Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wording Of Email... Help!
daycarediva 04:08 AM 09-19-2012
I interviewed with a Mom that I liked, then she brought her dh for a second interview (I meet both parents if they are around before signing), she said she was interested and we were talking start dates (Monday of next week or the following Monday), did a trial with her son (I do a 4 hour trial with just the kiddo before I sign), which went fantastic. Awesome kid, all my bunch adored him. It was for FT care. That was last Thursday. No call, nothing.

Got another interview with Mom #2 and her DD, seems like it would be a good fit, liked Mom and kid. Second interview to meet both parents and set up a trial is this evening. This kid is PT/3 days a week.

I would like to send Mom #1 an email, and I pretty much have to say I have two families interested in the one spot. I will have another space opening up in October when dcg moves though. How would you word an email without being pushy? Everytime I write something out it sounds bad. HELP!
Meeko 05:43 AM 09-19-2012
Did Mom #1 say she WANTED the spot, or was it just a good interview?

If she didn't tell you she actually wanted the spot, take her silence as not interested. I would not contact her. Give the spot to Mom #2.

As a consumer, nothing irritates me more than the "follow up" calls I get from sales people when I don't buy their product. I bought a new car about 6 months ago. We shopped around as I wasn't sure what I wanted. I got several calls from salesmen after we test drove a few different models. I hate being chased or put on the spot. When I make a decision, I'll let the sales person know. If I'm too late and the "item" is gone...then my bad.

Same with the mom #1.

Now if she told you at your interview that she absolutely wanted the spot, I would contact her.

"Hi ****. You mentioned at our meeting that you would like to take the spot in my daycare. I'm just following up as another family is interested in the place too. I think you would both be a great addition to my daycare, but I can only take one!"

If she's still interested, she'll jump and tell you so and you can let her know you need her to sign the contract and pay you ASAP. Or...she'll tell you she has made other plans.

But I would only contact someone who has actually told me they WANT the place. A lot of people are just shopping around. I don't contact them.

Good luck with whoever you take
lovemykidstoo 05:49 AM 09-19-2012
I agree. I would not contact mom #1 either. Go forward with the one that said she's interested for sure and if #1 comes around tell her that you didn't hear from her, so you filled the spot. You can keep her name for the next opening.
daycarediva 05:51 AM 09-19-2012
Yes, she said wanted. I gave her all paperwork, we discussed start dates to ease dcb in/away from current sitter who is only available 2 days a week, etc. I even took my ad down (I know, I know...) So I'm
lovemykidstoo 05:54 AM 09-19-2012
So both of them said that they wanted your services? If #1 did say that too then I would just send her a quick email and simply say something like: I really enjoyed our visit and I enjoyed your child as well. I know that you said you were interested, however I also have another family that is interested. Since I spoke with you first, I would like to give you the first opportunity. Please let me know by (enter time frame) if you want to have this position. If I don't hear from you by that time, then I will gladly put you on the waiting list for the next available position.
countrymom 06:04 AM 09-19-2012
I would do the first come first serve. Just because they said they would come doesnt' mean nothing, I've been there and done that, even held the spot for 6 months. Lesson learned.
lovemykidstoo 06:07 AM 09-19-2012
Add on to my other post about sending the email, I would include that you need a deposit to hold the spot and it can be taken off the first weeks pay or something. That way you know if she's serious or not.
daycarediva 07:01 AM 09-19-2012
I really enjoyed our visit with **** and think he would be a great addition to our little group. However, I have another family that is interested as well. Since I interviewed with you first, I would like to give you the first opportunity. Please let me know by Monday September 24th if you want **** to have the spot. To retain his place, I will need all of the paperwork that I gave you completed, as well as a one week's deposit and definite starting date. If you don't need child care at this time, I can place you on my waiting list for a spot opening up in October when a family is moving and notify you when it becomes available.

Thanks,
Me

sound good? I don't want to sign with another family and then have her contact me and not have an opening. I never send follow up emails so this feels a little lame to me but I really liked the family and just clicked with the kiddo.
lovemykidstoo 07:13 AM 09-19-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I really enjoyed our visit with **** and think he would be a great addition to our little group. However, I have another family that is interested as well. Since I interviewed with you first, I would like to give you the first opportunity. Please let me know by Monday September 24th if you want **** to have the spot. To retain his place, I will need all of the paperwork that I gave you completed, as well as a one week's deposit and definite starting date. If you don't need child care at this time, I can place you on my waiting list for a spot opening up in October when a family is moving and notify you when it becomes available.

