Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Charging to Hold a Teachers Spot Thru the Summer
mac60 05:05 AM 05-04-2010
Just wondering what others do to hold a teachers spot thru the summers when they are off. I am thinking 1/2 rate per week, then they can bring the child 2 days per week for that rate if they choose. What do some of you do in these situations.
momofboys 05:09 AM 05-04-2010
I care for a teacher's family but have not implemented a summer holding fee. I do plan to have her sign paperwork before the end of the school year. She has already told me she plans to use me this fall but things do happen & I want some insurance that they are coming back. I'd say your idea is a good one though, especailly if she can bring them to care a few days each week. I'm fairly certain it would not fly with this family though. Dad is very adamant about not paying for days they don't use. But I totally think it is appropriate. I'm just happy about getting a summer break, in fact I am counting the days!
momma2girls 05:26 AM 05-04-2010
I actually do a 2 week deposit to hold it. THis only goes to hold their spot.
AfterSchoolMom 05:31 AM 05-04-2010
I'd do a deposit along with the signed paperwork, make it nonrefundable, and make it large enough that they'll think twice before making other arrangements at the last minute.
DBug 05:36 AM 05-04-2010
I do half-rate, with a $100 cancellation fee. I'd do the same for a teacher's family.
melskids 06:03 AM 05-04-2010
i dont charge the teachers to hold their spot for the summer, (which is a HUGE bonus to them) only because i fill the spot with school agers during that time. it gives the teachers a break , and i make the same $ either way. this , of course , is just what works for me.
Golden Rule 10:36 AM 05-04-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:
i dont charge the teachers to hold their spot for the summer, (which is a HUGE bonus to them) .
I never have charged a "vacation" fee as long as they complied with 30 my days notice (goes both ways...).

It has been my experience that after the first couple weeks they all tend to return full time, anyway. I have only had one exception to this.

If it changes I will have to reconsider, though. Good discussion, looking forward to reading other responses.
momma2girls 10:54 AM 05-04-2010
I had never had a deposit as well when I first started daycare, til I was holding a spot for a 7 month old all summer long. Then 2 weeks before Fall started a teacher got a hold of me, and told me they actually found someone who was $10.00/week cheaper than I was. I had so many calls in the meantime that I could have taken. That sucked, from then on out, I use a 2 week deposit (nonrefundable)to ensure they are serious and are coming back in the Fall!!!
Unregistered 09:58 AM 05-07-2010
I allow a 2 week vacation per year unpaid for each family.
Other then that to hold a spot its $100 per week. Some choose not to hold the spot and they usually lose it an regret it later. Good luck!
Lucy 06:26 PM 05-07-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I allow a 2 week vacation per year unpaid for each family.
Other then that to hold a spot its $100 per week. Some choose not to hold the spot and they usually lose it an regret it later. Good luck!
That's $1,000 for care you are not providing. Lucky you!
QualiTcare 08:31 PM 05-07-2010
i could understand requiring a deposit, and i'd have no problem paying one -but there's no way i'd pay full or half price for the whole summer.

if half price was required, i like the idea of being able to bring the child part time - that's fair.

when i was in school getting my teaching degree everyone was always asking why i didn't go for something that paid more. first, i said cus this is what i want to do. then, i reminded them that teachers make less, but they save a lot in childcare costs. if i got a job starting out making 60,000 - by the time i paid for childcare, i'd have 40,000 left over. so, if i'm teaching and not paying for childcare (or in my case NOW - after school care for 2 kids) it's basically the same. teaching is a mother friendly job for the most part. you work when your kids are in school and you're off when they're out of school. it's one of the main benefits.

so, yeah, there's no way i'd pay full price or half price with NO care. that's just MY opinion. i'm not suggesting anyone change their policy or that it's wrong. just answering the OP's question.
momofboys 09:02 AM 05-08-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
i could understand requiring a deposit, and i'd have no problem paying one -but there's no way i'd pay full or half price for the whole summer.

if half price was required, i like the idea of being able to bring the child part time - that's fair.

