Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Green mucus, sick child question
Little Star75 09:44 AM 03-25-2013
So this morning I get a text from one DCP saying dcb will not be coming because he has a bad ear infection so my question is ..... Can he return tomorrow? Or should I request a doctors note if he's going to be on prescribed medication?

Another DCP brings their 2 dck and both come in with runny nose and coughing. One of them has bad allergies, DCP brought doctors note last week. My question is.... Do you get green mucus when having allergies? Btw they are both coughing a lot. I told DCP he needs to call the doctor for the one I don't have a note for.
CedarCreek 09:49 AM 03-25-2013
Definitely get the Mom to sign your medication authorization form and fill it out if she wants you to administer it. Also get a note from the Dr seeing he's okay to return to care. Did he have a fever?

The others,I think you can get green snot from just allergies but i'm not sure. Why aren't they on allergy medication if its so bad? I'd ask Mom about that.
Little Star75 10:05 AM 03-25-2013
Only boy is on medication but not girl. I don't administer any meds period....meds are given at home by parents. Dad said he's going to make an appt for dcg.

How about the other dcb with bad ear infection? Should I require doctors note too?

Thanks
CedarCreek 10:22 AM 03-25-2013
I'd say yes if he had a fever with the ear infection
butterfly 10:33 AM 03-25-2013
I don't exclude for an ear infection. They may return after 24 hours on meds. If they come and are running a fever, I send them back home. But otherwise, this isn't contagious so I wouldn't even require a doctor's note.
Little Star75 10:44 AM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
I don't exclude for an ear infection. They may return after 24 hours on meds. If they come and are running a fever, I send them back home. But otherwise, this isn't contagious so I wouldn't even require a doctor's note.
At this point I'm most concerned if this child feeling good to be back. I know ear infections aren't contagious but this child has been in my care and has been miserable when he's been sick. I feel mom is not being honest with me about having any fever. Should I require her a note? I'm just going crazy all morning trying to figure out what do do.
Little Star75 10:46 AM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
I don't either but how do I know if dcb is giving meds? Parent always tries to hide these things from me so that I would accept him
CedarCreek 10:50 AM 03-25-2013
You'll be able to tell around lunch time if he spikes a fever. You can't prove it, but you'll know. If this happens, call mom for pick up and don't allow him back for 24 hours.

If you are very concerned that she will do this and is lying about not having a fever, insist on a doctors note.
KDC 11:01 AM 03-25-2013
I had a boy with green mucus for weeks. She said she didn't see it at home, at first I was like ... yea, Lady - I guess my house is the magic boogie house. I told her it was constant, and I needed a Dr. note for him to return. She took him to the Dr. , and it WAS allergies. We have a dog, they do not. I took him outside, she did not. This was over last summer. So, they put him on children allergy med, just OTC... and the green boogies went away =)

So... Green boogies, could mean allergies...

Ear infections hurt, but aren't contagious. Typically I'd like them to be on antibiotics for 24 hours to give them some time to feel better and get the rest they need. For a child that gets them frequently, this might be a hard sell.
Little Star75 11:30 AM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by KDC:
I had a boy with green mucus for weeks. She said she didn't see it at home, at first I was like ... yea, Lady - I guess my house is the magic boogie house. I told her it was constant, and I needed a Dr. note for him to return. She took him to the Dr. , and it WAS allergies. We have a dog, they do not. I took him outside, she did not. This was over last summer. So, they put him on children allergy med, just OTC... and the green boogies went away =)

So... Green boogies, could mean allergies...

Ear infections hurt, but aren't contagious. Typically I'd like them to be on antibiotics for 24 hours to give them some time to feel better and get the rest they need. For a child that gets them frequently, this might be a hard sell.
Oh oh seems like I'm going to have to deal with it then. Mom gets very upset because she has to miss work and then pay daycare when dcb can't come. Ugh
Thank you so much for all your responses
Tags:allergies, coughing
Reply Up