to pay me weekly, for December.I usually charge the $75 to people who want to hold the spot but haven't signed the contract yet- maybe because they are not sure of what hours they need to reserve- but have gotten all the other paperwork ba k. This mom has a signed contract and her child was already supposed to have started, so I guess I just don't know what I should charge her. Like I said, I wasreally counting on that income, and have turned away someone with a baby who wanted to start right away.
Anyways, any ideas are so very welcome! Thanks in advance!
momofboys 05:53 AM 11-27-2010
I would definitely charge her 1/2 the normal weekly rate from the point of your signed contract date on. You have turned down clients who need you now & she keeps putting off her return date. Not fair to you at all. But I would definitely charge her something. I just had this happen to me only the mom finally after several months of putting off her return decided to stay home with baby & there I was naive as ever & had not charged her a dime to hold a spot she never was going to use. So definitely charge. If you feel the need explain to the mom that you have turned down clients b/c you thought her child was coming as of X date. KUP!
AfterSchoolMom 07:02 AM 11-27-2010
I'd charge her weekly, at least something. If the child HAD started and now wasn't coming for a month, you'd still expect to be paid, right? Tell the Mom that she owes X amount weekly until the start date, or needs to give her two weeks' notice (and pay for them) so that you can fill her spot.
safechner 09:57 AM 11-27-2010
I would charge her 1/2 rate weekly because it seems not fair to you for holding that long for her. Just emailing her to let her know that you are fine with it until Jan but she would need to pay 1/2 rate weekly until he started with you in January.
Abigail 07:27 PM 11-27-2010
Do you have anything in your policies about holding a spot? I would charge her $75 for November holding. Have they turned in their money for their last week(s) of care yet? Really, I would make sure you have that money and all signed paperwork before hand.

