Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Feel Like A Super Hero (Or A Crazy Person) When ...
Controlled Chaos 12:12 PM 11-19-2015
when I juggle 3 dcbs first day in undies (what are the odds???), a barfing 3yo, and a 12m old having his first day on a cot and sleeping in the same room as the big kids. AND a preschool lesson was taught this morning (pre barfing) on native american culture. I ROCK TODAY.

Tell me about how you rocked it recently!
Michael 01:25 PM 11-19-2015
Ok. I was set to travel with my mother to Italy in September. Had three weeks planned but when I arrived in Florida I realized my mother was having problems. She is 82 and she was not handling her environment well. She mostly stated she was overwhelmed. Mostly she saw our old family property as something that was a huge burden. I decided to cancel the trip and tend to her and the previous family house.

My father died in 2003 (he and my mother were traveling in Italy when he died there). The family home was no longer suitable for my mother, it was shuddered up and locked for 13 years. We moved mom near the beach, where she is safer and she can take walks on the beach every morning.

Our old family house was left in the same condition all that time. My brother and I could never seem to find the time to get through all the memories and remodel the house. That would have taken all of our vacation time when we would take with our families to Florida. We just could never make the time.

I used those three weeks this September that was for the Italy trip, to organize the contents of the house, box them, give most to charity and move the things we wanted to an air conditioned storage space. It was a huge undertaking. Once the house was cleared out, I painted and power sprayed the outside. The place looked like new and I actually felt that I had finally gotten the property to where we had always wanted. The silver lining was that, now that it had its light and energy back, we were going to sell it at the perfect time being that it is the start if the winter season in south Florida.

Working on it 12 hours a day for three weeks was somewhat medicinal for me clear, to clear a lot of the burden for my mother and myself that had lasted all those years. My mother is back to her old happy self. I feel I gained much more by taking care of the matters at hand. So yeah, I definitely ROCKED it.
Controlled Chaos 02:16 PM 11-19-2015
I bet that felt incredible to complete such a project. You do rock
Josiegirl 02:38 AM 11-20-2015
Both of you rocked it!!
CC, I think I would have thrown in the towel by breakfast time. We all have 'those' days once in awhile but as I've gotten older, I don't handle them as well as I used to.

Michael, Cleaning out all those memories is one of the hardest things to do. When my sister and I cleaned out our parents' house we found soooo much junk, my dad saved everything, we're talking blue shag carpeting from 1981....just in case. Plus we came across many many things in their attic that I wished we had known about so we could have asked questions when we could. Your mom is very lucky to have you.

This week, I figure if everybody made it through the day still breathing, I rocked.
midaycare 07:10 AM 11-20-2015
I said no to the crazy this week, finally putting my mother in her place. I have an extremely difficult family, and unfortunately one that is not filled with love, but instead, fear, anger, and a whole lot of mean. As far as family really goes, I'm on my own.

I stopped tolerating this from my father and sister a long time ago, but always gave my mother a pass. I caught her in some really bad behavior the past two weeks, called her out on it, set a great example for my son while not saying anything negative about his grandmother that he loves, and I never raised my voice or used a word of anger.
Controlled Chaos 10:09 AM 11-20-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I said no to the crazy this week, finally putting my mother in her place. I have an extremely difficult family, and unfortunately one that is not filled with love, but instead, fear, anger, and a whole lot of mean. As far as family really goes, I'm on my own.

I stopped tolerating this from my father and sister a long time ago, but always gave my mother a pass. I caught her in some really bad behavior the past two weeks, called her out on it, set a great example for my son while not saying anything negative about his grandmother that he loves, and I never raised my voice or used a word of anger.

KIDZRMYBIZ 10:18 AM 11-20-2015
...when I was able to continue with my group of 8 (3 babies, 1 toddler, 3 3yos, and a 5yo) when the power was out for an hour as though nothing had happened! I pulled out some glow sticks and flashlights and pretended as though it was all part of the plan.
laundrymom 10:39 AM 11-20-2015
You guys rocked it!!!
I am sludging.
We bought our dream home in July, completely remodeled it in the time since and are moving this weekend.
We committed to going to Disney w kids school in December. Still owe a bit on the trip and Yesterday hubs was laid off.
Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas. Huh?
Annalee 10:58 AM 11-20-2015
I really like Michael's "rocked it" story ....I guess my most recent story of where I "think" I or we rocked it would be when my brother, his wife and three kids lived with my family....in our basement....for 8 LONNNGGGGGG months ....DEc. 1, 2014 thru July 4, 2015 while they renovated their house .....we live side by side and we are still talking to each other.... Amazing how you can make it work but it sure had some testy moments....especially between my hubby and sisinlaw... I would tell my hubby if I had to be away from the house "please do not do anything that will make you have to call me from jail while I am gone".. We are very close but "living together" is not something I would want to do permanently.
Mad_Pistachio 11:45 AM 11-20-2015
When my daughter counted to 20 in English and next day, to 10 in Russian, I thought she was taught by some kind of a superhero, that's for sure. turned out, the superheroes were her teacher (English part) and the preschool director (Russian part). I know I did NOT teach her to count, so it was all their doing.
you don't have to juggle everything but your kitchen sink to be a superhero in someone else's eyes. counting to 20 may be enough
mommyneedsadayoff 11:57 AM 11-20-2015
Between my husband and I, we have 4 jobs and two kids. We alternate our night jobs so one of us is home with the kids. My dad lives on a farm about 45 minutes away from us, but we make sure to go out every weekend and hang out with him. He is the leftover king, so whatever we make during the week that is left over, goes to him and we stop and buy him groceries on our way. We have a limited income and a busy work schedule, but we make time for my dad and always will. My mom died and I will never again let myself be content in just having a parent here, versus BEING WITH my parent who is here. I don't know if it counts as "rocking it", but I feel really good about the quality and quantity time my kids and I get to spend with my dad
midaycare 06:49 PM 11-20-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
Between my husband and I, we have 4 jobs and two kids. We alternate our night jobs so one of us is home with the kids. My dad lives on a farm about 45 minutes away from us, but we make sure to go out every weekend and hang out with him. He is the leftover king, so whatever we make during the week that is left over, goes to him and we stop and buy him groceries on our way. We have a limited income and a busy work schedule, but we make time for my dad and always will. My mom died and I will never again let myself be content in just having a parent here, versus BEING WITH my parent who is here. I don't know if it counts as "rocking it", but I feel really good about the quality and quantity time my kids and I get to spend with my dad
This is beautiful.
Tags:achievement
Reply Up