Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kids Sent To Me With Motrin!
Jenniferdawn 10:04 PM 11-14-2011
Ugh! I had a parent send me their child today. Amazingly at 1:30 she starts feeling very ill. I call her mom to come pick her up. Come to find out she, yep, you guessed it, gave her Motrin in the morning. Turns out the whole family has been sick all weekend, sore throats, cough, throwing up, and fever. Nice, huh? I'm so mad right now. And of course it is one week before Thanksgiving. I'm sure my family will succumb to it and I'll have to close down for a while. And figures-I'm hosting this year for my husbands family.

I had literally yesterday finished my policy handbook i was going to give them that included this line: "Please do not medicate your children before they come in the morning to make it appear as though they are well." After they left, I added this on: " Fever reducing medications do not make your child healthy. They only mask the symptoms, which will reappear by the middle of the day, resulting in a call to you to come pick up your child." I'm thinking of adding that it could be grounds for termination.
Does the above sound ok?
daycare 10:10 PM 11-14-2011
Originally Posted by Jenniferdawn:
Ugh! I had a parent send me their child today. Amazingly at 1:30 she starts feeling very ill. I call her mom to come pick her up. Come to find out she, yep, you guessed it, gave her Motrin in the morning. Turns out the whole family has been sick all weekend, sore throats, cough, throwing up, and fever. Nice, huh? I'm so mad right now. And of course it is one week before Thanksgiving. I'm sure my family will succumb to it and I'll have to close down for a while. And figures-I'm hosting this year for my husbands family.

I had literally yesterday finished my policy handbook i was going to give them that included this line: "Please do not medicate your children before they come in the morning to make it appear as though they are well." After they left, I added this on: " Fever reducing medications do not make your child healthy. They only mask the symptoms, which will reappear by the middle of the day, resulting in a call to you to come pick up your child." I'm thinking of adding that it could be grounds for termination.
Does the above sound ok?
I know most of us would term for something as you stated in your post.

Mine states that it is grounds for termination..

it shows lack of respect for you, your family and every child and family enrolled into your daycare.

I would exclude that child from daycare for 48 hours and not let them return until they are 100% free of fever and symptoms.
Mandy_Jane 10:31 PM 11-14-2011
Here is what I say in my policies,

"Before returning to daycare your child must be symptom free for 24 hours without the help of Tylenol, Advil or other symptom masking medications.

Please do not ask me to care for a sick child or to reconsider these policies. If you bring a child to daycare that is ill, you are not only risking infecting the other children, you are risking infecting your provider. When your provider is sick, the daycare is closed. I’m sure you would not appreciate it if another daycare parent brought their sick child and your child became sick."

I also say in a separate section,

"I will not tolerate disrespectful parents. I expect each family to abide by ALL of the rules listed within this policies contract. Failure to abide by these rules is grounds for immediate termination of child care services."

Hope this helps!
lucky 05:01 AM 11-15-2011
Masking symptoms is grounds for termination in my policies.
Blackcat31 06:47 AM 11-15-2011
If parents give their child ANY type of meds before arrival, I require them to fill out a form, sign and date it before they leave their child.

This form says:
Of course, this doesn't mean meds to mask an illness, I mean meds for a headache, teething or any other type of non-contagious/illness related pain.

If a parent does medicate their child and drops them off WITHOUT telling me, they are automatically termed.

If they KNOWINGLY hide an illness, it is automatic terming too.

If they they do med for a suspected fever/illness and the child gets sick during the day, the parents get called to come pick the child up and automatically have to remain home for 2 days. So basically, they are better off "policing" themselves so they don't get excluded for more days then necessary.

No exceptions! I do NOT keep ANY meds on site and will not give ANY thing to anyone for ANY reason.

The only exception, I guess is prescription meds. These fall into a different category and have ther own set of rules.
mommiesherie 07:09 AM 11-15-2011
How do you all have these policies with your own children at home. What if one of your kids are sick? Just wondering because I always have kids who are dropped off when sick. I hate it but how can I say don't bring yours when mine will be here when sick?? Just wondering how you all approach this
mommiesherie 07:24 AM 11-15-2011
I had to give my dramatic child medicine yesterday. His mom sent it and said he has med in his bag if he keep coughing you may want to give him some. No fever just a bad sounding cough. Before nap I decided I should probably give him some so when he laid down he could rest without coughing so bad. Well that didn't turn out well at all. The first time I tried he spit it back on me. Now this child is soooo stubborn that once I say anything I have to follow through with him. He always wants to be in control and be the boss. Ugh if I give a single inch it makes him much worse than normal. So I was like nope its time to take it. So it turned into a really eventful task. I have never seen a child fight and scream like that. I'm sure the neighbors thought he was getting beaten or something. However that is a normal thing at my house because everything turns into a horrible screaming fit throwing task. Anyways when she brought him today I said thanks for the warning on how he reacts to medication. Lol I will never do that again. If he needs medication you can come give it to him. That was horrible. She just laughed and said yeah he don't like to take medicine. Wow that's an under statement this child turned into an out of control screaming insanely I don't even know how to describe it honestly.
Blackcat31 07:39 AM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by mommiesherie:
I had to give my dramatic child medicine yesterday. His mom sent it and said he has med in his bag if he keep coughing you may want to give him some. No fever just a bad sounding cough. Before nap I decided I should probably give him some so when he laid down he could rest without coughing so bad. Well that didn't turn out well at all. The first time I tried he spit it back on me. Now this child is soooo stubborn that once I say anything I have to follow through with him. He always wants to be in control and be the boss. Ugh if I give a single inch it makes him much worse than normal. So I was like nope its time to take it. So it turned into a really eventful task. I have never seen a child fight and scream like that. I'm sure the neighbors thought he was getting beaten or something. However that is a normal thing at my house because everything turns into a horrible screaming fit throwing task. Anyways when she brought him today I said thanks for the warning on how he reacts to medication. Lol I will never do that again. If he needs medication you can come give it to him. That was horrible. She just laughed and said yeah he don't like to take medicine. Wow that's an under statement this child turned into an out of control screaming insanely I don't even know how to describe it honestly.
How old is this child?
If he has a cough that is that dispruptive, he should be home resting. Anyone who needs meds to make it through a day shouldn't be at child care IMO.

