Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Parents: Some Questions For You
JenNJ 01:26 PM 09-06-2011
Feel free to post anonymously. Providers, please don't turn this into a debate topic. I really want some genuine feedback from parents on their experience and preferences. Thanks all!

1. What irritates you most about your provider (in-home) or center?

2. What do you like most about your provider (in-home) or center?

3. Did you pick your daycare based on gut feeling, references/reviews, accreditation, location, or budget? Other?

4. Do you prefer to chat each day with your child's caretaker at pick up and hear about how their day was or do you want your child ready to walk out the door and have little to no interaction with the caretaker?

5. Does your provider (in-home) or center provide diapers, wipes, food, drinks? Are these included or at an extra cost?

6. Do you pay for days your child does not attend care (sick days, holidays, your vacation, providers vacation)? Do you feel this is fair or unfair?

7. If your child attends an in-home daycare, do they provide preschool? Do you feel that it is equivalent to what they would learn at a center? If not, at what age will your child be attending preschool?

8. Do you feel that education or care is more important for your toddler (ages 1 - 3)?
Dahlia 04:06 PM 09-06-2011
I'll play. My little one (~20 months) just started a few weeks ago at a nearby church-operated daycare, going three days/week.

1. Nothing, so far. I guess if I were going to be picky, I'd say it would be nice if there was more fun stuff going on in the mornings when I drop DD off to maybe make the goodbyes a little easier. Currently, most of the kids are sitting at a table eating their breakfast leftovers (they don't serve breakfast, but most of the parents bring stuff anyway) and there aren't any toys out or anything to get her interested in. She did reach for the caregiver for the first time last week, though (and she has fun once I leave), so something seems to be going right (the teacher for her age group doesn't arrive until later, so she has a different caregiver for a little while when she arrives).

2. Hmm... I guess if I have to pick one thing it would be that the teacher seems to really like the kids and has a good time with them. She put "Itsy Bitsy Spider" on repeat last week because DD liked it so much. She says DD's favorite thing to do is to help her clean up. It sounds like they've "clicked", which makes me very happy.

3. All of the above, pretty much. We almost didn't consider the place we chose because of a bad recommendation, but it was just a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend who posted on Facebook that somebody put the wrong brand of diaper on a kid or something, and we had other good reviews to balance it out. "Gut feeling" was definitely a major factor. It helped that we knew some of the people that work there and that the director was nice and knowledgeable about all the stuff we asked about. Everyone we spoke with seemed interested in/excited about what they were doing and happy to be there.

4. I hate to interrupt too much if there are still things going on in the class, but I do like to chat a bit every so often and see how things are going, especially since we're still kinda new at this. It doesn't have to be exhaustive detail or anything, but it's nice to hear about how well she's adjusting and if the blanket we brought is okay and that kind of thing.

5. I bring diapers and wipes and the center supplies lunch and morning/afternoon snacks (which are included in the cost).

6. I think it's the same price every week regardless of holidays, sick days, etc. I'm not all that concerned about the particulars as long as I know how much to make out the check for, where to put it, and when it's supposed to be there. There's really no use haggling over holidays and such, because it all ends up more or less the same, whether you're paying a higher per-week cost with free holidays or a lower weekly cost that doesn't change -- six of one or half a dozen of the other. The latter is easier to keep up with, IMO.

7. I don't know if our center provides preschool or not, but I'm happy with the learning activities that she's doing so far. I think deciding on an in-home preschool vs. a center would depend on what exactly they were doing and whether or not I felt like the atmosphere, material, etc. was adequately preparing her for kindergarten.

8. Definitely care -- but education is a consideration also. Ideally, there would be excellent care and learning blended in in such a way that the kid didn't realize it wasn't playing. Think... what would Elmo do?
SandeeAR 04:33 PM 09-06-2011
Would you consider editing and adding a question? I would like to know if they pay for the "regular Holidays" that everyone takes off.

JenNJ 04:49 PM 09-06-2011
Thank you Dahlia!

Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Would you consider editing and adding a question? I would like to know if they pay for the "regular Holidays" that everyone takes off.
No. That would not be asking the question in an objective way.

Seriously -- can I get feedback from PARENTS? I posted over here to avoid this drama and I specifically asked in the OP to not turn this into a debate.
wdmmom 06:33 AM 09-07-2011
I am basing this off of my youngest daughter's experience at an in-home daycare. Hope this helps you.

Originally Posted by JenNJ:

Arrivals and departures were very fast. I felt like I was being rushed.

She was up and moving and ready for the day each and every day and never took a day off that wasn't scheduled.

