Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Categorical Eligibility For Food Program
Leigh 01:33 PM 11-18-2015
I have a question. My son is adopted from foster care. He is on Medicaid (foster kids are covered after adoption until 18). My understanding was that he would be eligible for the top tier reimbursement because of his Medicaid eligibility. That's not really the issue here, though. My sponsor told me that he is no longer eligible AT ALL because we (his parents) are not low income, nor is our neighborhood. I thought that my child was eligible for reimbursement at the lower level, at least. Anyone know the facts on this?
Blackcat31 02:03 PM 11-18-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I have a question. My son is adopted from foster care. He is on Medicaid (foster kids are covered after adoption until 18). My understanding was that he would be eligible for the top tier reimbursement because of his Medicaid eligibility. That's not really the issue here, though. My sponsor told me that he is no longer eligible AT ALL because we (his parents) are not low income, nor is our neighborhood. I thought that my child was eligible for reimbursement at the lower level, at least. Anyone know the facts on this?
I found this: http://search.usa.gov/search?query=f...liate=usda-fns

But every link I click into to read about eligibility rules says the site is temporarily down for maintenance.... Hopefully it's back up soon and you can look at the links and see if you can find what you are looking for.
organicdclady 02:09 PM 11-18-2015
From what I know about the food program, you are eligible if you receive cash aid or food stamps. Medicaid does not qualify anyone. BUT foster children are eligible. No matter what the household income is. Is the adoption complete?
Unregistered 03:11 PM 11-18-2015
If they are legally your child (adopted or biological) they are only eligible if your income qualifies. It's the same income chart as free & reduced meals at the public schools. Your daycare kids can qualify as tier 1 or tier 2 (lower rate). If you are zoned for a low income public school, the dcks qualify as tier 1. If not, it's tier 2 unless the daycare parents provide an income statement saying they themselves are low income...then you get the higher tier 1 rates.
MarinaVanessa 04:22 PM 11-18-2015
I went through this with a previous client. Uncle had his niece and was officially fostering her until she was 5 when the adoption process went through and he was able to adopt her. As soon as that happened he became the "parent" and therefore his income affected everything. He lost her subsidy and was no longer eligible for the food program based on his income. It was actually pretty good timing at least, she was starting Kinder and outgrew my program at that point.
Tags:adopted child, food program, foster care
Reply Up