Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Family & Old Family Question
momofboys 04:19 AM 04-08-2011
I have a new family starting next week. They will be coming full-time. My current family is full-time (sort of) but this past month their schedule has varied & although I normally know what days they are coming in advance sometimes the mom will ask at the last minute if I can take the kids for the day with only a day's notice. No big deal but with 2 extra kids I really need to know ahead of time--not for numbers sake but for my own sanity! How can I convey to family 1 that I HAVE to know in advance? They pay per the day so it's not like they are entitled to come every single day. Is it wrong to say in a note "I must have your schedule for the rest of April by this Sunday or I will just consider the days I have marked on my calendar as the only days you need care" OR how would YOU word it? Thank you!
wdmmom 05:06 AM 04-08-2011
I have it in my contract that any part timers that has a schedule that fluctuates must provide weekly must provide notice on Friday for the days, times they are needing care for the upcoming week.

This way you know in advance, they pay in advance, and are not allowed to change the days or times.
Blackcat31 05:34 AM 04-08-2011
Just wondering....could you adjust the rate to match the amount of notice? For example the rate would be $30 per day with a minimum of 5 days advance notice and $40 with less than 5 days advance notice? or something like that.....Seems money is always a motivator.
MarinaVanessa 07:08 AM 04-08-2011
I have a mom that's like that. She pays for full time but because she's self employed she comes at different times on different days. Her contract says 8am to 6pm but she sometimes drops off anywhere from 8am to noon and sometimes picks up anywhere from 4pm to 6pm. Drove me batty. I just told her to remember that she couldn't pick up or drop off during nap and that planning activities and meals was making it difficult for me. Now I have her tell me at least one week in advance what times she was coming (and stick to them) or she could pay an extra $20 a week and have the freedom of letting me know one day in advance. She opted to pay more. Now when she comes and goes it I just think about the extra $1000 or so a year I get extra from her and I don't get so annoyed.
momofboys 05:14 AM 04-10-2011

Thanks ladies for the advice. I like the idea of making her pay more if she does not give me more advance notice about her schedule. Here's what I did. . . I had a lot of small issues to discuss with her (new family starting which means her daughter need sto arrive in time to ride the bus-I previously drove but she knows I also have them ride the bus too sometimes-well it will now be all the time), wanted to know her days for the rest of the month & curious about what her plans are for May & what sort of hours she will need (she is graduating from school & I am clueless as to whether she has gotten a job/will still need me, etc). So I called & left a nice voicemal on Friday afternoon. I don't see mom lately b/c dad has to do the drop-off & pick-up. I asked her to call me this weekend & so far nothing. I am discouraged that so far she has not taken the time to call me. Maybe she will today but my guess is no. Ughhhhh
Tags:arrival times, late arrivals, schedule - changes, variable hours
Reply Up