3. Did you pick your daycare based on gut feeling, references/reviews, accreditation, location, or budget? Other?

Location, credentials and personal reference.

4. Do you prefer to chat each day with your child's caretaker at pick up and hear about how their day was or do you want your child ready to walk out the door and have little to no interaction with the caretaker?

If the daily routine is that in the same each day, I don't need to know anything new. If they did something out of the ordinary (went to the park, had a birthday party), I'd like to know about it. I don't need a full review of the day. Just if anything was out of the ordinary with my child, if he/she napped, pooped, etc.

5. Does your provider (in-home) or center provide diapers, wipes, food, drinks? Are these included or at an extra cost?

Food and drinks were provided. I'm sure it was built into the rate. We were required to provide diapers and wipes.

6. Do you pay for days your child does not attend care (sick days, holidays, your vacation, providers vacation)? Do you feel this is fair or unfair?

I paid a weekly rate regardless of attendance, holidays, etc. I don't find it to be unfair. If they were taking additional sick days or more than what was in their contract, yes, that would be unfair.

7. If your child attends an in-home daycare, do they provide preschool? Do you feel that it is equivalent to what they would learn at a center? If not, at what age will your child be attending preschool?

Yes, she did provide preschool. I'd say it was 80% of what they would learn at the center.

8. Do you feel that education or care is more important for your toddler (ages 1 - 3)?

Care

Unregistered 07:54 AM 09-07-2011
My son is 2 1/2 years and at an in-home day care...

-Lack of structure and adherence to her rules, but then she'll throw the rules in your face when the parents feel they can be more lax since she is. Also that she makes the room really dark so the kids think it's night time and lets them sleep as long as they will so she can do whatever she wants for the time being. It messes up my sons schedule and he won't go to sleep for me at night.

-I know she does really care about my son as if he was her family

-I picked mine on going off of all of the above. It was mostly gut feeling, but I also knew someone people that had used her, and it was in my budget and right around the corner from my house.

-Everyday I spend atleast 10 mins talking to her when I pick my son up (he usually doesn't want to leave). Occasionally I am there for over an hour talking to her and one of the other mothers who comes around the same time.

-She provides food/drinks which she is reimbursed through the state program she runs the daycare through (except when he was a baby, I provided the formula). I provide diapers and wipes.

-There is a flat rate per week that I pay whether my son is there or not. If I decide to keep him home for a whole week I have to pay half the weekly payment to keep his spot. I think this is for the most part fair.

-When he first started she had just opened maybe 6 months before, and she was providing learning time and my son and all the other children flourished. My son is very advanced still for his age and I do accredit her with alot of that. However, now she no longer has learning time and lets the kids have "free time" all day. I will be sending my son to preschool next september since he will be 3 by then.

8. Do you feel that education or care is more important for your toddler (ages 1 - 3)? -I think from 1-2 care is absolutely the most important. After the age of 2 I would feel education is starting to become more important.
Unregistered 08:54 AM 09-07-2011
We are on our second home daycare so my answers will reflect that.

At our first: unsolicited advice. Treating us almost as if her home was the real home and she was "letting" us take our child home. It's one of the reasons we no longer use this daycare.

Current daycare: openness, friendliness, caring—the home just has a warm atmosphere.

All of the above, though we were and are definitely willing to pay more for quality.

I like to hear about my child's day and ask questions. I don't like feeling rushed out the door. I want to know how she napped, ate, and slept, and how she behaved.

We provide diapers. Both providers we have used have been on the food program, so food has been provided at no extra cost. Parents take turns bringing wipes and ointment.

Yes, we pay for all of those. It's just the way that it is and I would never complain about it.

Yes, there is a preschool curriculum at our daycare. Our daughter is too young for it at this time, so I don't really know if we will enroll her in another preschool besides what she gets at daycare.

Definitely care, but I do think education is important as well.
JenNJ 10:30 AM 09-07-2011
Thank you all! I really enjoy reading these answers. It helps me to see what typical parents look for, what I can do to improve, and what expectations are. Keep the answers coming!!
Unregistered 10:36 AM 09-07-2011
I have a 5 yr old son that has attended center care since birth.

Snacks are only 1 small item and not enough to get him through the morning or afternoon and he to go without if they're serving something he doesn't like. Also, them interrogating my son at length every time he comes to daycare upset or with an ouwie he got at home, despite both my and my son's explanation to them (required in our state). It gets to be too much for my child, who will start to tell different stories because he feels like what he's telling them is wrong because they keep asking. I know because he's told me so and they get mad that he tells them different stories. In reality, he doesn't know 99% of the time how he got his owies - he's in so many sports, outdoor activities, and is so active that it goes unnoticed until bath time most of the time when he gets undressed and I bathe him.

