Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>A Little Nervous on Their Response
mac60 09:55 AM 08-26-2010
I have a family that had a boy go to first grade this year, and the 4 yr old is here ft, but will go to real preschool 3 afternoons per week from 12:30 t0 3:30. I consider her ft still because she takes a fulltime spot. So I had to give them a new fee schedule and this is what I came up with.

1 Fulltime child $85
1 After School child $25
$110 per week

No extra charge for 1, 2, or 3 hour delays.
No school days/school cancellations: add $5 per day never to exceed $135 per week.

For the past 4 years, they have been paying the same ft fee of $125. Well, 3 years ago I raised my rates for new people, but have never changed theirs. So, do you think my fees are fair or too steep since they were only paying $125 for ft care. I am prepared to tell them if they ask me why their fee only went down $15 dollars, that I never raised their daycare rates and now with the changes, I am only reflecting what my rates for other families have been for over 3 years. (Does that make sense). I am a little nervous on this.
kpa0627 10:04 AM 08-26-2010
Are they paying for the preschool that they are sending him to for the 3 hours each day? If so, do you know how much they're paying there?
TGT09 10:04 AM 08-26-2010
I think it's fair. I just made my rates less confusing so it dropped for some parents and raised for others. No one questioned me since it wasn't much. I'd be prepared to tell them and stick to your guns. Make sure they know that they were getting a deal for the past 3 years.
mac60 10:08 AM 08-26-2010
I am sure they are paying for the preschool. $10 years ago it was $170 for a 10 week session 2 days per week, have no idea what it is now. Thing is, I do a preschool curriculum here, so there is no way I will deduct for them sending her elsewhere. They are only my 2nd family to ever send their child to "real preschool".
MyAngels 03:58 PM 08-26-2010
I have only ever had one family who questioned why their rate did not go down when they sent their child to a three day a week half day preschool, and I simply told them that their child was taking a full-time spot, and that if I came across a family who only wanted care for those three afternoons per week that I would certainly lower their rates, but if not, the rate would remain the same.
kitkat 04:27 PM 08-26-2010
I think it's completely fair what you are charging them. I think your explanation for if they question the rate is also logical. My contract says that parents will continue to pay while their child is at preschool outside of my care.
Unregistered 03:45 PM 08-29-2010
Yes it makes sense and you still charge full rates. I had a preschooler go half days all 5 days a week and they still paid full time price a child isnt considered before and after care till they are in school full time.
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:48 PM 08-29-2010
You still have to hold that spot for her. It's only fair that they pay the same regardless of whether she leaves in the middle of the day or not. That's their decision to send her somewhere else, even with you providing preschool. What's their definition of "real" preschool? I only had one child going somewhere else to preschool while he was in our care, but that was because he'd started out there before starting daycare with us. Some children came to us JUST for the preschool part (and I don't have a teaching degree). They can call it what they want, but you are a "real" preschool too, if you specifically have a preschool curriculum and time set aside for preschool each week.
Tags:rates
Reply Up