I may be mistaken, but I don't think you can give kids under 6 cough/cold meds. I think the FDA took them all off the market and Doctor's aren't recommending them anymore.

http://articles.cnn.com/2007-10-19/h...h?_s=PM:HEALTH
nannyde 07:51 AM 11-15-2011
what medicine was it?
AnneCordelia 07:56 AM 11-15-2011
How do you all have these policies with your own children at home. What if one of your kids are sick? Just wondering because I always have kids who are dropped off when sick. I hate it but how can I say don't bring yours when mine will be here when sick?? Just wondering how you all approach this
My own children are not part of the daycare and they don't have to follow the daycare rules.

When my own children are sick they are already in their home, and more comfortable. My illness policy isn't just to keep others healthy but also to keep the sick child comfortable in their home environment.

Also, I do not administer over-the-counter medications like Tylenol, Motrin, Benadryl, ect., to daycare children. My own children would be medicated and comfortable in their own bed, but a sick daycare child would not.
nannyde 08:09 AM 11-15-2011
My son doesn't need supervision like the day care kids. He can be left alone in his room without adult supervision. He doesn't have to be with the other kids.

A daycare child has to have adult supervision at all times they are up.
CountryMommy 08:57 AM 11-15-2011
I'm kind of jealous of those of you who don't have to count your own children in with the daycare children.

I am licensed and accredited in Canada and it is required of me to include my children in everything daycare related. They have to have the same kind of supervision, cannot be in spaces in the house that aren't approved by licensing, I have to use the same methods of discipline with them as licensing requires for the daycare children...you get the point.
sahm2three 09:39 AM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by CountryMommy:
I'm kind of jealous of those of you who don't have to count your own children in with the daycare children.

I am licensed and accredited in Canada and it is required of me to include my children in everything daycare related. They have to have the same kind of supervision, cannot be in spaces in the house that aren't approved by licensing, I have to use the same methods of discipline with them as licensing requires for the daycare children...you get the point.
BS. I don't understand how they could mandate something like that. No one is going to tell me how I can and cannot discipline my own kids (besides abuse of course). No one is going to tell me where and when my kids can be in their own house. I would quit this job first! I have to count my youngest in my ratio until he turns 6, but the other stuff doesn't apply. That is ridiculous! Sorry you have to deal with that!
Country Kids 11:06 AM 11-15-2011

This is me also and I'm in the states! I have to count all my children in the ratios until they turn 13 yes you read that right 13!!!!
nannyde 11:39 AM 11-15-2011

Wow

Here we have to count them in our numbers until day one of Kindergarten. Then they don't count.

There is NOTHING in our regs about what we do with our own kids.

I don't know your regs but A LOT of providers misunderstand the regs that require you to COUNT your kid in your numbers... from regs of what your kid can do in your home.

I wouldn't even consider allowing the state to tell me what I had to do with my own when kids are in the house. If your state does that then it's up to the providers to get it changed.
CountryMommy 12:25 PM 11-15-2011
I was quite surprised when I found out. I had already been a provider with the agency for a couple of months before I found out so I just went with it. I probably would have thought twice about it if I had known from the get-go. But yes, they did tell us that all the licencing rules (where they sleep, discipline, supervision, etc etc) apply to our own children as well.
dave4him 06:09 PM 11-15-2011
Ironically enough in some other work places the boss would rather their workers come in with their sickness masked... well maybe
nannyde 07:07 PM 11-15-2011
I was quite surprised when I found out. I had already been a provider with the agency for a couple of months before I found out so I just went with it. I probably would have thought twice about it if I had known from the get-go. But yes, they did tell us that all the licencing rules (where they sleep, discipline, supervision, etc etc) apply to our own children as well.
Is it in writing or did they just say it.
Tags:dope and drop, dope; drop, medication - policy, medicine
Reply Up