Letting kids be kids and not making mountains out of molehills when the kids fight with each other. Also, they are consistent with discipline with each child - the discipline rules are crystal clear to everyone, including new kids. They don't single out kids.

References from local school district and from a friend. Also, my gut feeling played well into choosing this center.

Want child ready to walk out door with no interaction from provider (unless there's an incident to report), but that's NEVER happened - kid always wants to stay to play with friends.

Parents provide diapers & wipes & food, center provides drinks and snacks (included in rate).

I pay for sick days, holidays, providers vacation and anything over 5 days (taken as 1 full week, cannot be divided). I feel having to take the days all as 1 week isn't fair. I'd like to take mine seperately.

7. If your child attends an in-home daycare, do they provide preschool? Do you feel that it is equivalent to what they would learn at a center? If not, at what age will your child be attending preschool? n/a

8. Do you feel that education or care is more important for your toddler (ages 1 - 3)? n/a

Unregistered 10:58 AM 09-07-2011
I am the unregisted poster in #6...and I have to say how refreshing it is to read your post and that your actually asking for feedback and expectations from parents with no drama. It's a nice change from what I mostly see in this forum from providers. Thanks
Unregistered 12:01 PM 09-07-2011
Feel free to post anonymously. Providers, please don't turn this into a debate topic. I really want some genuine feedback from parents on their experience and preferences. Thanks all!

These are my answers based on when my daughter was in daycare.

1. What irritates you most about your provider (in-home) or center? I didn't like being bombarded with all of the reports of bad behavior without hearing anything positive. It's not that I didn't want to know what was going on...I just would have liked to have heard at least one good thing about her day.

2. What do you like most about your provider (in-home) or center? I didn't like daycare centers for her, so I will comment on her home daycare provider. I loved the smaller setting and I loved that she gave my daughter lots of affection but was not afraid to discipline her when she needed to without making my daughter feel bad.

3. Did you pick your daycare based on gut feeling, references/reviews, accreditation, location, or budget? Other? Gut feeling for the home daycare, convenience for the centers.

4. Do you prefer to chat each day with your child's caretaker at pick up and hear about how their day was or do you want your child ready to walk out the door and have little to no interaction with the caretaker? When I would pick up my daughter from daycare, I liked to talk to her provider about her day but I always made sure to respect her personal time so I kept it short.

5. Does your provider (in-home) or center provide diapers, wipes, food, drinks? Are these included or at an extra cost? Every daycare that my daughter went to required us to provide everything for her and to pay extra for her food except for the home daycare that she went to. She provided all food and snacks.

6. Do you pay for days your child does not attend care (sick days, holidays, your vacation, providers vacation)? Do you feel this is fair or unfair? Yes, we paid for all of those days. We never really thought too much about it because it was covered in the contract that we signed. It didn't always feel fair, but we didn't complain about it.

7. If your child attends an in-home daycare, do they provide preschool? Do you feel that it is equivalent to what they would learn at a center? If not, at what age will your child be attending preschool? My daughter went to centers that had preschool programs. Her home daycare didn't have a preschool program which worked out much better for her. DD's behavior improved a lot.

Back when my daughter was in daycare I would probably have said that education was more important. Now, I feel that care is more important along with working on social skills instead of kindergarten readiness education.
JenNJ 12:43 PM 09-07-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am the unregisted poster in #6...and I have to say how refreshing it is to read your post and that your actually asking for feedback and expectations from parents with no drama. It's a nice change from what I mostly see in this forum from providers. Thanks
Thank you for opening up!

I have what I consider to be pretty fair policies, but I wanted to see how fair it felt to the other side. For example: parents here pay for sick days and federal holidays. They do not pay for any days I miss (vacation or sick). I give each family vacation time equal to the number of days a week they are here (full time gets 5 days, etc.) I allow them to use this towards sick days, snow days, etc. It doesn't have to all be taken at once. I feel like it is a good compromise, but sometimes I wonder if they feel slighted or if it is too generous.
Unregistered 11:34 PM 09-07-2011
I have 4 children who have all been in daycare at some point in their lives, but will base most of my answers on my youngest's most recent daycare center experience, which he attended for a year from ages 1.5-2.5:

1. I had very few complaints, can't think of anything major or anything that was not corrected immediately once I mentioned my concern.

