Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Insurance Help
squareone 12:53 PM 05-17-2011
Has anyone ever had to file a claim for an auto accident involving daycare kids? What was your experience?

I am comparing two daycare insurance policies. Even after speaking to a rep, I am still not crystal clear on a couple of things.

Transportation coverage: Is it my understanding that this will only cover the kids medical expenses and only if I am the one driving them in a car that I own. Is this right?

Non-owned auto coverage: covers the kids medical expenses if they are hurt while being transported in a vehicle that is driven by and owned by someone else?

If I have transportation coverage through a daycare policy, do I still need a separate commercial auto policy????
Michael 12:56 PM 05-17-2011
You should call your insurance agent since policies and state requirements vary.
squareone 02:30 PM 05-17-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
You should call your insurance agent since policies and state requirements vary.
I was trying to avoid having to do that for fear of getting dropped if they find out that I have a home daycare. I have heard of this happening so I am trying to make sure I have a back-up plan before I even ask my own agent about adding daycare coverage.
Mike Lassiter 06:44 PM 05-17-2011
Your agent needs to explain the coverage to you till you understand it. I can see situations where you could be sole caregiver using your personal vehicle to transport children, or someone working for you doing it, and still again, someone "helping you" that is not an employee. Each situation could change what the policy they are offering you would cover.

As a business endeavor, I can't see the difference in you or an employee driving a business vehicle. Now if you are using a personal vehicle for business should be the same difference, however you do not want to be using your personal vehicle for business and NOT discuss with your insurance company. They can (and likely will cancel you) if something happens and you are using your personal vehicle for business purposes without their knowledge. You have to see if from their point. You get personal coverage based on the vehicle and the amount of anticipated miles you drive for a estimated amount of risk of a claim. If you start busing more people and driving more the risk to the insurance company is greater and they want more for their risk.
Tags:insurance claim, transportation
Reply Up