Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What are your holiday traditions at home or attractions in your neighborhood?
permanentvacation 02:05 PM 12-16-2014
When I had more money, I used to have a Christmas Eve party for my family and a few friends. 'Santa Claus' would be there. The parents would secretly bring their child one toy for Santa to give them at the party. My family would also go see the train sets at the local fire houses and drive around looking at Christmas lights in the neighborhoods. We also would bake Christmas cookies at my house with some family and friends.

The past couple of years, though, I don't have money to do much, but last year and this year, I went to 'The Miracle on 34th Street'. Which, other than gas money for a 1/2 hour round trip, is free!

There's a street in Baltimore, 34th Street, where every house on both sides of the street put up Christmas lights and lots of decorations. They call it 'The Miracle on 34th Street'.My daughter, her boyfriend and I went there to see the lights last night.

Here's a link. http://www.christmasstreet.com/
daycare 02:12 PM 12-16-2014
my family did not really celebrate christmas growing up, so I guess the only tradition that I can say we had in my home county was fasting. Which was super easy for me because I am already vegan.

we didn't have santa we had baba noel, but we did not get to celebrate it becuase of our church we attended.

I don't have any family where I live, only close friends and my husbands family. We used to do a white elephant party where we all wore ugly christmas sweaters we made, but in past years we have had many deaths in the family and people moving away, so we don't do that any more either.

We will not have any family traditions this year...
permanentvacation 02:40 PM 12-16-2014
Oh, another tradition that I do is...

I buy a birthday cake for Jesus and my kids and I sing Happy Birthday to Jesus. Even when I'm broke, I do that. After all, Christmas' purpose is to celebrate Jesus' birth.

It's kind of weird, but for the most part, celebrating Christmas has become more of a Santa Claus and presents thing than focusing on Jesus. This way, we bring Jesus back into the celebrations.
Meeko 04:49 PM 12-16-2014
We have the Spanish Fork Festival of Light just south of us...a fun drive through light display. Very cheap and family friendly.

But everything local pales to going to Salt Lake City to see the lights at Temple Square. We go every year! Hot chocolate, MILLIONS of lights, horse drawn carriages with lights on them and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing carols........it's not Christmas without it for me!
sahm1225 08:59 PM 12-16-2014
Growing up we always got together with our cousins the afternoon of Xmas day and my mom would cook an amazing feast. With our kids - we stay home Xmas Eve and go to church at night (or next morning). The kids watch an Xmas movie and open one gift (it's always pajanas and hot chocolate mix). Then dh and I just rest until the next morning. we host Xmas afternoon for my family. My dh cooks Italian food and my siblings come over. We do Xmas with my dh family after Xmas and we have the 7 fish.
Reply Up