Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Outdoor Play and Allergy Season
AfterSchoolMom 08:53 AM 04-12-2010
Have any of you ever had a parent request that their child not play outside during the spring allergy season? I just had this happen and don't know what to think. I don't think it's fair to the other children to be cooped up in the house on a beautiful day, but I can't exactly leave the one child in the house alone while everyone else is outside. How would you handle this?
originalkat 09:05 AM 04-12-2010
Man! Spring is the best time to be outside!! I have a dc child with allergies and asthma. She has a breathing treatment twice everyday. Her parents know that we go outside everyday and it is a part of my program. All children need to be able to participate in your program. It is NOT fair to not let the kids go outside because of one child. And you cant leave the other one inside alone either. Maybe he/she could sit on the patio/deck or something. I would just let the parent know that you have considered what she has requested, however, you will not be able to accomadate her request. Have her ask her chids pediatritian for suggestions to ease the symptoms of seasonal allergies.
Childminder 09:12 AM 04-12-2010
I'm sorry but my contract states that we go out every day weather permitting. I have all the children to supervise and in one place, he can't be left in alone. If you bring a Dr note he can be provided with a mask for outdoor play.
Daycare Mommy 09:31 AM 04-12-2010
I'd say, no. Sorry can't do that. The parents need to take her to the pediatrician and get some treatment going. As a seasonal allergy sufferer I can say that this time of year is miserable inside or out so it's not like keeping her in will save her any discomfort anyway. Even if you do keep her in and keep your windows shut and the AC on you can still feel it. She needs to be on meds til this passes.
jen 09:49 AM 04-12-2010
CLARITON...

It is totally unreasonable to expect you to keep the kids in due to the needs of one. As a parent I would be irritated if my child couldn't go out on a beautiful day!
MarinaVanessa 09:59 AM 04-12-2010
I actually have a waiver that I have all of my families sign about participating in activities that reads like this:

Permission to Participate in Family Child Care Activities

I, ________, the parent/guardian, hereby give permission for my child, _____, to use all of the play equipment and participate in all of the activities planned by the child care provider. This form is valid from the above mentioned date until termination.

Parent/Guardian signature: _____________________ Date: _____________

I also have a description in my handbook of possible activities that we may have planned and require this form to be signed. It isn't fair for all of the other children not to participate because of one child.
kdparadise 10:37 AM 04-12-2010
When you are a family daycare and not a family group or daycare center this type of thing is not feasible. Some family daycares do make changes to suit DC kids with disabilities and other health conditions, but that is your choice when it is hindering the other children's basic health and the regulations for outdoor play! Poor kiddo, but I agree, maybe the first plan is that the child get medical help. If the parent doesn't like it and want to abide by your regulations & policies maybe it's time they move on.
Tags:allergies, outside play, waiver
Reply Up