Thanks,
Me

sound good? I don't want to sign with another family and then have her contact me and not have an opening. I never send follow up emails so this feels a little lame to me but I really liked the family and just clicked with the kiddo.
I think it sounds great!!! Just not sure I'd give her that much time. If she doesn't want the spot, you want to jump on that other family.
DaisyMamma 08:16 AM 09-19-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I agree. I would not contact mom #1 either. Go forward with the one that said she's interested for sure and if #1 comes around tell her that you didn't hear from her, so you filled the spot. You can keep her name for the next opening.
Makes sense to me. That's what I would do.
MarinaVanessa 08:44 AM 09-19-2012
I would contact her. But that's just me . Lots of parents don't understand that we as child care providers also interview them in return and only think about things on their end. I let any interviews know that I don't reserve space unless the contracts is signed and of the deposit and 1st week are paid in advance, otherwise it's first pay first serve.

If at the end of the interview they say they want it and want to start on {date} I remind them again that the fees and contract have to be returned ASAP because I will continue to hold interviews until I get the position filled.

If I like a person (a in REALLY like them) and I havn't gotten the paperwork back then another family comes along that I really like I ALWAYS call the first family to give them the heads up. It's possible that the family for one reason or another is just procrastinating and this call (or email) might just get the fire going under them. I don't think that many parents think that there could possibly be competition for the same spot.

Obviously you like both families and the FT family will be better financially so if I were in your shoes I would contact them.

"Hey Sally,
Thanks again for considering my daycare for your family. I had a wonderful time getting to know you and your family. Little Timmy will be a great fit for our group and I am excited to have you start. During our last meeting you mentioned that you were deffinetely interested in my opening so I wanted to let you know that there is another family interested in the spot as well. My goal is to fill my spots as quickly as possible so please let me know if you are still interested. If you are I'll need your paperwork. Only a signed contract and [payment of fess] are a guarantee to have a spot held.

Thanks again for the great interviews! I look forward to having Little Timmy join us!!
daycare 08:50 AM 09-19-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I would contact her. But that's just me . Lots of parents don't understand that we as child care providers also interview them in return and only think about things on their end. I let any interviews know that I don't reserve space unless the contracts is signed and of the deposit and 1st week are paid in advance, otherwise it's first pay first serve.

If at the end of the interview they say they want it and want to start on {date} I remind them again that the fees and contract have to be returned ASAP because I will continue to hold interviews until I get the position filled.

If I like a person (a in REALLY like them) and I havn't gotten the paperwork back then another family comes along that I really like I ALWAYS call the first family to give them the heads up. It's possible that the family for one reason or another is just procrastinating and this call (or email) might just get the fire going under them. I don't think that many parents think that there could possibly be competition for the same spot.

Obviously you like both families and the FT family will be better financially so if I were in your shoes I would contact them.

"Hey Sally,
Thanks again for considering my daycare for your family. I had a wonderful time getting to know you and your family. Little Timmy will be a great fit for our group and I am excited to have you start. During our last meeting you mentioned that you were deffinetely interested in my opening so I wanted to let you know that there is another family interested in the spot as well. My goal is to fill my spots as quickly as possible so please let me know if you are still interested. If you are I'll need your paperwork. Only a signed contract and [payment of fess] are a guarantee to have a spot held.

Thanks again for the great interviews! I look forward to having Little Timmy join us!!
I agree with MV, I would call.

I also would also use the wording that YOU are interested in another family that you would like to bring on board, but that you really felt that their family was a better fit of the two.

This way they know that YOU are also choosing them, not just whoever is choosing you that you will take anyone.
MarinaVanessa 09:10 AM 09-19-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I agree with MV, I would call.

I also would also use the wording that YOU are interested in another family that you would like to bring on board, but that you really felt that their family was a better fit of the two.

This way they know that YOU are also choosing them, not just whoever is choosing you that you will take anyone.
That's a good point. It's a great stroke of the ego too, they'll feel special
Tags:interview - follow up
Reply Up