when i was in school getting my teaching degree everyone was always asking why i didn't go for something that paid more. first, i said cus this is what i want to do. then, i reminded them that teachers make less, but they save a lot in childcare costs. if i got a job starting out making 60,000 - by the time i paid for childcare, i'd have 40,000 left over. so, if i'm teaching and not paying for childcare (or in my case NOW - after school care for 2 kids) it's basically the same. teaching is a mother friendly job for the most part. you work when your kids are in school and you're off when they're out of school. it's one of the main benefits.

so, yeah, there's no way i'd pay full price or half price with NO care. that's just MY opinion. i'm not suggesting anyone change their policy or that it's wrong. just answering the OP's question.
I know childcare is pricey, but who pays 20K a year (or in 9 months) for childcare?
QualiTcare 10:31 AM 05-08-2010
if you spend 1,000 bucks a month on one kid....

and you multiply that if you have two kids....

which i do.

basic math.
Lucy 09:46 PM 05-08-2010
if you spend 1,000 bucks a month on one kid....

and you multiply that if you have two kids....

which i do.

basic math.
Please tell me this is not a home daycare for $1000 per mo/per child! Either way, I hope they're feeding them caviar and lobster tails for that price!! Wow.
QualiTcare 10:01 PM 05-08-2010
joyce, i was estimating when i said 20k per year for 2 kids...not realizing it would be picked apart.

1,000 is a bit steep...although there are some people who DO get that, but i won't go there today. actually, 1,000 a month for 2 kids for a year would be 24,000....like i said, i was just estimating when making a point.

but since we need to break it down....

800 bucks a month (or 200 a week) for a daycare like Kindercare to be exact is pretty typical.

800 a month X 12 months = 9,600 dollars for ONE kid.

two kids - double that. yup. basically 20K.
Unregistered 09:55 AM 05-10-2010
I said I charge $100 a week to hold there spot if they have already used their vacation time. That only comes out to $400 a mo? Not sure where ya got 1000 a month
When they are here its $150 a week, thats only $600 per month...And yes licensed daycare and Im not sure why I keep showing up as unregistered? I paid for a membership here... What do I do to change that?
Lucy 11:21 PM 05-11-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I said I charge $100 a week to hold there spot if they have already used their vacation time. That only comes out to $400 a mo? Not sure where ya got 1000 a month
When they are here its $150 a week, thats only $600 per month...And yes licensed daycare and Im not sure why I keep showing up as unregistered? I paid for a membership here... What do I do to change that?

Paid for a membership???????

Regarding the $1000.... I never said it was PER MONTH. You said you charge $100 per week to hold a spot, right? You said they get 2 weeks vacation time where they don't have to pay, right? Ok, summer is 12 weeks. Take out the 2 weeks they don't have to pay for, and you're left with 10 weeks. $100 X 10 weeks = $1000. So you are receiving $1000 for care you never provided.
Unregistered 06:40 PM 08-21-2011
Do you know how much money a childcare LOSES over a summer for holding a spot? I hold a spot all summer for parents and I charge only one weeks tuition for it. I try to find people who need only summer care but sometimes I don't. In the meantime, I turn away 7 or 8 who call and want to start and continue full time. I charge approx $700/mo per child. If I charge no deposit at all, and I have 5 children who are out all summer and I can't fill their spots, I have lost $10,500 in tuition that I would have gained over the summer. If I charge a measly one week's tuition to hold their spot, I still risk losing over $9,000. It's TOTALLY reasonable to charge a deposit, or a reduced tuition fee, if you ask me!
mismatchedsocks 09:32 AM 08-22-2011
I have one family that is a teacher family. If they want me to "hold" the spot for them for the fall, that can only be done IF i have a school ager to fill the spot. They still need to contact me in August to see if I have room for them in Sept when school starts. Lots can happen in childcare over the summer, and unless the parents are willing to pay full price for all weeks, and bring their child when they want, there is no "holding".

I have been lucky, in all 11 years I have done daycare I have filled the spot with a schoolager, usually sibling of a current daycare child. AND...the teachers child will not come in summer, but they wont have to pay a fee.
sharlan 09:57 AM 08-22-2011
I never charged my teachers during the summer. I liked having the break to spend more time with my kids.

