Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Cut Up GRAPES For A 4 Year Old?
Loveyoustinkyface 03:48 AM 02-05-2013
Curious to know if you cut grapes in half for 4 years old. I recently had a parent come during snack time and DCB was eating grapes. DCD looked shocked when he walked in and saw him eating the grapes whole, he mentioned to me that he would prefer them to be cut in half for choking reasons. I thought a 4 year should be fine eating them whole.

Does anyone else cut up grapes for 4 year olds?
kitykids3 04:29 AM 02-05-2013
For a 4 year old?! Um, no. They have teeth and know how to take bites. I don't even cut them for my 2 year olds.

Tell dcd if he wants them cut for dck, he can come cut them up or bring some. j/k
Meyou 04:29 AM 02-05-2013
I don't but I do make a point to keep a close eye out when they eat them.
MamaBearCanada 04:38 AM 02-05-2013
No. I wouldn't much after age 2 unless they have food issues or developmental delays.
Lianne 05:09 AM 02-05-2013
I don't cut them up for most of my one year olds. I am NOT cutting up grapes for a 4yr old.

Sometime between 12-15mos, when I notice the child is capable of chewing better, I start offering them whole grapes. If they manage them, they get them whole. If they struggle, I continue to cut them up for a few more weeks then try again.
momofsix 05:13 AM 02-05-2013
As long as a child is in my care they get their grapes cut up, no matter how old they are I'm just too paranoid to take the chance ever.
I know a child that choked on a hot dog and died. So sad and so easily preventable.
VTMom 05:17 AM 02-05-2013
I have a 3 1/2 year old that I still cut grapes for. I'm too paranoid about choking. It's not worth the risk for me. I also care for a 1 and 2 year old, so I'm cutting anyway, but I think regardless, I'd still do it. I'm not sure when I'll stop. I don't even send grapes to school for my kids' snacks!

I know a lot of people do offer whole grapes at a younger age. It's just not for me. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
canadiancare 05:24 AM 02-05-2013
I rarely serve grapes because I can't keep up with their eating with my cutting....I also cut up any sausage type food. My friend is a nurse who treated without success an 8 year old girl who had a piece of hotdog in her throat. I can't get that story out of my mind so I quarter everything.
LK5kids 06:07 AM 02-05-2013
Originally Posted by canadiancare:
I rarely serve grapes because I can't keep up with their eating with my cutting....I also cut up any sausage type food. My friend is a nurse who treated without success an 8 year old girl who had a piece of hotdog in her throat. I can't get that story out of my mind so I quarter everything.
I would quarter hot dogs also!
bunnyslippers 05:30 AM 02-05-2013
Originally Posted by momofsix:
As long as a child is in my care they get their grapes cut up, no matter how old they are I'm just too paranoid to take the chance ever.
I know a child that choked on a hot dog and died. So sad and so easily preventable.
This! I feel like the time it takes to cut them is worth it ~ I would never want to risk it for even a second!
lovemykidstoo 05:56 AM 02-05-2013
I cut them in half for that age and I actually cut them in quarters for under 2. Whole grapes for under 2 are not recommended. I've read that many times. Definate choking hazard. It takes seconds to cut a grape in half. I had a 3 year old choke on apple pieces once. I mean I cut them up in little tiny pieces but she must have had a few in there at once. I mean she was CHOKING. She was not taking in air at all. I did my move on her and it worked thank God. It's not worth the chance. I did have a mom one time tell me that I should skin the grapes to ward off choking. Yea, have you ever tried to skin a grape? UGH!
LK5kids 06:06 AM 02-05-2013
I always halved grapes for kids under five. They are on the top ten choking foods for kids four and under. They are not much smaller than a hot dog and a hot dog about is about the same size a young grade school child's throat.

Hot dogs freak me out! I'd cut them in fourths for sure!
Francine 06:10 AM 02-06-2013
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
This! I feel like the time it takes to cut them is worth it ~ I would never want to risk it for even a second!
ME TOO! I always cut them at least in half.
Blackcat31 06:14 AM 02-06-2013
....I can already see this one heading in the wrong direction.

I surely hope we can all just agree to disagree......
Willow 06:04 AM 02-05-2013

I do and feel the same way.

If God forbid anything like that were to happen to a child in my care I would need to know I did everything I could to have prevented it.
JenNJ 06:17 AM 02-05-2013
I don't serve grapes at all. Or hot dogs. Just not worth the risk to me.

But my son is 6.5, my daughter 4 and I still cut there grapes and hot dogs. It takes me a minute and may prevent a tragic accident.

I can understand 100% why the dcd was surprised and prefers it be cut. Honestly I would be too. There is a list of foods I do NOT serve simply because they pose a choking hazard.

