Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Help With My Space !?!?
Provider_Manda 04:41 PM 01-20-2012

Hey guys,
I seen where someone had posted about organizing her daycare room. Well I am kinda in the position. I have one room that I have as the "daycare room" All the toys, and diapers and everything is in this one room. And it is a small room. I don't have an extra room to seperate anything. And now I have a playpen in my living room and the other kids sleep on the couches. I would love to one day make a nap/changing room..but that will be a long time. I would love to have you guys look at these pics and give me your idea's. I seen some pictures that was posted and what a wonderful job !! Also I need to get some poster's/learning type things for the wall..Do you guys get yours locally or order them from somewhere ? THanks guys hope to get some great feedback !!
Attached: winter 2011 005.jpg (88.4 KB) winter 2011 003.jpg (43.3 KB) winter 2011 002.jpg (44.9 KB) winter 2011 001.jpg (97.2 KB) 
MarinaVanessa 06:04 PM 01-20-2012
I think for me it seems that it's really disoirganized and cluttered without many "furniture" pieces. I guess furniture is difficult though in a small room so I'd tackle all of the toys with some sort or organization like bins or low shelves of some sort. I once saw an idea here about how someone took a tall, slim bookshelf and turned it sideways then added one long shelf across it to make a low shelf for toys. You can do something like this and I don't think it would take up too much room because the shelves are slim. You can put the toys on the shelf so that they aren't all crowded under the changing table.

You can also maybe put the dramatic play stuff in a corner to create a "center" so that the space has a more defined space. Posters would really help you here too since the walls seem so bare and all of the persons eye gets drawn to the toys. Do you have a Dollar Tree store in your area? They have tons of school stuff (for teachers) that I bet you can put up on your walls. I've seen alphabet cut-outs, bulletin board supplies, big posters etc. If not I'd google a discount school supply store and look at their clearance and sale items. Sometimes they have shipping deals.
Sunchimes 06:25 PM 01-20-2012
I was at the Teacher's Tools store in Fort Worth this week. They have some really nice early learning posters for $2.49. They have an online catalog.

http://www.teachers-tools.com/browse...ing/2,118.html
Provider_Manda 06:50 PM 01-20-2012
Thanks so much for the website !! And I know it looks disorganized, and it's even worse cause it is also my son's playroom and now it has even more toys in there..I wish I had a whole other room, but right now that is not going to happen. So I have a big living room..should I put some stuff in there ? I really would love all ideas..I really need some kid furniture, but then again where does it go..lol

My husband made that bench for me that has the books on top and toys on the bottom in the canvas totes. Maybe he needs to make another one ? lol
MarinaVanessa 06:58 PM 01-20-2012
I know what you mean about small spaces. I live in a 1200 sq ft condo and only the downstairs is used for DC. I have one half bath, my living room and kitchen available for DC so I have to get creative with the space. We have a small patio area in the back which I have completely taken over for DC to add to our space.

If I hadn't already started on my deep-cleaning and my stuff wasn't everywhere I'd take photos and show you. I think what helps me is that I have a lot of toys that can be sorted into types which I keep in bins and wooden crates. I don't have many electronic toys or random toys, mostly blocks, lincoln logs, instruments, cars, books and baby toys right now. The rest is in the closet or in the garage. Again, they're all in bins so it doesn't seem so cluttered in here.
SunflowerMama 06:59 PM 01-20-2012
I 2nd the Dollar Tree comment. They have great teacher resources and of course are very affordable.

Because the room is smaller maybe you could add some gutter bookshelves on the wall to pull your books off the bench. This would leave more room for playing plus give you something to help fill the walls. This is what they look like in my room and they save a lot of room. The gutters and all supplies only cost about $12 (we have 4 total shelves in the daycare room).

I also agree with pulling a few toys to open up the room. Maybe get rid of a few of the bigger toys and replace with toys that take up less room but still have a lot of possibilities (blocks, legos, lincoln logs, etc.)...toys that could be stored in those canvas bins you already have to open more floor space. My thought is always "less is more".
Provider_Manda 07:23 PM 01-20-2012
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
I 2nd the Dollar Tree comment. They have great teacher resources and of course are very affordable.