My last teacher family came 2 - 3 days a week during the summer. They paid daily rates during that time. If they took off a week or two, I didn't charge. I also didn't charge during Easter or Christmas break. This family was so perfect, I would have done anything to keep them.
Unregistered 08:55 PM 01-11-2014
I have a home daycare and I work for mostly teachers. I am not licensed b/c my State does not require me to be with the number of children I care for. 5 not including my own.

I get paid whether the children are in my care or not. The only time I do not get paid is if I take a vacation day or sick day. I get paid holidays, I get paid during all school breaks, and school holidays or snow days. I also charge half the full time rate during the summer months and every teacher I have ever worked for has paid me. They know that a corporate daycare is going to charge full price and paying half, is so much better for them.

I also charge a holding fee of two weeks at full price for a first time family. If they show up I work the first week for free for them. So they really only paid me one week's holding fee. However, if they do not return, that money is non-refundable and I will not consider taking on their child in the future if the care they decided to go with falls through. This has never happened and all of my families have fortunately returned year after year. But, I always go into the agreement with strong, clear boundaries. And when parents come back later, and they sometimes do around Christmas when they are broke or in the summer near vacation time and they want to ask if I could waive a week's fee here or there. It is difficult but important to ask how they would respond if their principal asked for them to give back some money that they had already agreed upon Everyone has a job and everyone needs a paycheck. Not everyone is doing home daycare for extra money. Some people, this is their only source of income and they have a specific budget that requires them to get paid and to know how much. It is definitely a balance between being friends with your parents but also being a business. Parents will in the end respect the clear expectations you have for your daycare. Don't be wishy washy or allow them to see that you are unsure of what to do. When you explain your policy do so with confidence and matter of factness. That this is the decision you have made, other families comply, and this new one will too

I get between 175 and 200 for newborns and infants and then I drop it down to 175 or 150 when they are toddlers. Where I live that is really reasonable. Is there cheaper care? Of course, but when you consider just how much in taxes a home daycare provider has to set aside, the teachers are fortunate to be paying what they are. Good luck!!
Leaka79 09:30 PM 01-11-2014

I'm a provider and what parents sometimes forget is you expect me to hold a space for and extended amount of time without any form of payment. That's like telling your mortgage company "Hey I'm gonna be on vacation for a couple months so Im not going to pay you" well good luck with that cause you may not have a home to come back to. Same thing applies to childcare. I give my teacher parents two options… 1- They continue on as normally pay the regular rate and can bring the child when they wold like. 2- They terminate their contract and do a drop in basis which they call ahead of time and if space is available they can come and only pay for the days they attend. When fall rolls around if they spot they had is still available they re-sign a new contract and back to normal. However they take the chance of not having it available.
Maria2013 05:42 AM 01-12-2014
I charge a minimum of 3 days whether the child attends or not....they usually attend at least the 3 days
KSDC 07:24 AM 01-12-2014
I charge my teacher parents a holding fee. ($20 a week, normal fee is $90-$115 a week)
There are no drop-ins for that fee. Just a guarantee that the spot will still be there for them when school starts.
lovemykidstoo 07:34 AM 01-12-2014
2 out of my 5 families are teachers. The one dcb normally comes 4 days a week and in the summer he comes 2 days, plus his older brother comes too so I get the same dollar amount per week for that family since I watch 1 child 4 days a week during school year, but summer 2 kids 2 days a week. Fortunate there. The other family has twins and I normally have them 2 days a week during school year, but only 1 day in the summer. I require that they come at least 1/2 of their schedule. Not only keeps them here so I don't have to worry about them coming back in the fall, but keeps the kids in somewhat of a routine. Now during the school year they pay whether they come or not. Only time they don't is if I take a day off for vacation or sick.
sahm1225 10:33 AM 01-12-2014
I have 3 families that are teachers.
One family switches to drop in care (this is my nephew, so I know they will come back!)
One family goes from 5 days to 2 days, pays a slightly higher tuition for those two days and pays regardless of attendance.
The last family goes from 4 days to 2 days.

