Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Soiled Underwear in Day Care Centers
Unregistered 03:15 PM 08-27-2009
I live in Indiana and have a question. The day care my children attend have told me that it is the law that they cannot rinse out soiled underwear. They simply remove it from my child and let it sit in a bag even with poop in it without rinsing or dumping the poop from the panties all day til I come to pick them up. Of course by the time I get it home it is disgusting and the panties are usually ruined by this pt. It becomes not only gross but costly to replace the stained panties. What is Indiana state law on this? Is it true? If it is, whoever passed this one obviously has never opened up a bag of 8 hour old poop.
Thank you kindly
Former Teacher 04:52 PM 08-27-2009
In Texas I don't think there is such as law, however I have read up on other centers and their policy is that of they can not rinse it out.

I would think it is a matter of sanitary. For years I personally would sit there and rinse out the soiled underwear until about 2 years ago. There was a boy who was 4 years old and he was just lazy to go to the bathroom. He would potty in there but he was lazy to do the other one. Well I would rinse out the soiled underwear for the first few times.

I happened to be walking out with the mother one day after she had her bag with his soiled underwear. We had a great communication. I really liked her alot. Anyway, we were walking out to her car so I could wish her and her son a good night and she walked right to the trash can. I was like "no! I already rinsed those out for you. She said do you honestly think I will put that in my washer? Even though its rinsed?"

We went on to have a long discussion and I agreed with her. It became MY policy that should a child in my care soil (THAT way not pee pee) then they would go in the trash.

Yes a few parents got upset because underwear costs money etc.. I just explained to them that I was sorry but I didn't have the time nor the staff to be rinsing out dirty clothes. Eventually over time, it became a personal "unspoken" center policy. I would think it would depend on each center.

As for the law, you might want to check Minimum Standards or perhaps the health department.
ConcernedMotherof2 05:12 PM 08-27-2009
This is one of the reasons I REALLY don't miss the days just after diapers went out the window. I've had many soiled pairs of underpants sent home with my children in plastic bags, but was never told it was the law that it be handled this way.

I saw this stage as part of potty training. Once you make the transition to cloth underpants vs. diapers or pull-ups, kids have accidents. (my daughter had WAY more than her share) Instead of approaching this at an angle of your provider is doing something irritating, it may be more constructive to communicate with them on what you can do to keep your daughter from having these accidents.

I don't know how old she is, but she's obviously old enough to be potty trained and this is what I had to do with my daughter... First, I was lucky enough to have some very understanding and experienced providers during this time and they were able to give me guidance. The communication was essential, as this point in a child's life can be difficult. I had my daughter wash her own panties out (with supervision, of course). She didn't do a very good job, but she was able to get an idea of what a mess she was making and she eventually quit making the mess. Of course, thorough hand washing after she was done was essential.
mac60 06:24 PM 08-27-2009
I would think it is more a "guideline/law, I have a mom who has told me to just throw them away when child pooped in them. I sent them home with them, I didn't want them in my garbage for 4 days.

I too will not rinse out pooped cloth panties. No way. If your child is old enough to be wearing cloth panties, they shouldn't be pooping their pants, and while I understand that if a child is ill or in a unusual situation and it happens, then oh well, just throw them out. For less than $1.75 per hour, I am not cleaning poop underwear. I think the dc was right in what they did. It is definately a sanitary issue, and I personally don't want to have to wash them out in my toilet or put them in my washer.

I will say, that if a child poops their panties, I will do my best to get the poop off by shaking them off. But I am not washing them out.
seashell 05:13 AM 08-28-2009
I will dump the poop in the toilet, bag the undies and send them home.
mac60 05:18 AM 08-28-2009
So parents, what do you think is the right thing for the providers to do in the situation where the childs poops their cloth undies?
Chickenhauler 01:52 AM 08-30-2009
I honestly don't see the big difference between rinsing out some poo and changing a filthy diaper.