Because the room is smaller maybe you could add some gutter bookshelves on the wall to pull your books off the bench. This would leave more room for playing plus give you something to help fill the walls. This is what they look like in my room and they save a lot of room. The gutters and all supplies only cost about $12 (we have 4 total shelves in the daycare room).

I also agree with pulling a few toys to open up the room. Maybe get rid of a few of the bigger toys and replace with toys that take up less room but still have a lot of possibilities (blocks, legos, lincoln logs, etc.)...toys that could be stored in those canvas bins you already have to open more floor space. My thought is always "less is more".
I love those bookshelves !! What toys do you think I should pull..I already took down the swing and bouncy, the little one I have don't use it..And the turtle is gone !! lol
SilverSabre25 07:59 PM 01-20-2012
I think that maybe pulling the little bitty mini kitchen that's sitting beside the big kitchen would be good...unless you have babies that play with it.

If it's possible to use your living room for daycare space during the day, maybe allowing a few toys out there, that would probably be good so that the kids can spread out more.

What ages and how many kids do you watch?
SunflowerMama 07:59 PM 01-20-2012
Originally Posted by Provider_Manda:
I love those bookshelves !! What toys do you think I should pull..I already took down the swing and bouncy, the little one I have don't use it..And the turtle is gone !! lol
I would maybe get rid of the 2 small toys to the right of the kitchen (mailbox and the other toy). Then I would look at the toys in the bins and just choose maybe half from each that you know they won't miss. Maybe also that green longer toy to the right of the bench...unless it's something they really love.

I think sometimes WE love certain toys and keep them around even when the kids don't play with them. Just re-evaluate what you have and if downsizing might help.
Provider_Manda 08:05 PM 01-20-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I think that maybe pulling the little bitty mini kitchen that's sitting beside the big kitchen would be good...unless you have babies that play with it.

If it's possible to use your living room for daycare space during the day, maybe allowing a few toys out there, that would probably be good so that the kids can spread out more.

What ages and how many kids do you watch?
My son is 2, I watch an 8 month old, 17 month old and a 10 year old.
Michael 09:27 PM 01-20-2012
I'm, seeing walls that could use some higher shelves.
countrymom 04:51 AM 01-21-2012
I think if you need shelves, and some areas. Like I would make a kitchen corner and a reading corner, throw down some fun rugs too. Buy some cheap frames and hang childrens art in them. I love ikea for storage. Or you can buy those wardrobe cabinets from walmart with doors and will hide the stuff so the room looks bigger (I have them and the kids have to ask to go in them because thats where I keep legos and small stuff)
Michelle 05:04 AM 01-21-2012
I would buy those pretty wicker baskets to put diapers,wipes, and extra clothes in to go on the shelves of the changing table.
People associate changing tables with stinky diapers and to have toys stacked in there is kinda icky.
Put the toys in canvas bins or on shelves.
I love your carpet and curtains!
Sprouts 08:34 AM 01-21-2012
I think the posters should be at the children's eye level or they don't really benefit from it. You could also get some really cute wall decals from amazon that are trees or flowers or cute animals to add some animation to the walls. I would try and stay away From any commercial items like Disney and stuff, that's me though. Now is the time to exploit ur husband and his building! Lol

The gutter shelves are really nice idea to save space too!
If no one else minds you using the living room I would def. use it, and maybe use this room for sleep or other activities? Especially for the baby
Michelle 09:29 AM 01-21-2012
Also, it is better that they sleep on mats or cots and not your couches...for sanitary reasons..they pee, drool, etc.
could you put the baby swing and seat in the living room?
Provider_Manda 10:06 AM 01-21-2012
Originally Posted by Michelle:
Also, it is better that they sleep on mats or cots and not your couches...for sanitary reasons..they pee, drool, etc.
could you put the baby swing and seat in the living room?

