Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Taking Toys
FCCLife 10:21 AM 11-16-2015
I have a dcg whom is 4yo. I have been watching her full time for a year and a half. In the last few months she has been hiding and taking small toys home. Her parents always have her bring them back and honestly the things she takes I don't even realize they are missing but I'm really getting concerned about this behavior. She also sneaks toys into daycare from home so her parents don't know. She has always been a toy gatherer. She has always grabbed toys and kept them away from other kids never really playing with them just keeps them. We have outgrown that for the most part but she still gets really possessive over things and HAS to have things. She has to bring toys everywhere we go knowing she will either lose them or not even play with them. My 5yo dd likes to bring out some of her special non daycare toys to play with dcg sometimes because they love playing together but as soon as dd brings something down dcg is in her business asking what she can have and telling her she has to share. Is this normal? Any advice would be great. Thanks
laundrymom 12:29 PM 11-16-2015
I've had a couple kids over the years do this. I just check pockets at arrival and departure. It's embarrassing to the kids when they are caught but I'm sorry, they shouldn't take things. Nor will I be liable for things they bring "to" daycare. I had a child bring a can of beer once.
Tucked it right in his backpack. Said it was for his dad so he did t have to stop on the way home that afternoon. THAT was an interesting pick up. That's for sure.
Michael 03:32 PM 11-16-2015
More threads on Stealing Toys: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...=stealing+toys
Josiegirl 03:42 PM 11-16-2015
I have no advice but when my dd was 4 and in preschool a couple mornings a week, I'd find random things in her backpack. I called her teacher and asked her about them, she said not to worry, a lot of the kids do that and to just bring them back in. I don't know if that was true or not but I wasn't going to treat it lightly. I talked with my dd about it and always checked her backpack thoroughly after that.
Then one day she and I went to the local bookstore, I was looking for a gift and she was checking out all these little farm animals. She asked if she could have some, I said no and we went on our way. After we got home I happened to walk through her room and noticed a pile of these tiny plastic pigs on her bed. You can bet I marched her right back down to the store and made her tell the owner what she had done. The lady was very nice but told her you don't take things that don't belong to you. I think she 'got it' hearing it from somebody other than mom.

The only thing I'd be a little hesitant about is your dd sharing anything special with dcg. Dcg may get angry and break something or sneak something out. I'm not saying she would but just hope your dd is cautious and aware.
Tags:stealing toys
Reply Up