If a little poo skeeves out a DC provider that badly, then they're in the wrong business.

To the lady who was throwing rinsed underwear in the trash because "I'm not putting that in my washer", I hope her husband never eats Chili or Brats and Kraut.
Candyland 09:38 PM 02-26-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
So parents, what do you think is the right thing for the providers to do in the situation where the childs poops their cloth undies?
As a parent, I don't want my child's poopy undies!!! Ewww...throw them out, before I do.
HandsOnLearning 12:15 PM 10-26-2009
we throw them our if they are soiled...if they are wet we rinse them and wash them here then put them back in their cubby for next time. Parents understand in the contract it states soiled underwear will be tossed in the trash for safety! Noone complains b/c most of them dont want them back anyway
Unregistered 10:48 AM 10-29-2009
I guess my rules, are that if there is formed poop in underwear, I try and just get it to go into the toilet, if not, everything is wrapped up in a bag, and sent home for the parents to deal with.
Unregistered 10:53 AM 10-30-2009
I have a little one in cloth diapers at my home daycare, and I guess I'd do the same with underwear accidents as I do with the cloth diapers. Dump whatever poop I can and bag it up to go home. I don't have the time to be rinsing or soaking things. And as a parent, I'd want to know if my child was having accidents in their underwear, so I'd want them to come home with me, even if I did just toss them in the trash ...
canadiancare 11:41 AM 11-03-2009
I'll dump out formed poop. I have to wonder if the poster's child is ready for underwear if this is a constant occurrence.
Persephone 08:17 AM 01-13-2010
I think they should at least dump the poop out in the to potty.

And that won't put the dirty underwear in your washer would never be able to use cloth diapers.
Dordhs 04:13 PM 03-26-2010
Can someone please suggest some person who will stay and take care of 2 month old kid along with kids wife and grandmother.
Also please give me the rates if available.
mac60 06:27 PM 03-26-2010
Originally Posted by dordhs:
can someone please suggest some person who will stay and take care of 2 month old kid along with kids wife and grandmother.
huh????????
Daycare Mommy 02:27 AM 03-27-2010
Originally Posted by Dordhs:
Can someone please suggest some person who will stay and take care of 2 month old kid along with kids wife and grandmother.
ROFL I think you are lost.. and what are you talking about? What an odd thread to be lost on too. haha
mac60 05:33 AM 03-27-2010
Maybe they got lost looking for the spray and wash to spray the "poop stains"?????? Sorry, lol
Childminder 09:02 AM 03-27-2010
R 400.1923 Diapering and toilet learning.
Rule 23. (1) Diapering of infants and toddlers shall only occur in a designated changing area.
(2) The designated changing area shall comply with all of the following:
(a) Be used exclusively for changing wet or soiled diapers or underwear.
(b) Be located away from food preparation and meal service areas.
(c) Have access to a hand washing sink that is not used for food preparation.
(d) Have a nonabsorbent, easily sanitized surface with a changing pad between the child and the surface.
(e) Be cleaned and sanitized after each use.
(f) Have diapering/changing supplies within easy reach.
(g) Have a plastic-lined, tightly covered container exclusively for disposable diapers and diapering supplies that shall be emptied and sanitized at the end of each day.
(3) Diapers or training pants shall be changed when wet or soiled.
(4) Only single use disposable wipes or other single use cleaning cloths shall be used to clean a child during the diapering or toileting process.
(5) If cloth diapers/training pants are provided by the parent, then soiled diapers/training pants shall be placed in an individual, securely tied plastic bag and returned to the parent at the end of the day.
(6) Toilet learning shall be planned cooperatively between the parent and the caregiver so that the toilet routine established is consistent.
(7) If toilet learning equipment, such as potty chairs and modified toilet seats, are used, then the following shall apply:
(a) They shall be able to be easily cleaned and sanitized.
(b) Potty chairs shall be emptied, rinsed, and sanitized after each use.
(8) If disposable gloves are used, then they shall only be used once for a specific child and be removed and disposed of in a safe and sanitary manner immediately after each diaper change.