I have taken the swing and bouncy down because the 8 month old will not use them now. I have two mats for nap, but the kids will not sleep on them. I have a cubby shelf in the closet that I have diapers and wipes in.
Attached: 305020_206777836049659_206641389396637_566962_5958648_n.jpg (42.3 KB) 
Michelle 12:18 PM 01-21-2012
I have taken the swing and bouncy down because the 8 month old will not use them now. I have two mats for nap, but the kids will not sleep on them. I have a cubby shelf in the closet that I have diapers and wipes in.
wow! nice cubbies!
take that cubby out of the closet and put toys in it and use the changing table for diapers/wipes etc. some people even make cute curtains to go around the changing table to dress it up or hide any clutter. Baskets or canvas totes are good so that the kids can't get into the supplies and have a ticker tape parade with them.

also the calendar above the changing table should be lower on not near the table... your room is like a blank slate and has so much potential.
The more you make it look like a center and less like a personal playroom the better appeal it will have to potential clients. Try some developmental toys from http://www.lakeshorelearning.com or constructive playthings
I think at the very least the most important thing to get if money is an issue is table and chairs. You can get them pretty cheap at the toy store.
Provider_Manda 01:41 PM 01-21-2012
Originally Posted by Michelle:
wow! nice cubbies!
take that cubby out of the closet and put toys in it and use the changing table for diapers/wipes etc. some people even make cute curtains to go around the changing table to dress it up or hide any clutter. Baskets or canvas totes are good so that the kids can't get into the supplies and have a ticker tape parade with them.

also the calendar above the changing table should be lower on not near the table... your room is like a blank slate and has so much potential.
The more you make it look like a center and less like a personal playroom the better appeal it will have to potential clients. Try some developmental toys from www.lakeshore.com or constructive playthings
I think at the very least the most important thing to get if money is an issue is table and chairs. You can get them pretty cheap at the toy store.
I love my cubbies !! But Im in Ohio and we have to have a seperate place for each childs belongings..I wonder if a basket under the changing table would work ? I did order some poster's today and Im looking for a table..I really appreicate everyone's advice..I just started this at the end of August so Im still really new to the whole thing..Can't wait to get it all fixed and show you guys when Im done
Sprouts 01:54 PM 01-21-2012
A cubby like this above changing table works wonders and keeps everything separate and organized, if your husband could make it then even better.

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...&Brand=&Price=

Also u could find nice cubbies I
In Ikea if u have one close to u

Like this

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50171122/

This is the furniture my husband built for my daycare, I found shelf on Clearence in homedepot to put above changing table and use plastic stacking organizers inside for wipes and creams

http://elimelechwoodworks.weebly.com/daycare.html
Provider_Manda 02:02 PM 01-21-2012
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
A cubby like this above changing table works wonders and keeps everything separate and organized, if your husband could make it then even better.

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...&Brand=&Price=

Also u could find nice cubbies I
In Ikea if u have one close to u

Like this

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50171122/

This is the furniture my husband built for my daycare, I found shelf on Clearence in homedepot to put above changing table and use plastic stacking organizers inside for wipes and creams

http://elimelechwoodworks.weebly.com/daycare.html
I really like the one from Ikea !! I don't have one close but I love online shopping
Crazy8 03:53 PM 01-21-2012
how big is your room?? Can you move some things so they are coming out from the walls? My biggest issue was always placing everything against the wall. I had to move away from that to get the space I wanted. I redid my room a few months ago and posted about it here, unfortunately I am still not happy with it, just not sure how to change things so I've left it this way. Here is a pic....

Provider_Manda 06:09 PM 01-21-2012
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
how big is your room?? Can you move some things so they are coming out from the walls? My biggest issue was always placing everything against the wall. I had to move away from that to get the space I wanted. I redid my room a few months ago and posted about it here, unfortunately I am still not happy with it, just not sure how to change things so I've left it this way. Here is a pic....

