Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fundamentals
Josiegirl 02:50 AM 02-22-2017
I'm behind the times with this course; it's been offered for years but being Ms. Procrastinator that I am I have never taken it. It's now required training and consists of 45 hrs. UGH My spring will revolve around this.
Does every state require this?

Whoever thinks of child care as merely babysitting or is an easy way to make a few bucks, they're wrong wrong wrong.
daycarediva 06:34 AM 02-22-2017
NO, thankfully I don't have to take anything that time consuming.

We only need something like 60 hours of continuing ed every 4 years. I do most online, my CPR/first aid counts as 6 hours, and my food program training is 2 hours a year so it's not too hard to get.
Blackcat31 06:42 AM 02-22-2017
We are required to take 16 hours of training annually.

Those trainings that are required yearly are basic child development and supervision/safety courses.

There are specific ones required for pre-licensing or first yr providers but after that we can take any course available as long as it's focus is basic child development and the other course must be some sort of supervision/safety course.

Of course CPR, First Aid, SUIDS and AHT training are required too but those seem standard for all states.

All our courses are available on-line except for CPR/First Aid.

If you participate in QRIS or accept CCAP or are awarded a grant of any kind there are additional training hours required dependent on what "extra" things you participate in.

I have always surpassed the 16 hour minimum required each year but mostly it's because I like that part (school) of this job
Mike 07:04 AM 02-22-2017
One of the reasons for legal unlicensed here. This is one business where the government does go a bit too far. Sure, it's about child safety, but most of those who make the rules and regulations were probably never in the business.

Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Whoever thinks of child care as merely babysitting or is an easy way to make a few bucks, they're wrong wrong wrong.
You mean I'm picking the wrong business to go into?
daycare 07:34 AM 02-22-2017
we have to have 21 hours here. I know that in CA not all 8 counties are running QRIS the same, so here it depends on what county you live in.

I actually enjoy it....lol
Josiegirl 10:57 AM 02-22-2017
You're exempt from this if you have any college credit courses under your belt. You'd think having 100's of trainings under your belt would qualify! Or years of experience.
racemom 11:30 AM 02-22-2017
We are required to do 12 hours annually, but I currently am on a grant program that requires a 6 hour class 4 times a year, monthly 1 hour meetings, plus coaching 2 hours a month, so yes I am well covered. And we also have 7 domains that require 6 hours of training each, but no time line on getting them done so I do one or two a year.
Reply Up