Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Did We Survive?
iheartkids 05:52 AM 10-20-2011
When I was growing up my family was pretty healthy but we did not have all the fancy cleaning products that are out now. We didn't have Clorox wipes, antibacterial hand gel, germ killing kleenex. My mom didn't wipe down everything in the store/restaurants before I touched it. So why does it seem like people are so much more sick NOW then back when I was young? It seems like every kid has allergies, there are a ton more "flu strains" going around (when I was a kid there was one, IT WAS CALLED THE FLU), and so much more respiratory infections than I have ever noticed. Could our new-trendy OCDness causing our society to not be able to fight off germs? Those of you who have been doing this for 20+ years, have you noticed anything different as far as the kinds of illnesses or the amount of illnesses from when you first started daycare? I'm curious to know...
Blackcat31 05:58 AM 10-20-2011
Yes absolutley!

Anti-bacterial things are good... to a point but I strongly believe that over use of these products has ruined our body's natural ability to fight off things.

The kids have non-stop colds all year round and it seems every kid has asthma.
nannyde 06:00 AM 10-20-2011
We have a terrible diet. When I was coming up my family spent about twenty percent of our income on food. Now we spend twenty percent on health care and about eight percent on food.

Junk food was so expensive in those days that we only got them as a big treat. Every sweet we had was from scratch.

The chemicals used on the food we do have didn't exist when I was growing up. Our bodies are undernourished and overfed. Our chemical exposure is very high.

We have a huge amount of corn in our diet. Nearly everything has corn in it or it is corn fed. The animals we eat aren't supposed to eat corn. They are supposed to eat grass. When you eat animals that have been confined and improperly fed you will be eating sick animals and introducing their sickness into us.

Our kids get a fraction of the exercise we did as kids. We had to go outside and play unless it was dangerously cold. Now we have a nation eating crappy food in front of a screen from the time they can walk till the grave.

It's a viscious cycle. Terrible food and little exercise. It's making us weak.
dEHmom 06:01 AM 10-20-2011
I have not been doing this for 20+ years, but I was having this conversation last week.

IMO, delaying foods from infants, even pablum, protecting them from every single little speck of dust, dirt, dander, and sheltering them from the cold, is making the problem worse.

Do you know, that not only is my children's school (and all schools in town here), peanut free, many classrooms or the whole school is also, fish free, egg free, and onion free???? I really do struggle some days trying to send something safe. When I went to school, if you had an allergy, you either went home for lunch because your parents wanted you to, OR, you sat at a different table (i don't mean alone, I mean away from the problem food) and just made sure you didn't eat or touch it. NOW let me clarify, I am lucky that my kids dont' have any allergies (yet?) and I understand keeping these kids that do safe at school. But the amount of allergies in kids is growing. And I think it comes down to when they were babies and they didn't get to try all those foods. I still agree to holding off on peanut butter and fish for the really young ones. maybe eggs too to a degree. But I have noticed that since they started pushing back the age for peanut butter from 1 to 3 years, there is more and more allergies to peanuts that I am becoming aware of.

I think kids need to build up immunity to things, and without being given the opportunity, their body will late reject them.
Cat Herder 06:01 AM 10-20-2011
International travel and trade has increased. Newer strains of disease, insect, animal, reptile and invasive plant species are being transported in and out daily without our knowledge.

I am sure some of that has to do with it, but the rest is just education from statistics and research.

I know our graveyards are full of young children and adults that died young of preventable illness just a couple generations ago. My own Grandmother had polio.

Maybe it is just not accepted as "normal" anymore.
Blackcat31 06:02 AM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
We have a terrible diet. When I was coming up my family spent about twenty percent of our income on food. Now we spend twenty percent on health care and about eight percent on food.

Junk food was so expensive in those days that we only got them as a big treat. Every sweet we had was from scratch.

The chemicals used on the food we do have didn't exist when I was growing up. Our bodies are undernourished and overfed. Our chemical exposure is very high.

We have a huge amount of corn in our diet. Nearly everything has corn in it or it is corn fed. The animals we eat aren't supposed to eat corn. They are supposed to eat grass. When you eat animals that have been confined and improperly fed you will be eating sick animals and introducing their sickness into us.

