Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just a theory buy opinions welcome
Sunchimes 05:41 PM 04-24-2012
(That should be "but" opinions welcome. I posted the other day about my 20 mo old dcg that fights naps. She doesn't just fight, she kicks and screams, sometimes as long as an hour. I've been writing them off as tantrums, but something just didn't feel right.

Most days, she wakes up after an hour or so screaming, but by the time I get to her, she is asleep again. I've learned to just sit quietly to make sure she goes back to sleep.

Today, I heard her scream and went to check her. This time, she was off her mat and across the room cowering in the corner, screaming. I turned on the light and talked to her until she let me pick her up (just a few seconds). I sat down in the rocking chair and she started kicking and screaming, just the way she does when I put her on her mat. I put her down, but she wouldn't let go of me. It took almost 10 minutes to calm her down, and finally, she got back on her mat and went right to sleep.

I talked to mom and she said she had night terrors pretty often. Sometimes, she cries for an hour before they can calm her down.

Now I'm wondering if she fights naps so violently because she is afraid to sleep. Maybe she can't articulate the fear, but it seems like it might be an explanation. Doesn't help much with dealing with it, but at least it's an explanation.

Do you think this could be it?
DaisyMamma 05:47 PM 04-24-2012
Halfway through reading this I thought "sounds like she's afraid to sleep"
Finding out why is going to be hard. Then figuring out how to help...sounds like a lot to deal with.
Sunchimes 06:13 PM 04-24-2012
It's so odd. She's always been such a happy baby--she is now--laughs all the time. I'm going to do some reading on the subject and see if I can find something applicable.
Reply Up