From the AAP website:
"Hot dogs are the food most commonly associated with fatal choking among children.12 A hot dog shares the physical characteristics described above for high-risk toys. It is cylindrical, airway sized, and compressible, which allows it to wedge tightly into a child's hypopharynx and completely occlude the airway. Other high-risk foods include hard candy, peanuts/nuts, seeds, whole grapes, raw carrots, apples, popcorn, chunks of peanut butter, marshmallows, chewing gum, and sausages. 12 Many of these foods, such as round candy, grapes, marshmallows, and meat sticks/sausages, share the same high-risk physical characteristics that create effective plugs for the pediatric airway. Similar to latex balloons, peanut butter can conform to the airway and form a tenacious seal that is difficult to dislodge or extract."

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...125/3/601.full
Luna 06:23 AM 02-05-2013
I cut up everyone's grapes. I cut a lot at once so I don't have to keep doing it throughout the meal. I keep any leftovers in a ziplock or a sealed bowl until the next day. No choking on my watch!
LK5kids 07:51 AM 02-05-2013
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I don't serve grapes at all. Or hot dogs. Just not worth the risk to me.

But my son is 6.5, my daughter 4 and I still cut there grapes and hot dogs. It takes me a minute and may prevent a tragic accident.

I can understand 100% why the dcd was surprised and prefers it be cut. Honestly I would be too. There is a list of foods I do NOT serve simply because they pose a choking hazard.

From the AAP website:
"Hot dogs are the food most commonly associated with fatal choking among children.12 A hot dog shares the physical characteristics described above for high-risk toys. It is cylindrical, airway sized, and compressible, which allows it to wedge tightly into a child's hypopharynx and completely occlude the airway. Other high-risk foods include hard candy, peanuts/nuts, seeds, whole grapes, raw carrots, apples, popcorn, chunks of peanut butter, marshmallows, chewing gum, and sausages. 12 Many of these foods, such as round candy, grapes, marshmallows, and meat sticks/sausages, share the same high-risk physical characteristics that create effective plugs for the pediatric airway. Similar to latex balloons, peanut butter can conform to the airway and form a tenacious seal that is difficult to dislodge or extract."

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...125/3/601.full

No, I don't serve hot dogs either!
daycarediva 08:19 AM 02-05-2013
Not worth the risk.
canadiancare 08:30 AM 02-05-2013
as an aside I also don't allow scarves here. The kids have to wear neck warmers instead because of strangulation issues while playing. I am an overly cautious person.
Meyou 08:46 AM 02-05-2013
Everyone should know what to do in case of choking. One of my dd's choked when she was 3 on pita bread. If I hadn't have known how to do the Heimlich she would have died. My dad panicked and ran for "help"...I still shudder to think what would have happened if I wasn't there.
saved4always 12:26 PM 02-05-2013
Our pediatrician warned us about hot dogs years ago when we had our fist child. I pretty much pulverize hot dogs for any kids because of things like that happening. Although (referring to my post above), I do let my 10 yo eat hot dogs whole...it is just the grapes that still make me paranoid with her.
My3cents 11:46 AM 02-05-2013
sometimes I do. Depends on how I am feeling that day or if the child is a choker type kid, or how big the grapes are. Some grapes are huge.
My3cents 11:57 AM 02-05-2013
I don't just cut them in half, I cut them again and if they are huge I will cut them again. I guess habit and from having to do this for the 2 and younger crowd, the 4's just get them sliced up too.

I will have to try the puree deal as something different. Sounds good. Right now grapes are very high priced so it is not something I buy often. If I do get them I buy them at wholesale place, Cosco, BJ's or Sam's club- They are better looking then what is in the grocery store.

I am big on if I think they can choke on something why chance it. Cutting something up is not that much work to do.
My3cents 09:53 AM 02-06-2013
someone should do a poll on this. I don't know how to do a poll or I would

1) Do you serve grapes whole
2) Do you cut them in half
3) Do you cut them in quarters or more
4) Do you not serve them at all

1) Do you cut them for all ages
2) Do you cut them for the two and under crowd and the easy chokers
Country Kids 09:58 AM 02-06-2013
Originally Posted by My3cents:
someone should do a poll on this. I don't know how to do a poll or I would

1) Do you serve grapes whole
2) Do you cut them in half
3) Do you cut them in quarters or more
4) Do you not serve them at all

1) Do you cut them for all ages
2) Do you cut them for the two and under crowd and the easy chokers

This is a good idea but I think the grape thread has beens squished to death.

I think its time to put it to bed and realize we are all different and we need to do whats BEST for our own situation.

It really saddens me that to see when someone asks a question, how many people get their panties in a bunch because people don't do it the way they do.

Remember we are all grown women, not the children that we take care of.
My3cents 10:39 AM 02-06-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
This is a good idea but I think the grape thread has beens squished to death.

I think its time to put it to bed and realize we are all different and we need to do whats BEST for our own situation.

It really saddens me that to see when someone asks a question, how many people get their panties in a bunch because people don't do it the way they do.

Remember we are all grown women, not the children that we take care of.
i
I don't care about the debate part of this. I am curious to know the results. Plus if this debate was not had I never would have got the idea for trying something new with my bunch, the grape puree. Hoping someone can do a poll.
Closed Thread Up