They all provide the schedule way in advance so I advertise to fill their spots during the summer. So far, it has worked for me. I have families that have left and only come back for the summer so usually we tend to be busier in the summer anyway.

and for the record - 24k for two kids tuition is about average over here. You have to keep in mind that cost of living and incomes are higher too, so no they are not getting caviar and lobster!
daycare 10:40 AM 01-12-2014
I dont have any teachers now, but this is what I offer.

extended leave-

FT- families can pay 1/2 normal weekly rate and attend up to 2 set days per week

We do not offer this to PT families and will not hold a spot for them.

We allow this for up to 8-weeks.

it can be used for:
maternity leave, summer, vacations or illness. It must be approved in advance with the provider.
daycare 10:42 AM 01-12-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I dont have any teachers now, but this is what I offer.

extended leave-

FT- families can pay 1/2 normal weekly rate and attend up to 2 set days per week

We do not offer this to PT families and will not hold a spot for them.

We allow this for up to 8-weeks.

it can be used for:
maternity leave, summer, vacations or illness. It must be approved in advance with the provider.
I called all of the local preschools and B/A school centers, their prices are based off the of the school year only, summer program is not included. I almost passed out when they said that the summer program is a pay as you go,only pay for the weeks you attend, but it is $300 a week.
Annalee 12:40 PM 01-12-2014
Originally Posted by Leaka79:
I'm a provider and what parents sometimes forget is you expect me to hold a space for and extended amount of time without any form of payment. That's like telling your mortgage company "Hey I'm gonna be on vacation for a couple months so Im not going to pay you" well good luck with that cause you may not have a home to come back to. Same thing applies to childcare. I give my teacher parents two options… 1- They continue on as normally pay the regular rate and can bring the child when they wold like. 2- They terminate their contract and do a drop in basis which they call ahead of time and if space is available they can come and only pay for the days they attend. When fall rolls around if they spot they had is still available they re-sign a new contract and back to normal. However they take the chance of not having it available.
I have one client with the school system at this time and she pays all summer, mails me the check each week. I have kept all four of her children and have two right now. I explained that if they took the children out, then the spot may or may not be there in August, but she has never took that chance.
Blackcat31 01:51 PM 01-12-2014
Relevant info but OLD thread....

......just an FYI, in case anyone is answering the original poster.
Kimskiddos 05:14 PM 01-12-2014
I've always had at least one teacher family enrolled in my program. When my kids were young it was nice to have a lighter load in the summer. They pay 1/2 tuition and may come 2 days a week (set days - but I can be flexible) during the summer. Full price for any other teacher breaks.
TaylorTots 06:00 PM 01-12-2014
I have 2 teacher dcks. I do not charge to hold their spots in the summer. My contract states that I hold teachers' spots without fees but if they choose to end their care or not return in the fall they are still responsible for the 2 weeks fees with regular termination. If they terminate care at the end of the school year I cannot guarantee their spots for the fall. I do offer them drop in care throughout the summer at an hourly rate if I have room the day they need it. I usually fill one spot over the summer with a school ager - so I usually have room if they need a few hours of drop in care.
cheerfuldom 08:18 PM 01-12-2014
joyce, i was estimating when i said 20k per year for 2 kids...not realizing it would be picked apart.

1,000 is a bit steep...although there are some people who DO get that, but i won't go there today. actually, 1,000 a month for 2 kids for a year would be 24,000....like i said, i was just estimating when making a point.

but since we need to break it down....

800 bucks a month (or 200 a week) for a daycare like Kindercare to be exact is pretty typical.

800 a month X 12 months = 9,600 dollars for ONE kid.