2. My son's teachers truly seemed to love him. They were always happy to see him, greeted him with enthusiasm, made a big deal when he had a new haircut or new Buzz Lightyear shoes, etc. When I arrived to pick him up they were often excited to tell me about his day and whatever cute thing he had said or done that day. As a mother who absolutely hated having to leave my child and be away from him all day, this made all the difference to me, to feel like I was leaving my son with people who truly loved and cared about him.

3. I toured a few centers in the area and I chose this one for cleanliness, reputation, and location, but mostly gut feeling.

4. I loved hearing how my son's day was, when they would tell me things it was like music to my ears. I'm not one to ask a lot of questions and I'm definetely not chatty, but loved to hear the few things they would tell me each day.

5. They provided all food and drinks, I provided diapers and wipes.

6. I did pay for days he didn't attend, including sick days holidays and vacations, although they did have a 1 week annual vacation allowance per child that had to be taken consecutively. Do I think this is fair? It's a tough one, I can see both sides. If I myself got the holiday off with pay, I absolutely think my daycare provider should get the day off with pay. But this has never been the case with me. When my oldest son (now 16 years old) was a toddler, I was in nursing school full time and working as a server in a restaurant that was only closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. I had to work most every holiday and having to pay my regular provider and still find and pay someone else to watch him for the holiday was an incredible hardship in those days, and back then I didn't think it was fair at all. Nowadays I am a nurse and still have to work most every holiday, and still have to pay the regular provider and also pay someone else to actually provide the care, although now at least I get "time and a half" for that day and it's not such a financial hardship. Like I said, I can see both sides.

7. My son was in a center with a preschool program.

8. Care is more important, absolutely. Not only for ages 1-3, but all the way until the start of kindergarten.
godiva83 04:42 AM 09-08-2011
OP, thanks for this thread
And parents thank you for your responses, I have really enjoyed reading your feedback- and looking at the comparisons to HDC and centers.

OP- I know you aren't editing so maybe I should post my own thread- but curious if we could include
"What is the one thing you wish you could change about your daycare!"
Ex. Hours of operation
Programing
Menu
Ect

Cheers,
G
Unregistered 11:14 AM 09-08-2011
I don't get upset about it, but she's not a morning person so drop offs can be abrupt. I don't blame her for it though, so I don't know if I'd say it irritated me. Sometimes I wish I heard a little more specifics on what they do each day (go to park, play outside), and it would be nice if she told us what the kids ate each day or gave out a menu plan. I don't stress over it though.

2. What do you like most about your provider (in-home) or center? She genuinely cares for my daughter, treats her as her own, and tells me each day how good she was and how much she loves having her there.

3. Did you pick your daycare based on gut feeling, references/reviews, accreditation, location, or budget? Other? 1 - review from a friend's child who goes there, 2 - budget (I know you can't put a price on your child's care, but no matter how much I love her I can't afford some places), 3 - location, it's between work and home, but closer to home.

I like a quick chat, especially if she's not feeling well or nap didn't go well, something like that. We chat for 2-3 minutes usually while DDs shoes get put on then she bangs on the door saying "bye bye" (she's 15 months and that is her favorite word and she loves being outside).

diapers I provide. I used to bring wipes but she recently said she'd start buying them since she uses them for everything. Food and drinks she provides.

yes, I do. I think only holidays were in her contract and vacations and sick days haven't come up yet. I really never gave things like holidays a thought either way until I started researching daycare stuff and saw all the drama on it (like here). It makes sense I get paid so she gets paid so I have no problem doing that.

I think she tries preschool activities but my DD is too young for that to matter yet.

Definitely care, but by age 2-3 I'd want some educational aspects integrated into her day as well.
Unregistered 11:34 AM 09-08-2011

Hmm..I can't really think of anything...she did look at me a bit judgy one morning when I dropped him off and he had crumbs on his face (he found an animal cracker in the car...)..I called it a cookie..she looked judgy!

She genuinely cares for the kids--she is very structured, and follows through on discipline (time outs). She has older kids, and I see how well behaved her own kids are.

Gut feeling--it was clean, close, and small.

She is so busy, I read the little sheet she fills out. We talk for a minute if there are any issues..biting, scratching, etc.

5. Does your provider (in-home) or center provide diapers, wipes, food, drinks?

We bring diapers, everything else is provided no extra cost.

Our vacation days are 1/2 pay--provider vacation is full pay. Holidays and sick days are paid. I feel it's fair, for what we pay per month.

My son is 21 months--the youngest there. She follows a preschool program, which I think is adequate.

Both--she provides both, and I am very happy where he's at. I am looking at the possibility of becoming a stay at home mom, and I'm nervous, but am looking at homeschooling when he hits preschool age.
SandeeAR 12:13 PM 09-08-2011
Thank you Dahlia!

