Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>CPR/First Aid
SquirrellyMama 12:41 PM 03-04-2013
I need to renew my CPR/First Aid/Blood Born Pathogen cert so I'm signed up next week for a class. Two days and both are 4 hours long It is a 2 year certification so that isn't so bad.

I'm looking forward to it.

K
Blackcat31 01:16 PM 03-04-2013
Don't feel too bad, the CPR refresher course here is 4 hours long but the first aid course is an 8 hour class.
ABCDaycareMN 01:23 PM 03-04-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Don't feel too bad, the CPR refresher course here is 4 hours long but the first aid course is an 8 hour class.
I must have gotten lucky when i got mine done last fall. It was suppose to be a 6 hour class for both and it only ended you being 4 hours. That was for cpr/first aid.
SquirrellyMama 01:23 PM 03-04-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Wow! When I was a registered daycare several years ago my CPR/First Aid course was 2 hours. Or maybe it was 2 hours each. Anyway, I'm taking this directly from the Red Cross office this time instead of the CCR office.

K
MyAngels 01:43 PM 03-04-2013
I did mine online through the AHA last time & just did the skills test with the instructor (took about 15 minutes). I find that to be the easiest since I've taken it so many times I could probably do it blindfolded.
melilley 06:17 PM 03-04-2013
We have to do cpr every year here! I did a refresher through the Red Cross and it was only about 1 1/2 hours long. Our first aid lasts 3 years.
KDC 07:28 PM 03-04-2013
I did mine last weekend, I did mine through American Red Cross - the blended course... Did the pre work online and just the physical test in a class... Took 1-1/2 hrs only. Great refresher... Did the pediatric CPR/AED & first aid.
SquirrellyMama 04:52 AM 03-05-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
We have to do cpr every year here! I did a refresher through the Red Cross and it was only about 1 1/2 hours long. Our first aid lasts 3 years.
When I took it from 2003-2007 I had to take it every year but it was only a 2 hour course. I was assuming since it is a longer course I get more time out of my cert.

K
Meeko 05:22 AM 03-05-2013
We go to the local fire dept. Four hours covers both 1st aid and CPR. It's a course specifically designed for the average citizen, daycare providers, supervisor at job sites etc. Very easy to understand and done in a friendly and casual way.

The Red Cross ones around here are VERY intense, VERY detailed and VERY long and designed mainly for nurses/EMT's who are re-certifying. Super serious etc.

While it IS a serious subject, our local firemen make it fun and entertaining with their stories and humor, while getting the important info across.

I know other fire departments do the same thing. Maybe call your local station?
Meeko 05:26 AM 03-05-2013
We go to the local fire dept. Four hours covers both 1st aid and CPR. It's a course specifically designed for the average citizen, daycare providers, supervisor at job sites etc. Very easy to understand and done in a friendly and casual way.

The Red Cross ones around here are VERY intense, VERY detailed and VERY long and designed mainly for nurses/EMT's who are re-certifying. Super serious etc.

While it IS a serious subject, our local firemen make it fun and entertaining with their stories and humor, while getting the important info across.

One of our instructors is in his late 80's! He's quite the character and well known around town. Retired from the fire department many years ago, but just can't stay away and likes to keep busy. He gives the young firemen such a hard time and they obviously love him. I actually look forward to renewing! It will be sad when Tom is gone........
makap 05:38 AM 03-05-2013
I wish it were only 4 hours long for 2 days here. I just did my First Aid CPR/AED this weekend and it was 16 hours. 9-5 both days however we got out early the second day at 4pm It was a looong 2 days. I found it so tiring and boring. Here it is good for 3 years.

Mine had expired though otherwise it would have been a one day 8 hour course.
SquirrellyMama 08:20 AM 03-05-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:

There were 2 options. One was for lay responders and the was for professional responders. I'm taking the lay responder course.

K
ABCDaycareMN 08:33 AM 03-05-2013

One of our instructors is in his late 80's! He's quite the character and well known around town. Retired from the fire department many years ago, but just can't stay away and likes to keep busy. He gives the young firemen such a hard time and they obviously love him. I actually look forward to renewing! It will be sad when Tom is gone........

The course i took was very fun. It didn't feel like an actual class but i did learn. and i feel i learned better than i would have with a very structured class. i took mine though the American Heart Association.
Springdaze 09:11 AM 03-05-2013
I took the combined FA/cpr and one is good for a year and one for 2 or something so I did another 1/2 class last year. both expire this year so Im looking at 8 hours in one day i guess! When i took the combined class, I came out at lunch to find my car was towed! Boy was my hubby maaaaad! (sorry!)
MarinaVanessa 09:33 AM 03-05-2013

Ours are required to be either through the American Red Cross or through the American Heart Association. Other are accepted if they are specific to CPR and first-aid for adults, children and infants which in my area no others are. Both First aid and CPR courses through the AHA and through ARC here are 3-4 hours each so to re-certify we have to take an 6-8 hour course so consider yourselves lucky if you can take a 4 hour course through someplace else . At least ours are also both good for 2 years, they used to only be good for 1 year. When we first get certified to get our daycare licenses it's a 2 day course and 15 hours long combined .
snbauser 10:02 AM 03-05-2013
I just signed up to renew my certification since it expires soon. Thankfully my class is only 3 1/2 years and is good for 2 years.
SquirrellyMama 10:17 AM 03-05-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
When we first get certified to get our daycare licenses it's a 2 day course and 15 hours long combined .
I think that is too long to be useful. I would need it broken up into more days with fewer hours.

K
MarinaVanessa 10:36 AM 03-05-2013
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
I think that is too long to be useful. I would need it broken up into more days with fewer hours.

K
I think they do that too but during the week, I chose to do the 2 day weekend course because that's the only time I had available to do it. Even now my re-certifications were done in one day on a Saturday just to get it all out of the way at once.
Sunnyyy1 04:22 PM 03-05-2013
I am due for a renewal for both also and my class for both Is 6hrs, but at least it's on a Saturday.
Reply Up