R 400.1923 (5) Diapering and toilet learning.
(5) If cloth diapers/training pants are provided by the parent, then
soiled diapers/training pants shall be placed in an individual,
securely tied plastic bag and returned to the parent at the end of
the day.
Rationale Containing and minimizing the handling of soiled diapers reduces the
chance that other surfaces are contaminated which prevents the spread
of infectious disease and the transmission of germs.
Technical
Assistance
The contents of a soiled cloth diaper may be dumped but the diaper
must not be rinsed.

nannyde 04:09 AM 03-28-2010
If a kid poops their pants at my house they go back into diapers until they are accident free for two weeks. I don't deal with kids being pee trained but not poop trained. It has to be both.

I don't have this happen but once every five-7 years or so. I don't switch kids out of diapers until I KNOW they are ready. They have to show me weeks of telling me they have to go before they have to go and doing both pee and poop before the unders come on.

I am VERY strict about wearing protection until they are completely ready to go into undies. It's been three years since I've even had a pee accident here. It's been seven years since I've had a poop accident. I don't want my carpet ruined to save the parents a dollar or two in diapers a day and I won't pay for staff time to clean poopy underwear and clean up the kid.

Sounds to me like the kid still isn't potty trained.
Unregistered 01:07 AM 04-16-2010
i should also mention that there was one time when i was dumpin feces from underwear into the toilet when a co-worker told me that i didn't have to do that - to which i replied - i couldn't imagine putting it into a bag when it was so easy to move my hand over and dump it

furthermore, when i worked at a daycare, my son was in the 3 year old room (had just been moved up) and i worked with school aged children. i could see how frustrated the "teachers" in his room would get when a child had an accident, so i SPECIFICALLY requested that if my son had an accident that they send him over to me to clean him up myself. well, i got home one night and was opening his soiled clothes bag into the laundry only to find a big lump of feces. i was FURIOUS and i let the worker know it the next day. i was in the same building - just a hop, skip, and a jump away - and instead of sending him over to me, she put his dirty underwear, feces and all, into a bag. that is not only disgusting, but rude! if you aren't prepared to deal with potty accidents, then i suggest you find a new profession!
HeatherB 08:51 AM 05-17-2010
If having daily accidents.. this child would not be wearing big girl/boy underware. No way! If they parents want him/her in them.. they deal with the mess!
bigdaycare12 05:11 PM 02-24-2011
i had a preschooler who wasn`t potty trained i told the parents i can throw them away or they go ack in diapers they picked throw them away and in 2 weeks she just kept doing it so we put her in favorvitre cather undies and when she saw those go in the trash she pooped in the potty
daycare 06:44 PM 02-24-2011
how did the old post resurface? lol
I read most of the post,, some are so gross I almost could not stand to read on but some where so funny I did..

Pull ups...you poopie or peepee your not wearing underwear at my house!!
Meeko 12:53 PM 03-03-2011
It's not just the "Eeww" factor.

In my state, we are not allowed to "toilet swish" We are required to send it home for the parent. Health laws state that droplets even too microscopic to see or feel get airborn and the health risk is a concern. Feces is nasty stuff. On a changing table, with gloves on, it is more contained and less likely to be flying around. Rinsing/swishing etc. is more harmful. The health dept worry about hepatitis etc.
QualiTcare 05:19 AM 03-04-2011
there's really no big risk by dumping a turd in the toilet which of course you'd also have gloves on for and putting the underwear straight into a plastic bag.

i think it's funny that cloth diapers are such a big hit, but the thought of cleaning a turd from underwear is so disgusting.
jen 06:42 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
there's really no big risk by dumping a turd in the toilet which of course you'd also have gloves on for and putting the underwear straight into a plastic bag.