No. That would not be asking the question in an objective way.

Seriously -- can I get feedback from PARENTS? I posted over here to avoid this drama and I specifically asked in the OP to not turn this into a debate.
Sorry, my question did not meet your "way of asking a question". It was not meant to be a debate. It was an Honest question, that I wanted Parents Honest answer about. I didn't realize asking for a question to be added would be considered drama.

Sorry to have bothered you. I will refain from posting on any further threads of yours.
Unregistered 06:36 PM 09-08-2011

Honestly, it's the high cost. My two kids go to a center and we pay almost $2000. The last time we got a notice of increase it was for $100 a month per child and I nearly hit the roof! I also don't like it when the workers (probably inadvertantly but still) make me feel bad for working long hours (It has been such a long day for him/her). The longest my child has ever been there is 8:15-5pm and that has only been a few times....less than average I'd bet!

I know that they are completely safe and happy and that they are learning a lot. Love the fact that all food and diapers are provided etc and that my kids love going there (that is HUGE)

I'd say 80% gut feeling and 20% curriculum.

I would prefer to hear about their day, but honestly I would like to hear positive things..I start getting stressed if there are negative things a lot (this happened a couple of years ago once...ugh).

Yes - all is included.

We pay for a spot monthly whether we're there or not, but the centre is open 7-6pm almost every day. I love that bc we don't have back up care. I would be ticked paying for a provider's holiday to be honest....we turned down home care before and it was far less expensive for this reason - we didn't have to pay for her holdiay, but it was 5 weeks per year and we only get 3 off ourselves.

N/A

Care is absolutely foremost at any age IMO, but at age 3 I want them to start learning letters etc...
Unregistered 07:35 AM 09-09-2011

Honestly, it's the high cost. My two kids go to a center and we pay almost $2000. The last time we got a notice of increase it was for $100 a month per child and I nearly hit the roof! I also don't like it when the workers (probably inadvertantly but still) make me feel bad for working long hours (It has been such a long day for him/her). The longest my child has ever been there is 8:15-5pm and that has only been a few times....less than average I'd bet!

I know that they are completely safe and happy and that they are learning a lot. Love the fact that all food and diapers are provided etc and that my kids love going there (that is HUGE)

I'd say 80% gut feeling and 20% curriculum.

I would prefer to hear about their day, but honestly I would like to hear positive things..I start getting stressed if there are negative things a lot (this happened a couple of years ago once...ugh).

Yes - all is included.

We pay for a spot monthly whether we're there or not, but the centre is open 7-6pm almost every day. I love that bc we don't have back up care. I would be ticked paying for a provider's holiday to be honest....we turned down home care before and it was far less expensive for this reason - we didn't have to pay for her holdiay, but it was 5 weeks per year and we only get 3 off ourselves.

N/A

Care is absolutely foremost at any age IMO, but at age 3 I want them to start learning letters etc...

The main thing is you are happy with your choice. I find it interesting though, that you would be paying apx. half with a home daycare per month yet the few paid holidays was the deal breaker....And for two children I am aghast...the cost is VERY expensive even for a center.
Unregistered 02:57 PM 09-09-2011
The main thing is you are happy with your choice. I find it interesting though, that you would be paying apx. half with a home daycare per month yet the few paid holidays was the deal breaker....And for two children I am aghast...the cost is VERY expensive even for a center.
I'm not the one who made that post, but it makes sense to me (though I do agree that the cost is very high). It's a convenience issue. As a parent working full-time, to have to find alternate care for five weeks a year is really unappealing. It's especially unappealing if the provider gets more vacation time than you do. At a center, the only times they're going to be closed will be the holidays that most of us get off of work anyway (Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.). You don't have to worry about finding an alternate caregiver at the last minute if your daycare provider or the provider's child is sick. Personally, I'd rather pay a bit more each week than have to pay for a full week of not receiving care while my provider is on vacation. There's just something about paying for a service you're not receiving that rubs me (and obviously others) the wrong way—especially if you would have to pay double for that week for an alternate provider (I personally am able to use family as a free backup, which I am very grateful for, but I'm sure there are those who do not have that option and it could be a real hardship for some families). That said, I don't think it's worth complaining to my provider about. It was not a deal-breaker for me.
Unregistered 11:27 AM 09-14-2011
When I had my child in daycare, I got irritated, that i never got to know what he ate or did during the day, I didn't even know if they did storytime, think the TV was on to much, I hated the "first time mom attitiude" I always seemed to get when I wanted to know what he ate or anything, most days he came home with a very full diaper.

She really did love my son, and he loved her

I knew her personally.