Our kids get a fraction of the exercise we did as kids. We had to go outside and play unless it was dangerously cold. Now we have a nation eating crappy food in front of a screen from the time they can walk till the grave.

AMEN NAN!!

Pretty soon we will all be living like the people in the Wall-E movie.... Sad, just sad.
Cat Herder 06:06 AM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
AMEN NAN!!

Pretty soon we will all be living like the people in the Wall-E movie.... Sad, just sad.
Hmm... I thought we'd be more like the movie "Idiocracy".
Blackcat31 06:11 AM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Ok, I stand corrected.

I had never heard of that movie so I googled it..... (I am laughing out loud just reading the synopsis!)
Country Kids 06:32 AM 10-20-2011
I also think we over wash our hands wayyyyyyy to much. I just look at the regs and shake my head when I read how much we are to wash our hands. One, its not good for our hands to be washed that much and we wash everything away so our body will never get use to bad germs. Just like you don't need a shower every day or wash your hair everyday. Unless you do a dirty job you could probably go every other day showering.
dEHmom 06:46 AM 10-20-2011
speaking of showering, I saw something one day on tv, that says 10 minutes in the shower, and you absorb ***XX amount of chemicals into your body. Worse then drinking a bottle of lysol or something like that. It was years ago so I don't remember exactly what it was. I know that was off topic, but you said shower, and I thought of that.

Everyday we are absorbing, eating, drinking pollutants. EVERY second we are doing this.
cheerfuldom 06:57 AM 10-20-2011
I agree with nan. Its shocking the amount of preschoolers that never eat meat or vegetables. that do not know where food comes from and are confused with anything that is not individually packaged. my kids eat everything.....we had roast and butternut squash the other night and they loved it! I am so glad I am learning more about nutrition and am able to provide much better than what I received as a child. I didn't know that mashed potatoes did not come from a box when I was a teenager! It never occurred to me that you can make everything from scratch. sad huh?
mismatchedsocks 07:00 AM 10-20-2011
You know, I may wash my hands or sanitize more often then I did growing up, BUT i feel my faimly and I are much more healthy! My own kids have missed 2 days in all the years they have gone to school for being sick and once was food poisioning from restaurant. I remember missing school ALL the time growing up, and my mom didnt even do daycare!
I can only imagine how much sickness would go around if I didnt clean and sanitize.

Knock on wood, we get a bout of sniffles here a few times a year, but my children and myself must be more immune to it. Even the daycare kids who have been here since birth are more immune to it, as they get older.
spud912 07:04 AM 10-20-2011
There have been a lot of studies that show we do wash our hands/sanitize surfaces too much in today's society. People need to be exposed to germs to build immunity and since we don't have the exposure we used to, we are more prone to getting sick when presented with it. Why do you think when we travel to another country and eat the same food as everyone else, we get foodborne illnesses and the locals don't have any reaction?
2ndFamilyDC 07:05 AM 10-20-2011
I have been daycare of 22 years. I have noticed in the last 10 years or so that kids are

getting sick much more often. Constant colds and different virus going around and around.
Moms and dads are getting them too from their kids (luckily I don't get them).

Also I have noticed that kids get constant ear infections and end up needing tubes. Wasn't like that when I had my own kids who are now 23 & 24.
Country Kids 07:17 AM 10-20-2011
My kids actually bring home so much illness from school! One time they became sick because of norwalk virus that was going around from a sewer pipe that had broke. You know who came down with it first-my poor child that wasn't even in school yet then it went like wild fire!!!!!
Ariana 07:19 AM 10-20-2011
It is interesting! I think it's a combination of things. Our lives are soooo much more stessful than they used to be and there is a saying that "99% of all illness is caused by stress". Plus the population growth, overuse of soaps and cleaners, compounded toxicity through the generation creating more allergy prone kids.

My dad told me an interesting story about my aunt and how when she was a kid she was always really skinny and complaining about stomach issues, but everyone just brushed it aside and she was labeled "sickly"....whatever that means!! She was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease so it could be that we know more today and take things more seriously?
littlemommy 07:23 AM 10-20-2011
My daycare kids are constantly coming in with colds. Yesterday one went home with severe diarrhea. Only one DCK has an older sibling that is in school.