i think it's funny that cloth diapers are such a big hit, but the thought of cleaning a turd from underwear is so disgusting.
I don't mind dumping poop in the potty...but in my experience, it isn't usually dumpable. It has been sat on, squised in, and requires a bit more effort than that. If I have a kid with that kind of accident, then of course I dump it and bag the undies. The rest of the time I throw the undies in the garbage.
bigmama 05:15 PM 04-05-2011
i won`t wash out undies i talked to parents and i throw them away a couple weeks ago a boy pooped his underwear so bad (he was doing it for a hour) i had to throw away everthing his underwear,pants,shirt,socks,shoes,cot,blanket,and teddy bear
Hunni Bee 04:13 PM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by bigmama:
i won`t wash out undies i talked to parents and i throw them away a couple weeks ago a boy pooped his underwear so bad (he was doing it for a hour) i had to throw away everthing his underwear,pants,shirt,socks,shoes,cot,blanket,and teddy bear
Im sorry, I dont understand how he could be pooping on himself for an hour at daycare, and no one noticed it or cleaned him up. Because you said you had to throw out his cot and blanket, I assume it was during naptime, so maybe he did it in his sleep?? ...It kind of sounds like he was left to poop on himself for an hour...maybe its just the way it was worded.
daycare 04:45 PM 04-15-2011
how did this get pulled back up again...wow what a lot of crazy reading...But it was good entertainment while I waited to see the doctor..

All that I can say is no matter educated a person is..........there is one thing that can not be taught and that is LOVE........you can have all the education in the world and NOT know how to love ...... To me, Love is the number one thing that makes us all great providers regardless of our education or where we came from...........

Ok I'm done....lol
MyAngels 08:22 PM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
how did this get pulled back up again...wow what a lot of crazy reading...But it was good entertainment while I waited to see the doctor..

All that I can say is no matter educated a person is..........there is one thing that can not be taught and that is LOVE........you can have all the education in the world and NOT know how to love ...... To me, Love is the number one thing that makes us all great providers regardless of our education or where we came from...........

Ok I'm done....lol
The first thing I thought of when I glanced back to see how long this thread has been going is "this is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends..."

Oops, I think I just dated myself !
CheekyChick 11:30 AM 12-06-2011
Just a few thoughts...

1. If your child was in cloth diapers - they would get sent home poop and all. No difference with panties.

2. If your child is still pooping in her panties, then she should still be in Pull-Ups.

3. Where do you expect the employees to wash her panties out? In the sink where the children wash their hands or the kitchen sink where food is prepared? I can't imagine that you would want them to put everyone's health at risk to clean out the panties.

I'm not trying to sound harsh, but I can't believe this would be an issue for someone to clean their own child's poopy panties out at home.
sillygoose16 03:07 PM 12-06-2011
After speaking with my childs teacher I was informed that the accident to which she had to panties to wear happened 10 mins. before I got there. I dont expect them to wash her soiled clothes. I'm ok with that coming home. I'm not ok picking her up with wet pants on and not wearing underpants. Thats just disgusting.
CheekyChick 01:39 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by sillygoose16:
After speaking with my childs teacher I was informed that the accident to which she had to panties to wear happened 10 mins. before I got there. I dont expect them to wash her soiled clothes. I'm ok with that coming home. I'm not ok picking her up with wet pants on and not wearing underpants. Thats just disgusting.
If I were you, I would put your daughter back in Pull-Ups until she is fully potty trained. This will help avoid the stress of cleaning out her soiled clothes at home. If that's not an option, I would send LOTS of panties/pants so she is never sent home without panties again. Since the staff isn't always telling you when she runs low, are you allowed to see her cubby so you can keep on top of what she needs?
Heyjames 06:34 PM 03-01-2012
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
Just a few thoughts...

1. If your child was in cloth diapers - they would get sent home poop and all. No difference with panties.

2. If your child is still pooping in her panties, then she should still be in Pull-Ups.

3. Where do you expect the employees to wash her panties out? In the sink where the children wash their hands or the kitchen sink where food is prepared? I can't imagine that you would want them to put everyone's health at risk to clean out the panties.

