Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Behavior Notebook
Country Kids 01:11 PM 02-28-2012
I'm thinking of doing a behavior notebook for my childcare. I would have a section for each child and would have it nearby me to jot down anything the child may have had troubles with the day, if they received a time out, ect.

I was thinking of having the parents initial it and give them a copy of it if they would like one.

Do any of you do anything like this? I would also include all good behaviors and things like that. I've tried the daily note thing but with this group I'm really needing something that I can just jot things down quickly and go from there. Sometimes by the time I get time to do the daily notes I have forgotten half the things the kids have done.
MrsB 02:05 PM 02-28-2012
This sounds really odd, but I tell parents when they are having issues that are somewhat abnormal for their age or something that really concerns me, but I dont notify every time out or reprimand.

This maybe totally out of line than other peoples view but, I am kind of in the thinking that I am responsible for their behavior while they are here. Toddlers dont understand reprimanding by the parents 6 hours after the occurance. In my experience, if I told a parent how many timeouts/reprimands they had, its not going to change the parents parenting style.

Dont get me wrong, I have done alot of training when a DCK first starts and retraining after weekends and vacations, but for the most part my kids get it and are really good here even if they aren't so good when their not here. Whatever you decide your role is as a daycare provider is up to you. For me though, and I stress for me only, it is not my job to monitor all their bad behavior and relay to parents. If a parent asks I will tell them. But I kind of go with if I dont remember it at pick up then it wasn't big enough an issue to relay. No need to keep a log.

I would like to hope that I can make a significant impact on these kids lives and help with some behavior problems where maybe a parent may fall short.
Country Kids 02:18 PM 02-28-2012
I get what your saying and totally agree but I'm having such a hard time with this group that I'm thinking if the parents see how the child is behaving while they are here, what the consequence was, and then intitial there would never be a problem if it came to terming for behavior. It kinda along the lines of document, document, document. I've never had to term for anything as long as I have done this but I may have to start and was thinking I would want everything documented in case that were to happen. That way the parents could never say they weren't aware there was a problem. Also, I'm not expecting the parents to punish for the behavior. It would just be so they would know the details of the behavior.
Springdaze 02:23 PM 02-28-2012
I understand why you would want to. i let things go sometimes and then fell weird telling the parents when it becomes a problem if it starts to happen all the time, Im talking about hitting and throwing things. But sometimes I feel like I am tattling!!!!
daycare 02:25 PM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I get what your and totally agree but I' having such a hard time with this group that I'm thinking if the parents see how the child is behaving while they are here, what the consequence was, and then intitial there would never be a problem if it came to terming for behavior. It kinda along the lines of document, document, document. I've never had to term for anything as long as I have done this but I may have to start and was thinking I would want everything documented in case that were to happen. That way the parents could never say they weren't aware there was a problem. Also, I'm not expecting the parents to punish for the behavior. It would just be so they would know the details of the behavior.
Years ago I used to use this traffic light behavior chart. Green was a happy face, yellow was a disappointed face and red was a sad face. Kids had to pull their own card and place it next to their name.. The only thing it did was create way too much conversation from the parents at pick up.

What happens here stays here, unless it is something serious or it is something that I can't figure out how to resolve.

Have you tried to change your environment?
Have you tired to change your routine?
Have you tried to separate the problem kids from the good kids?

I have been reading for awhile now that you are having a tough time. Exactly what is going on over there???? What are they doing that makes your days so difficult..... I am just curious to know so we can try to help you....
CheekyChick 02:33 PM 02-28-2012
I would jot down notes and then put the notes on your daily letter for the parents to take home.
Country Kids 02:36 PM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
Years ago I used to use this traffic light behavior chart. Green was a happy face, yellow was a disappointed face and red was a sad face. Kids had to pull their own card and place it next to their name.. The only thing it did was create way too much conversation from the parents at pick up.

What happens here stays here, unless it is something serious or it is something that I can't figure out how to resolve.

Have you tried to change your environment?
Have you tired to change your routine?
Have you tried to separate the problem kids from the good kids?

I have been reading for awhile now that you are having a tough time. Exactly what is going on over there???? What are they doing that makes your days so difficult..... I am just curious to know so we can try to help you....

I PM'd you.
Tags:behavior, behavior chart
Reply Up