Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Age Does Mouthing Everything Become Inappropriate?
NillaWafers 09:21 AM 11-20-2015
I have my one DCG who is 2.5 (will be 3 in May). This is the same girl I was forced to put in a separate room to nap and basically sobs herself to sleep everyday.

Anyhow, she is constantly putting everything in her mouth and it is driving me bonkers. She is actually sick quite a bit more than the other kids - probably because of this nasty habit! I immediately tell her that we don't put things in our mouth and take the toy away. By the end of the day I have an entire bin of toys I have to clean. I have asked her mom to remind her to not put things in her mouth while she's at home, but mom says she doesn't do it at home at all! What else can I do? Is this still developmentally appropriate? None of my other two year olds do this.
Blackcat31 09:58 AM 11-20-2015
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
I have my one DCG who is 2.5 (will be 3 in May). This is the same girl I was forced to put in a separate room to nap and basically sobs herself to sleep everyday.

Anyhow, she is constantly putting everything in her mouth and it is driving me bonkers. She is actually sick quite a bit more than the other kids - probably because of this nasty habit! I immediately tell her that we don't put things in our mouth and take the toy away. By the end of the day I have an entire bin of toys I have to clean. I have asked her mom to remind her to not put things in her mouth while she's at home, but mom says she doesn't do it at home at all! What else can I do? Is this still developmentally appropriate? None of my other two year olds do this.
I'm not sure there is an age where it is or isn't no longer appropriate.

I still chew on the ends of all my pens, chew on the ends of my hair and if I have straw in my hands at all the end will be chewed to pieces before I'm even aware of it.

Your DCG may not do it at home...home is pretty comfortable and soothing in and of itself for a kid. Daycare is probably much busier and a little more stressful for her....hence the chewing.

I would just give her things she can mouth and redirect when it's not appropriate. Honestly I think the more we tell a kid not to do something like that, the more they do it.

Most times those types of things solve themselves
KIDZRMYBIZ 10:13 AM 11-20-2015
She is most likely mouthing everything at home, too, but it doesn't bother DCM or DCD in the least, so they say they "don't see it." What they actually mean is, "she is my beautiful little child, so what's a little spit and gnawed remains? No one else plays with her toys, so I don't mind if she Niagra Falls on everything or leaves teeth marks. Looks like it's just your problem."

Some kids don't learn to control this habit until early elementary years. What I have done is tell the child they can't play with the "big kid toys" if they are going to put them in their mouth, and all they get for a great chunk of the day is the baby toys that are meant for mouthing. That gets old real quick, and they learn to keep things out of the mouth at DC at least.
Ariana 10:21 AM 11-20-2015
Is she given a soother at home? This might be why she is not mouthing everything at home. It could also be a sensory issue as BlackCat says. Can you perhaps get something that is appropriate for her to chew and just give that to her during the day? Switch it out as appropriate? There are all sorts of teething toys for older kids. Otherwise it will constantly be you saying "out of your mouth". This is the stage I am at with my 22 month old DCG. she is doing much better though.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:23 AM 11-20-2015
I think it is normal to mouth things well into adulthood, as BC said. It can be a stress reliever or even something that helps people focus or a boredom reliever. As a young kid, we mouth any random toy or object, but as we get older, we chew our nails, bite on pens, chew gum or even munch on nuts and snacks. (I am a sunflower seed addict) I would keep certain toys or objects for her to chew and reinforce not letting her chew on things you don't want her to chew on.
NillaWafers 12:47 PM 11-20-2015
I think I am too type A for this job haha. I really have to learn to let things go. I was a nanny for so long, but not until I opened my own HDC did everything start to bother me!
MarinaVanessa 12:50 PM 11-20-2015
Some kids mouth well into their older years and like BC said even into adulthood. There's something about this oral fixation that is soothing to some. That being said it can't be allowed in a child care setting (my personal opinion here) because of the risk of contamination and spreading illness.

I would provide this child with certain mouthing toys that are okay for only this one child to mouth on. If she still gets other toys and puts those in her mouth then I wouldn't allow her to play with other toys until she could keep the toys out of her mouth. This will take a lot of redirection and correction for a while but it can be done (I had a severe issue with this with a 3 year old).
284878 06:46 AM 11-21-2015
My only advice is make her take the toy to the yuck tub.
The act of doing this will be more affective then you doing it.
Tags:mouthing
Reply Up