You should create a new contract stating the new enrollment date. If it is in your policies up to three months of holding maximum, then you should still only charge that $75 for December too. If she wants to move it back again, then she is required to pay weekly full rate or give her two-weeks pay/deposit up because you can only hold spots so long. I personally would look for another family because I don't want to hold spots if I can fill them now.
missnikki 06:49 AM 11-29-2010
I think that if your signed contract states a starting date, and she called to change it, you can be bold and charge her the rate she should have been paying, but in the interest of good business, you should contact her and offer her to come re-sign a new contract with new starting dates, and offer to hold the spot at half price. Like other posters have said, she is stringing you along and you shouldn't have to foot the bill for her indecisiveness.
marniewon 07:37 AM 11-29-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
I think that if your signed contract states a starting date, and she called to change it, you can be bold and charge her the rate she should have been paying, but in the interest of good business, you should contact her and offer her to come re-sign a new contract with new starting dates, and offer to hold the spot at half price. Like other posters have said, she is stringing you along and you shouldn't have to foot the bill for her indecisiveness.
I agree with this, and this is probably what I'd do also. Offer to re-sign contract, and charge her 1/2 price weekly until she starts.
Unregistered 07:54 AM 11-29-2010
Originally Posted by Bizzymom1111:
I have a new mom who enrolled her 6 week old on 10-24-2010. She signed my contract which defines what hours she is reserving, and how much it will be weekly. She put her start date for 11-2-10. On 10-31-10, she called to say she would not be starting him until 12-1-10. She paid me the initial enrollment fee(25$) but then said she would bring over the deposit( which I use towards the last week of care) and I said that was fine and that the spot would be held. Well now I get another call and she doesn't think he'll be starting till January! I usually charge $75/ month to hold a spot(3 month limit) but I'm not sure what to charge her for December, because she did sign the contract, and technically she should be paying me weekly. I was really counting on that income, and I don't know if I should just charge her the $75 to hold it, or if I should require her to pay me weekly, for December.I usually charge the $75 to people who want to hold the spot but haven't signed the contract yet- maybe because they are not sure of what hours they need to reserve- but have gotten all the other paperwork ba k. This mom has a signed contract and her child was already supposed to have started, so I guess I just don't know what I should charge her. Like I said, I wasreally counting on that income, and have turned away someone with a baby who wanted to start right away.
Anyways, any ideas are so very welcome! Thanks in advance!
Considering you said you hold a spot up to 3 months and its a 75 dollar holding fee and is it is in your contract she knows it and will expect to pay 75 again for December thats what I would charge her is the 75 dollar holding fee and tell her its the last time. I would NEVER hold a spot for 3 months I only hold a spot for 4 weeks thats it with a 2 week depoist.
Daycare_Mama 09:34 PM 11-29-2010
If she hadn't signed the contract, then she could pay $75 a month for 3 months, but she signed a contract. Personally, I would notify her that she signed a contract and needs to start paying the full amount now because it seems like she's already kind of stringing you along. It's not like she signed, gave you an exact start date, and stuck with it. I wouldn't trust that she's for sure going to bring the baby at all, so I wouldn't want to lose out on money. Especially since you turned down another family. I would tell her that straight up...you are running a business and you can't afford to hold her spot week after week and turn down someone who would pay the full amount now. If she doesn't understand the logic of this, I wouldn't want to provide childcare for her anyways. Just my opinion!
legomom922 04:48 AM 11-30-2010
How many days will she be coming? What hrs? What are you charging here?? Depending on those answers, I would charge her at least 2 days per week, have her sign a new contract. If she balks, I would say forget it and take someone else. Whose to say she wont call you again and say she will start in Feb? My teachers pay 2 days a wk to hold their spot.
Bizzymom1111 05:32 AM 11-30-2010
She's holding a fulltime spot-50+ hrs/week, m-f, and even one Saturday a month. I charge $135/week for a full time infant spot. She's going to be county pay, so I'm not to happy about the situation. I think I'm going to tell her I'll hold it for her through December if she pays me 1/2 the weekly rate for dec. I agree that it would be no problem if she hadn't signed a contrct, but she did and was supposed to start 11-1. I was counting on that income. I had someone else with an infant(who is currently attending)and she came in sept., wanted to hold the spot till 11-1, and paid me the $75/month fees upfront for the two months. That was how I had intended the $75/month to work, NOT with a signed contract. I find it amazing how many people don't realize that they're signing a CONTRACT, ( which it clearly states and I point it to them MANY times during the interviews) and are responsible for paying what the policy states THE DAY they sign it! Pretty sure I'm going to start advertising the spot. Ugh- people!
Bizzymom1111 08:40 AM 11-30-2010
So, I talked to the mom, and told her I needed her to pay 1/2 the weekly rate for December if she wanted to hold the spot. She can't pay that she says so go ahead and fill the spot then. ARGH! She said she didn't even k ow if she would be back to work in January either. You guys were right- she was totally stringing me along. And I just turned away another infant. I swear, when it comes to dealing with people like this, it makes me not want to do this. Well, better start advertising again: (
Live and Learn 08:44 AM 11-30-2010
Good for you for calling the Mom and talking to her about the situation. I bet someone comes along soon for to fill the spot. these situations usually work out for the best in the long run....good luck.
Bizzymom1111 10:00 AM 11-30-2010
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
Good for you for calling the Mom and talking to her about the situation. I bet someone comes along soon for to fill the spot. these situations usually work out for the best in the long run....good luck.
Thank you! I hope so!
Unregistered 10:17 AM 11-30-2010
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
I agree, this was for the best! The fact that she was county pay is why she didn't care about stringing you along. She wasn't going to pay for it anyways. And she obviously wouldn't then pay out of her own pocket to hold the spot if she wasn't bringing her baby.

If I were you, I honestly wouldn't hold a spot for more than 2 weeks unless it's for a family you already have in care that will need another spot for a baby. Otherwise, you open yourself up for this to happen again.
Bizzymom1111 05:47 PM 11-30-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I agree, this was for the best! The fact that she was county pay is why she didn't care about stringing you along. She wasn't going to pay for it anyways. And she obviously wouldn't then pay out of her own pocket to hold the spot if she wasn't bringing her baby.

If I were you, I honestly wouldn't hold a spot for more than 2 weeks unless it's for a family you already have in care that will need another spot for a baby. Otherwise, you open yourself up for this to happen again.

You're right about the county pay. I've decided not to accept it anymore. EVERY one of my past clients that were on it have had problems with $ or policies or something. I'm very fed up. My private pay clients all value their childcare, have been respectful of my policies, and don't give me a hard time about any of my fees. I'm not saying all county assistance clients are bad, but all the ones I've had, have been. All my current families are private pay- and I think I'm going to keep it that way.

I'm also going to put the kabosh on the three month thing too. I've lost so much income "holding"spots that I just can't afford to do that.
Tags:charges, holding spot
Reply Up