I'm not trying to sound harsh, but I can't believe this would be an issue for someone to clean their own child's poopy panties out at home.
#2...accidents happen..
#3...nope, but they can dump out the solid poop in the potty, and bag the rest...

I know personally I don't care about cleaning my own kids clothes, that's my job, but don't want my son to be coming hope with a bag that has a ball of poop in it...
Unregistered 10:10 PM 06-12-2012
Sorry for reviving an old thread but this is seriously cracking me up!

To the person who thinks it's gross to swish in the toilet, and whoever wouldnt put poopu panties in the washer: clearly you never cloth dipes a child! That's cool. Just know it's normalcy for many of us.

When we first interviewed them, I was incredulous that our awesome, fabulous and much-beloved daycare provider happily agreed to using our cloth diapers. They have cheerfully done it for over two years now. I would never, ever expect them to fully rinse out a diaper. Seriously???? Who would expect that? The drippy diaper makes such a mess, you really have to be going straight Into a pail or preferably the washer!

I would be LIVID if my daycare threw out my daughter's panties now that she's potty training. That would just seem crazy to me. But then again...we were attracted to the kind of provider who was happy to handle cloth diapers.

In return for their attitude about this and many other things, my husband and I are extremely loyal, pay very fair rates and have refered lots of good parents to our daycare. They are awesome!!!
Hunni Bee 06:01 PM 06-16-2012
-ing at the tags for this thread - "dead horse", "the post that never ends"...

Anyway, I do NOT get paid enough to swish anyone's underwear around in a toilet. I cannot/will not scrub poopy underwear in any sink or put them in the washer.

I will:

Clean the child
Change their clothing
Dump solid poop in the toilet
Bag the poopy clothes and send them home
Soak clothing stained with things other than body fluids, so the stains don't set

If the underwear are horrible/too stinky, I bag and throw away, and call the parent and tell them I did it. I haven't had a parent get angry with me for that yet.
Unregistered 09:16 AM 01-28-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I live in Indiana and have a question. The day care my children attend have told me that it is the law that they cannot rinse out soiled underwear. They simply remove it from my child and let it sit in a bag even with poop in it without rinsing or dumping the poop from the panties all day til I come to pick them up. Of course by the time I get it home it is disgusting and the panties are usually ruined by this pt. It becomes not only gross but costly to replace the stained panties. What is Indiana state law on this? Is it true? If it is, whoever passed this one obviously has never opened up a bag of 8 hour old poop.
Thank you kindly
I personally didn't allow parents to bring their child unless they were already almost trained at home because of things like this. In CO it's not legal to wash out a child's soiled underwear either. The reason is because it's considered unsanitary. Where would we rinse everyone else's child's undies? In the sink where handwashing is enforced? My bathtub? The kitchen? Where?

So, I did bag up the poopy underwear but I did always spray some stain remover on them. I was very good about getting the actual poop (not the remnants) into the toilet though. If it was a huge stain? I would just throw the underwear away. Yes, it can be somewhat costly to replace undies...but...it is FAR more expensive and wasteful to keep your children in diapers. If they are pretty well potty trained, generally, there should be no reason that anyone would be throwing away that many pairs of underwear to the point there is a hefty cost.

As a daycare provider who got fed up with ridiculous parents, I quit. I would NEVER in a million years get a college degree to run a child care out of my home or work in a daycare center. At home, I got **** pay. At a center, you get minimum wage. I want to know how many parents her think it's actually realistic and feasible to go and spend a ton of money on college knowing you could NEVER pay back any loans off of the job we do (or in my case, did) I mean you are not being serious that you think we should go do that, right? You want to pay $1.50/hr (Yes, I have taken that little) to me but you want me to have a degree? I say you are EFFING CRAZY! It's disgusting that parents priorities are misplaced these days. What happened to your CHILD being the most important thing in your life? Since when is it acceptable to treat your providers like crap so you can have all the material things you want, and yet not want to even provide the BASIC stuff for your child? FFS, a pack of 6 underwear is around $5-$6. A pack of diapers which you throw away after one use (say a pack of 28 Huggies) is at least $10! Either potty train your kid, or don't. It's not your provider's job to do all the work for you anyway.