I wanted to hear about his day, what he did, what he ate, but I never got any of that.

I provided diapers, she provided everything else.

I never questioned or thought it odd to pay for holidays or vacation days, I paid a weekely rate every week, and that was fine with me, although of course it would have been great to get those days at no cost, but I would never expect that.

There was no preschool, if he were still there I would have started preschool at 4.

Care should always come first to that age group or any for that matter, but I dont think care has to suffer to provide some education.
Mommy2One 12:00 PM 09-26-2011
I'm going to answer this about the provider that we had the longest. She watched a few kids part time (with varying schedules) in her home. Our daughter was there from 14 months until 23 months. She provided care for our little one 3 days/week from 7:30 until 5:00.

She didn't volunteer as much information as I'd like. "Hey that person sleeping on my couch is my 12 year old nephew who's spending the day here." "Today for lunch the kids had..." It was probably my fault in large part for being too shy to ask a bunch of questions. She was great about communicating about more important things. She also quit with just a couple days warning due to a family emergency. At first I was very upset about that but I've since gotten over it, so to speak, as I don't think she had another option and I truly think it was without warning for her as well.

She had a lot of the same parenting values that we had. She was naturally professional and organized. She was flexible and understanding and very reliable. Her home was inviting with plenty of sunshine and space to play and sleep. And, of course, she seemed to like my daughter and my daughter seemed to like her.

Budget and location were constraints we worked within but otherwise they weren't a factor. It was mostly gut feeling, which was based on the provider's interaction with us, interaction with our daughter, whether her home (especially her children's bedrooms) showed love and care for her family, her own children's behavior (did they seem age appropriately polite and well adjusted), her responses to our questions and general alignment with our values. One other thing I liked, but didn't realize it until we had another caretaker, is that she always collected my daughter from the playroom and carried her to the door at pick up time, which made the transition much easier for all of us.

Ideally I'd like my daughter to be ready (we always had a bag and sippy cups and shoes and stuff to collect) and I'd like a quick run down of the day: what the kids ate (to avoid duplicates at home), status of any ongoing issues (constipation, weaning, potty training, etc.), notification of any problems or upcoming special events/changes. It's usually a bit chaotic at pick up time with the other kids vying for attention and I usually still have errands to run or dinner to cook so making extended small talk every day wouldn't be my preference but it's not something I'd think less of the provider for either.

I provided diapers and wipes. I also provided 2 snacks and her juice and milk. This was voluntary because I wanted her to have 100% juice, whole milk and healthy snacks like fruit and yogurt which the sitter may not have been budgeting for and may not have had another reason to have on hand. She provided lunch, water and sometimes extra snacks. If a provider was preparing meals and snacks like some of the ones I've seen on here then with lots of lean meats, whole grains, fruits and veggies it'd be more convenient to let her handle all the food/drinks. I'd be willing to pay extra for it (or just a higher base fee with the cost already figured in).

If I chose to keep my daughter home I still paid - fair. The provider also had about 6 holidays/year that she wanted to have off paid - fair. If she wasn't available then she pro-rated the week - her decision. I wouldn't mind if the provider had a few paid days off (personal/sick/vacation) each year, especially with advanced notice because we can use a vacation/sick day and still get paid myself and the cost is already in our budget. It would be difficult for us to accommodate extended or frequent paid time off - we would have to find and pay for alternate care, enlist relatives and/or use up all our vacation time (it's nice to to have a few days that we can take off for our own special days/activities). For the right provider with enough notice we would probably try to work something out, even if it meant saving $10/wk for a few months to be able to make double payments during her vacation. It would definitely be helpful if the provider could recommend someone for alternate care during their time off (if it was going to be 2-3 weeks) and give the alternate a heads up that the provider's clients might be coming to her for temporary care.

No, our provider didn't offer preschool and sent her own son out of the home for preschool. As my daughter gets closer to that age we will evaluate our care situation and her needs and make a decision then. I'd always assumed we'd send her to preschool at 4 years old because (in my mind) that's what everybody does. I think I'd be looking for the school-like atmosphere more than the skills (which we can teach her at home) so she's not shocked by a 7 hr rigidly structured day on her first day of kindy.

Definitely care - nutrition, safety, and a good afternoon nap are important. I don't want my daughter (26 months) doing any kind of forced learning (flashcards, worksheets) but at this age education is easy to fit into playtime. At home we discuss the color and shapes of her toys. We count pictures in books or as we stack blocks. We've made "vegetable stew" and "fruit salad" with her toy food and discussed which are healthy choices and which are "treats." We read books and sing songs and I try to give her opportunities to use a variety of art supplies like crayons, markers, pencils, paint, glue sticks, and recently scissors. I would think that kind of education would be fairly easy to fit into a daycare day too, even if it's in relatively limited quantities and a group fashion.
Unregistered 01:24 PM 09-27-2011

I don't know that I am really irritated about anything. Sometimes she seems really stressed and that concerns me a bit but I haven't been irritated with her.