It's a very small room but not sure of the dementions...I only have one shelf my husband made and its anchored to the wall. I think you looks good ! I like your shelves, with the canvas boxes
Sprouts 09:00 PM 01-21-2012
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:

Lol I know how u feel, people in my house think I am OCD because every time I drink coffee I start to rearrange the room, after the 5th time I am finally happy with it lol
countrymom 06:14 AM 01-22-2012
if you are in ohio, how far away is canton michigan from you. I was at ikea yesterday.
Provider_Manda 07:05 AM 01-23-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
if you are in ohio, how far away is canton michigan from you. I was at ikea yesterday.
Oh a little far, little over 10 hrs. one way :\ lol...But thanks for letting me know ! Im hoping to get me a gutter this week to makes some shelving and ordered some learning posters, and a tree wall decal so that should be here in a couple of days too...Oh and found a little tykes picnic table for $10 off our local yard sale site on FaceBook..So I am getting excited. Pulled some toys that they didn't use and donated to our church.

I was unable to pull the cubbie shelf out of the closet, but the top cubbies I am using for diapers, wipes and extra clothes..and the rest I have used for trucks. Cleaned off the changing table shelves too

I will post pictures later this week when Im all done..Thanks so much everyone, I really appreicate all the helpful tips !! Love this forum, so glad I found it !!
SilverSabre25 07:27 AM 01-23-2012
Oh a little far, little over 10 hrs. one way :\ lol...But thanks for letting me know ! !
What about the ikea down in Cincy?
iheartkids 10:47 AM 01-23-2012
I would turn your kitchen set so it's not against the wall. Move it closer to a corner and and on the opposite wall turn your awesome bench sideways (with the back to the dramatic playarea). There you've defined a kitchen/dramatic play area and on the other side of the bench it can be another defined play area. You can also turn your changing table sideways with the side against the wall and there you've created another "wall" to make lil' play areas. You'll be amazed at how a little piece of furniture can be a boundry enough so the kids know that this place is for blocks, this area is for cars, this is where the dolls stay, etc. And rugs really do make a difference too! I don't chase my kids around making them keep the cars on the rug but at least it's a location they can visually see where the cars belong
Provider_Manda 11:45 AM 01-23-2012
Originally Posted by iheartkids:
I would turn your kitchen set so it's not against the wall. Move it closer to a corner and and on the opposite wall turn your awesome bench sideways (with the back to the dramatic playarea). There you've defined a kitchen/dramatic play area and on the other side of the bench it can be another defined play area. You can also turn your changing table sideways with the side against the wall and there you've created another "wall" to make lil' play areas. You'll be amazed at how a little piece of furniture can be a boundry enough so the kids know that this place is for blocks, this area is for cars, this is where the dolls stay, etc. And rugs really do make a difference too! I don't chase my kids around making them keep the cars on the rug but at least it's a location they can visually see where the cars belong
I would love to move my bench out, but it is REALLY anchored to the wall and my husband just may have a fit..lol I tried it with the changing table but I thought it looked odd..I don't know it could have been me. I did move the kitchen to a corner though
Provider_Manda 11:46 AM 01-23-2012
[quote=SilverSabre25;188575]What about the ikea down in Cincy?[/QUOTE

Im alittle over 2 hrs from Cincy...I live in the boonies lol
countrymom 11:54 AM 01-23-2012
it takes me about 45 min. to get to the one in canton (depending on the border guards and line up) its so worth it. I just bought a highchair and 2 pojang chairs (which I love and you can wash them too)
MissK 12:17 PM 01-23-2012
I absolutely love that Ikea storage!! We're about 3 1/2 hours from the nearest one - but I'll definitely have to make a stop by there the next time we head that way! Thanks for the heads up!
Provider_Manda 11:22 AM 01-30-2012
So I took everyones great advice and got some posters moved toys and took some out. We are waiting to get the gutter shelves and I am trying to get a wall mount changing station..But here is a look so far, please let me know what you think and if you think it looks better? The kids love going in there now !!
I also kept the cubbie shelf in the closet but used the empty spots for toys.
Attached: daycare 2012 028.jpg (70.5 KB) daycare 2012 029.jpg (64.2 KB) daycare 2012 031.jpg (58.6 KB) daycare 2012 032.jpg (40.8 KB) 
Sprouts 04:58 PM 02-03-2012
It looks greAt! Just one thing i still think the posters should be at eye level, if you are worried about the kids tearing it then u can laminate it at a local teachers store and just attach it to the wall with those square sticky things....just an idea
Tags:play area, remodel
Reply Up