two kids - double that. yup. basically 20K.
agree! My charge would be over $1,100 a month for two kids in care for my daycare parents. If I went back to work right now, I would have two kids in full time, one part timer, one after schooler so yeah, not worth it for me to go back to work! my childcare provider would be taking almost all of my income.
cheerfuldom 08:20 PM 01-12-2014
I dont charge either of my teachers kids for the summer. I have two school agers of my own who are here all day every day in the summer (plus my younger two) so it works out perfectly for less daycare kids while my own kids are home. plus teachers pick up early during the year, keep their kids home on snow days and IMO are great people to work for. My husband works extra hours during the summer to make up the income but I am available for my kids more so for us, it all works.
Unregistered 09:11 PM 01-12-2014
This was one of my concerns when an expecting teacher called about an infant spot from Mar to June. Would they want my services again in August? Would I have a place holding fee? Would it be enough to risk an infant spot all summer? Would they commit to 2 days a week? Glad that they didn't choose me. I was stressing out on it!
JenNJ 05:43 AM 01-13-2014
I do not charge a holding fee. The kids come when mom has appointments or meetings and I charge her my daily rate (higher amount per day than what her weekly amount works out to be). I like having a smaller summer group and actually hope to move to all teachers at some point so I do it to encourage more teachers to enroll.
ginaglo 02:35 PM 02-09-2014
Originally Posted by Leaka79:
Hi, could you please copy and paste the exact Contract wording that you use, that states your expectations above? Thanks!!
Memc2001 06:39 PM 02-09-2014
I also do not charge teachers during the summer months. I fill in their spots with school age kids to make up most of the loss.. I know other providers here that charge 50% during summer months to hold the spot. It would be a bit of a challenge if I depended on infant rates though.
I like summers, much more laid-back with the older kids.
Jack Sprat 11:19 AM 02-10-2014
I have one teacher dck. I will hold her spot for half her weekly rate and she can bring dcb for two days a week at that rate. Similar to what OP stated. If she chooses not to hold the spot then she takes the risk of the spot being filled. That is the norm for our area.
Stepping 01:26 PM 02-10-2014
I have one teacher family and charge full rate over the summer.

I don't see it as charging for care that I am not providing. They are choosing not to use care that they have paid for.

They are more than welcome to drop off their child during the summer months as they have paid for the spot.
Annalee 01:48 PM 02-10-2014
Originally Posted by Stepping:
I have one teacher family and charge full rate over the summer.

I don't see it as charging for care that I am not providing. They are choosing not to use care that they have paid for.

They are more than welcome to drop off their child during the summer months as they have paid for the spot.

This is how I charge as well.
MarinaVanessa 02:09 PM 02-10-2014
I know the original thread is old but I wanted to add my two cents in here.

For me, holding a spot for someone that wouldn't attend, anyone, without payment wouldn't work for me (I prefer not to do school age so filling a spot with a school ager temporarily over a summer or break wouldn't make sense for me). I also wouldn't want to lower someone's hours temporarily and guarantee them full time when school started again. Financially it doesn't make business sense to me.

That being said here are the options that I offer to teachers. Keep in mind that I don't particularly like caring for school agers (although I have made exceptions) and that I prefer not to care for the children of teachers because of their work schedules.
  1. Sign a regular full/part-time contract and pay weekly regardless of attendance just like everybody else
  2. Sign a drop-in contract and pay the higher rate. Pre-pay/reserve your days well in advance with the understanding that if I find a regular full/part-time client to fill the spot I can do so but have the option to pay for only the days needed
  3. Change the contract (with appropriate notice) from full to part-time during summer months/school breaks o even terminate the contract entirely and then once school starts again sign another full-time contract. Also with the understanding that I will try to find a full-time client to fill this space and the space may not be available again when needed.
  4. Have the child care payments adjusted similar to how teacher works.

The way I see it is a teacher works about 9 months out of the year and the way it works in my area is that teachers get a choice as to how they want to get paid. They can get larger increments which are paid only during the months of the year that they work or they can choose to divide their salary throughout the year in 12 months.

The last option I give above is me getting paid the same amount per year *just like teachers) but adjusting the payment amount so that the teacher only has to pay during the time that she works. Teachers get paid a salary based on working 9 months of the year whether they choose to get paid 9 or 12 months of the year but I only work 12 months of the year so I would want clients that pay 12 months of the year.
Josiegirl 03:13 PM 02-10-2014
All the teachers' kids I've had in the past have stayed through the summer anyways, they like having that option. But this summer I anticipate my 1 teacher will take 6-7 weeks off and not bring her dd. She's already switched daycares once and even though I feel we have a good rapport, I need that confirmation she's coming back when school starts. I'd only require a nonrefundable holding fee to be applied towards her 1st week back but how would I word something like that?
Thanks for any help you can offer, I'm not very good with words.
Tags:2010, deposit, holding spot - fee, holding spot policy, spots
Reply Up