She loves my kids, really loves them. Her house is very clean and they have real set routines and my DD's thrive there.

Gut feeling and location. Most daycares in my area that are not centers are around the same cost so that didn't come into play as much but I just liked her right away when I met her.

I want to chat. I usually stay 10mins or so chatting about things, not necessarily my kid.

We provide diapers, wipes and breast milk (not that she could do that anyways!)

We pay a flat weekly fee no matter how many days she is open. I do think it is fair and I willingly pay it because I love her and she takes great care of my girls!

We have a unique situation in that 2 days per week a preschool teacher comes to our daycare and teaches for an hour each day.

Care. I just want her to be loved and taken care of and I will work on letters and numbers at home.
dave4him 07:45 PM 10-12-2011
Going to base this off the daycare my oldest was going to before we pulled her out at 3 1/2.... My niece goes there now and its only gotten worse

1. What irritates you most about your provider (in-home) or center? Lack of communication.

2. What do you like most about your provider (in-home) or center? Friendly staff.

3. Did you pick your daycare based on gut feeling, references/reviews, accreditation, location, or budget? Other? My other niece had gone there and location.

4. Do you prefer to chat each day with your child's caretaker at pick up and hear about how their day was or do you want your child ready to walk out the door and have little to no interaction with the caretaker? I like to get them and maybe get a short 3 sentence sum of the day.

5. Does your provider (in-home) or center provide diapers, wipes, food, drinks? Are these included or at an extra cost? We always had to bring our own diapers and wipes thats all.

6. Do you pay for days your child does not attend care (sick days, holidays, your vacation, providers vacation)? Do you feel this is fair or unfair? Yes it was unfair. hmmmmmmmmm maybe i need to think that one over.

7. If your child attends an in-home daycare, do they provide preschool? Do you feel that it is equivalent to what they would learn at a center? If not, at what age will your child be attending preschool? Actually she did learn a lot there which makes me hold my own standards higher for my stay at home kids now.

8. Do you feel that education or care is more important for your toddler (ages 1 - 3)? Very important
Unregistered 09:54 PM 10-12-2011
We have been through 3 centers so far... I just wasn't satisfied with the first two as my answers will reflect these two centers

1st center- my child was bitten 11 times. Teacher and director blamed my child. Now I learned this is same thing is happening to other children since we left. Turn over of staff.
2nd center- lady was nice enough but very unorganized, would do personal business while children would run around and play. not consistent with schedule or discipline. Not healthy snacks provided. We decided after seeing what she provided that we would provide our own.
current center- nothing really irritating but here is what I wish she would change: Hours. She is open at 7:45 to 5:15. I occasionally need a bit later and wish she was open from 7:30-5:30. She writes up daily when they nap and how often they have a diaper change. I wish she would include what they ate for snack and what they did that day.

1st center- they provided organic lunches, curricullum based.
current center-Very caring, consistent with discipline as needed. Lots of fun activities. always singing and dancing. Set routines. Great outside play area. Very clean and organized. My child loves it there!

I did research on different centers. We got on wait lists early, (when I was pregnant) because the daycare situation here is very slim. I also talked to several parents about where they send their child. The current day care took drop in days and our day care at the time was closed for the day and so that is really how we got to really know them. When things went down hill with our first situation we had our little one on that wait list.

I really like to chat with the daycare provider. I really want to know how his day has gone.

We provide diapers, wipes. They provide some food (snacks). Parents also provide snacks. We provide lunch.

we pay for all days. No I don't think this is fair. I think the parents should get a break with some vacation days just like the provider takes vacation days. Our first center did give 3 vacation days and holidays but then took this away when they became financially unstable.

My child will attend preschool at age 3

Care.
Unregistered 09:56 AM 10-13-2011
I'm not the one who made that post, but it makes sense to me (though I do agree that the cost is very high). It's a convenience issue. As a parent working full-time, to have to find alternate care for five weeks a year is really unappealing. It's especially unappealing if the provider gets more vacation time than you do. At a center, the only times they're going to be closed will be the holidays that most of us get off of work anyway (Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.). You don't have to worry about finding an alternate caregiver at the last minute if your daycare provider or the provider's child is sick. Personally, I'd rather pay a bit more each week than have to pay for a full week of not receiving care while my provider is on vacation. There's just something about paying for a service you're not receiving that rubs me (and obviously others) the wrong way—especially if you would have to pay double for that week for an alternate provider (I personally am able to use family as a free backup, which I am very grateful for, but I'm sure there are those who do not have that option and it could be a real hardship for some families). That said, I don't think it's worth complaining to my provider about. It was not a deal-breaker for me.