SO MANY parents just don't want to be parents anymore, they want someone else to raise their kids and then bitch at them when things aren't exactly like THEY want them to be. They are not there with the kids nearly as much as the provider, and yet they think they know everything.

I'm now a working mom and I tell you, the school tends to know a lot about my children and while it's hard to admit that, I do actually appreciate their involvement when I can't be there. You would be amazed at what providers know and do for your kids. I say if you are that unhappy with your provider, or providers in general, quit your job and babysit (you'll last a week!)...and do us all a favor, don't have any more children.

In fact, ANYONE who bitches about how expensive children are should be aware of some birth control options out there. Do I sound really MEAN? YEP. Do I care? NO because no one cares when they are being rude to daycare providers. It's time someone told it like it really is.
Heyjames 06:35 PM 02-29-2012
This is an issue that just came up in my daycare. Today I got a bag of clothes from my son that was completed covered in poop. Solid in the underwear, but some parts mushed due to being smushed in his cubby. The underwear was destroyed and other clothes have been soaking for hours so I can get them cleaned. I understand it can be gross, but atleast dump the solid poop out...there is no need for that. takes no more time than it does to wipe a butt.
JenNJ 10:25 AM 03-01-2012
Originally Posted by Heyjames:
This is an issue that just came up in my daycare. Today I got a bag of clothes from my son that was completed covered in poop. Solid in the underwear, but some parts mushed due to being smushed in his cubby. The underwear was destroyed and other clothes have been soaking for hours so I can get them cleaned. I understand it can be gross, but atleast dump the solid poop out...there is no need for that. takes no more time than it does to wipe a butt.
i can imagine that this is frustrating to parents. But there a few things that I think parents need to understand.

It is illegal dump solid waste in the trash. I shake off whatever solid waste I can over the toilet. Unfortunately, a lot of the time this causes the water to splash onto the toilet and floor. Then I need to clean the entire bathroom before anyone else can use it.

I have up to seven children who need to be supervised during this time. I cannot neglect the needs of children in order to save a pair of underwear or an outfit. So the easiest and MOST RESPONSIBLE thing for me to do is to shake off what I can and bag the clothing.

Would any parent really want a group of children including their child minimally supervised while a provider dealt with poopy clothing so that it doesn't stain?
Heyjames 06:26 PM 03-01-2012
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
i can imagine that this is frustrating to parents. But there a few things that I think parents need to understand.

It is illegal dump solid waste in the trash. I shake off whatever solid waste I can over the toilet. Unfortunately, a lot of the time this causes the water to splash onto the toilet and floor. Then I need to clean the entire bathroom before anyone else can use it.

I have up to seven children who need to be supervised during this time. I cannot neglect the needs of children in order to save a pair of underwear or an outfit. So the easiest and MOST RESPONSIBLE thing for me to do is to shake off what I can and bag the clothing.

Would any parent really want a group of children including their child minimally supervised while a provider dealt with poopy clothing so that it doesn't stain?

I do understand that it takes away from the other students, and if the roles were reversed, I would not want my child not supervised. I biggest issue was having a solid poop put in a bag and handed to me. I have a washing machine, stains aren't my concern, But I am in the child care industry and we dump solids...

The directors answer to my concern was the assistant that took care of my son had given her notice, was bitter and lazy and just didn't care, so she bagged all of it up and gave it to me....that's a problem...
Tags:2009, dead horse, older kids, poop, rinse, soiled, the post that would not end, underwear, wash
Reply Up