My son and I never seem to catch anything. He had a couple ear infections when he was under a year old, but the chiropractor fixed that. He doesn't drink much cow's milk, which can keep the ears from draining like they should. We eat super healthy for every meal, and don't eat a lot of sugar or processed foods.

DS is 21 months and still BF'ing. All of the daycare kids were formula fed. Not sure if that is a factor or not.
littlemommy 07:26 AM 10-20-2011
I'm going out tonight to get some Tea Tree Oil soap to replace the antibacterial soap that has triclosin. Better for the body and environment, and works just as well as other soaps.
cheerfuldom 07:28 AM 10-20-2011
some of it might be overdiagnosing too. seems like every parent wants medicine every time they go to the ped. some are happy to blame a variety of physical and behavioral issues on catch-all illnesses like asthma.

I am not saying that asthma is not real! I know it is. But I know two families that have kids with supposed asthma that NEVER use their inhaler or have any significant symptoms (one was a daycare family I worked with for almost 2 years) but then anytime any issue comes up, the asthma is blamed. Similar to "oh she's teething" excuse.
littlemommy 07:46 AM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
some of it might be overdiagnosing too. seems like every parent wants medicine every time they go to the ped. some are happy to blame a variety of physical and behavioral issues on catch-all illnesses like asthma.

I am not saying that asthma is not real! I know it is. But I know two families that have kids with supposed asthma that NEVER use their inhaler or have any significant symptoms (one was a daycare family I worked with for almost 2 years) but then anytime any issue comes up, the asthma is blamed. Similar to "oh she's teething" excuse.
I agree. It seems like even the really good doctors are handing out way more prescriptions than they should because parent's expect it and know what to ask for. I'm proud to say that I haven't used an antibiotic (or any prescription) for years! I use holistic remedies that are just as effective and MUCH cheaper!
familyschoolcare 07:53 AM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Maybe more like serogotes
familyschoolcare 07:56 AM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

Yes, exactly.

When I was getting my bible theology degeree the Old Testement Teacher was asked if she believed that people realy lived hundrends of years like ti says noah did. She explained thatback them "we" (humankind) did not have cancer, chemicials and germs did not usualy kill people at the age or 60 becaue if they where going to kill a person back then they did so as an infant. Which lead to stronger humanbeings.
youretooloud 08:07 AM 10-20-2011
I've noticed a HUGE increase in illnesses just in the last nine or ten years.

When I started in the 80s, I had one kid with chronic asthma, the kids got occasional colds, but nothing worth freaking out.

I've also seen a huge increase in food allergies.
Hunni Bee 06:18 PM 10-20-2011
Yes...and we are waayyy overmedicated. I pulled a muscle last month, I was given Vic***n AND Valium, told to take both every three hours AND go back to work!! Needless to say, I took neither...

I had a 3-year-old today who had a slight fever (99) and what looked like a fine rash...called her mom to let her know what was up and if her fever rose or she started feeling badly, she would need to be picked up. Mom said that she would be taking her to the ER this evening and get her an antibiotic!

If we get a tiny wisp of something, we are stuffing ourselves with OTC drugs and antibiotics!
iheartkids 06:36 AM 10-21-2011
I know! I don't recall going to the doctor when I was little as much as these kids do. BUT my mom was a SAHM and took on the illness with "home remedies". But nowadays if you take time off of work to take care of your sick child or yourself you need a dr's excuse/report to prove you were really sick and by golly you BETTER have been prescribed something or you weren't REALLY sick! My director once drilled me about whether I took my sick dd to the doctor once when I called in sick and I said no, it's just a common virus BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN SHE DOESN'T DESERVE TO STAY HOME AND REST! And schools/preschools/centers all require doctor excuses all the time if a child was sent home sick. So to me it kind of forces you to go to the doctor even if it can be treated at home. And because work places don't always seem understanding about it then parents are quick to pump them full of meds just to get them back in school. It's just a viscious cycle!
Tags:cleaning, sanitize
Reply Up