I took my daughter to a home daycare when she was younger, and had no problem paying for holidays because I was paying much less overall. In the center she was in prior, they only looked at her as a number, and we wanted her to be in a home environment. As for parents complaining about paid holidays, I am aghast. This is the person watching your child, so we were happy to show her a lot of appreciation. Paid holidays, gift cards at Christmas, brought snacks, ect because she took care of our most prized possession.

For backup, I had a current deposit at a center, and was able to do drop-ins so it all worked out. As for one parent wondering why the nephew was sleeping on their sitters couch, it really wouldn't be their business. When you choose a home, I would assume the other members of the home have people visiting; friends and family, even a neighbor. As a parent my only concern was my child was well cared for.

As for communication, there was plenty and it was common sense to me not to monopolize her time. It was obvious her attention needed to be on the other children, and since this was her home I usually didn't venture out of the foyer unless invited to do so. Pretty much kept it short, got the basics and could see my child was happy, and she would always tell me about her day as well.

I cannot fanthom being jealous of my sitter getting more vacation time than me. Why I think centers accomodate certain types of people who merely view them as paid staff, or leave them long hours. We liked the low ratio of children, and the one on one attention. Though when my child went to a center I also treated her caregivers just as well. We never forgot them at Christmas, and knew it was a hard job that we respected.
Unregistered 07:53 AM 06-21-2012
This is an old post but as a newbie and parent I've found the responses helpful so thought I would chime in. I have an 11-month-old little boy in center-based care.

1. What irritates you most about your provider (in-home) or center? Sometimes I feel like I'm being pressured to do things like get him off a bottle, push more table foods, etc. If it were totally up to me I would let him do those things as he's ready. However, I do understand that in a group environment they can only "customize" things so much. Also, as a first-time mom I do appreciate the input and advice very much.

2. What do you like most about your provider (in-home) or center? The providers genuinely seem to love and care about my son. Most of them have been there for a long time and he always seems happy when I pick him up each day.

3. Did you pick your daycare based on gut feeling, references/reviews, accreditation, location, or budget? Other? We initially looked at the center because of both a reference from a trusted friend and the fact that it was convenient to home. We placed him there after we visited and both my husband and I felt very comfortable with the center and providers. Even with the reference, if we hadn't felt comfortable there we would have kept looking.

4. Do you prefer to chat each day with your child's caretaker at pick up and hear about how their day was or do you want your child ready to walk out the door and have little to no interaction with the caretaker? Please, please take the time to chat with me if you can! My son spends so much time with his caregivers that I want to know about his day and how he is doing. I'm a first-time mom and if there are suggestions or concerns about him, I appreciate the advice and support of these ladies who have more experience than I do.

Also, if he's been fussy or had a rough day, please be honest and tell me! I love hearing he's had a great day, but not if it isn't true. I don't take it as complaining; as a mom, I feel I have a need to know so I can put him to bed early, give him extra cuddles, keep an extra-close eye on him, etc.

5. Does your provider (in-home) or center provide diapers, wipes, food, drinks? Are these included or at an extra cost? Once he is on table food, the center provides food and drinks. For now, we bring our own wipes, diapers, and bottles as well as purees and other baby-type snacks since they're all eating different things.

6. Do you pay for days your child does not attend care (sick days, holidays, your vacation, providers vacation)? Do you feel this is fair or unfair? We pay a weekly rate, no matter how much he attends. I have no problem with this at all. I'm paying not only for his care, but also to keep a spot for him. It isn't fair of me to expect any provider, home-based or center, to save a spot that could be used for another child but not pay for it. That said, if he's out for a vacation week we pay half a week's rate. There have also been a couple of times that he was out sick for most of a week and they only charged us for half a week. It was a nice surprise.

7. If your child attends an in-home daycare, do they provide preschool? Do you feel that it is equivalent to what they would learn at a center? If not, at what age will your child be attending preschool? N/A

8. Do you feel that education or care is more important for your toddler (ages 1 - 3)? This is a hard one, but overall I feel care is most important. I want my son to be in a place where he feels loved and can trust the people he is with. I'd like him to be learning as much as he can, but if I had to choose I would prioritize care.
Tags:daycare questions, in home daycare
Reply Up