Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Presenting Naps as A Requirement
childcaremom 09:38 AM 11-20-2015
This is an ongoing issue with my current group (which is another post in itself). From parents requesting no naps to toddlers not being able to get on schedule and everything in between.

I am interviewing to replace at least one, maybe two.

I have a dcm coming tomorrow. Dcg is 3 and has never been to daycare. I suspect that the dcg doesn't nap any longer at home.

Rest time is non negotiable. I can't force them to sleep but I do require that they lay quietly. That is what I tell ALL my parents.

I know I read on here somewhere that a few of you have it worded that parents need to prepare their child for group care by altering schedules at home so child is able to rest here. Can someone please jog my memory?

I really don't want to dictate how a parent runs their home time but I want to be able to tell them that naps are important in a daycare day and that their home schedule may need to adjust to accomodate their child's rest. That I do expect a 3.5 year old to possibly nap, and if not, to rest quietly while the rest of the group does. That they will not be getting up to play or do quiet activities but that they will be resting.

help?

Ftr, I will no longer keep a child that does not nap so do you think it is worth trying a 3 yo, newbie to care, who may not nap at home?

Thanks!
nannyde 11:23 AM 11-20-2015
I use the phrase "I don't provide service to children who don't need a full afternoon nap." That covers every age, every reason etc.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:27 AM 11-20-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
This is an ongoing issue with my current group (which is another post in itself). From parents requesting no naps to toddlers not being able to get on schedule and everything in between.

I am interviewing to replace at least one, maybe two.

I have a dcm coming tomorrow. Dcg is 3 and has never been to daycare. I suspect that the dcg doesn't nap any longer at home.

Rest time is non negotiable. I can't force them to sleep but I do require that they lay quietly. That is what I tell ALL my parents.

I know I read on here somewhere that a few of you have it worded that parents need to prepare their child for group care by altering schedules at home so child is able to rest here. Can someone please jog my memory?

I really don't want to dictate how a parent runs their home time but I want to be able to tell them that naps are important in a daycare day and that their home schedule may need to adjust to accomodate their child's rest. That I do expect a 3.5 year old to possibly nap, and if not, to rest quietly while the rest of the group does. That they will not be getting up to play or do quiet activities but that they will be resting.

help?

Ftr, I will no longer keep a child that does not nap so do you think it is worth trying a 3 yo, newbie to care, who may not nap at home?

Thanks!
IMO, taking on a 3 year old is risky when it comes to naps. Many parents seem to drop naps at that age, so she may lay for rest, but she may not nap. If it is important that every kid lay quietly and rest, it could be a problem, but the best way to find out is to ask up front and be direct. If they give a wishy washy answer, then you will have to use your judgement, but I would make it clear that a rest time of X minutes is required and there are no exceptions.
Annalee 11:36 AM 11-20-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
IMO, taking on a 3 year old is risky when it comes to naps. Many parents seem to drop naps at that age, so she may lay for rest, but she may not nap. If it is important that every kid lay quietly and rest, it could be a problem, but the best way to find out is to ask up front and be direct. If they give a wishy washy answer, then you will have to use your judgement, but I would make it clear that a rest time of X minutes is required and there are no exceptions.
I am interviewing for two spots right now....taking my time after the last ordeal ended in termination...I have almost decided to try my luck at a 3 month old rather than older children. I think I can develop a routine better by getting a child this young???? I am interviewing a 14 month old and a 3 month old...but, like I said, taking it slow, not enrolling yet.... I want to think about it and meet at least three times with the clients before deciding....
mommyneedsadayoff 11:41 AM 11-20-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I am interviewing for two spots right now....taking my time after the last ordeal ended in termination...I have almost decided to try my luck at a 3 month old rather than older children. I think I can develop a routine better by getting a child this young???? I am interviewing a 14 month old and a 3 month old...but, like I said, taking it slow, not enrolling yet.... I want to think about it and meet at least three times with the clients before deciding....
I personally like to start them young, so 3 months is a great age imo. You can develop the routine and it is an easier transition. As for 14 months, I have had 12 month old who started no problem, but they were either in other daycares or their parents had great nap routines, so it depends on their previous care when it comes to whether I would work with them. Good luck!
childcaremom 11:59 AM 11-20-2015
Generally, children don't start daycare until 12 mos (Canada). So I do like to get them at that age b/c NORMALLY it is easier to get them on my routine. I am really leery about the 3 yo for this reason.

I thought I interviewed well. Now I will never interview a child 6 months in advance for a spot. Or if I do, I will require that they come back one month prior to start for another visit. And no refunds on holding fee if I change my mind. (dcg15 mos wouldn\t have made it in)

NO more children coming with soothers or other sleep addictions. They will have a fresh start here with NOTHING. They will adapt and be happier for it. (dcg17 mos is a soother addict. comes with one, parents pop one in on the way out the door. will wake up sometimes 4x in one night to retrieve soother that's been thrown from the crib. I am convinced her sleep issues are from being unable to soothe herself)

I am so frustrated with this group. Never had this before. Always had great nappers.
Annalee 12:07 PM 11-20-2015
Generally, children don't start daycare until 12 mos (Canada). So I do like to get them at that age b/c NORMALLY it is easier to get them on my routine. I am really leery about the 3 yo for this reason.

I thought I interviewed well. Now I will never interview a child 6 months in advance for a spot. Or if I do, I will require that they come back one month prior to start for another visit. And no refunds on holding fee if I change my mind. (dcg15 mos wouldn\t have made it in)

NO more children coming with soothers or other sleep addictions. They will have a fresh start here with NOTHING. They will adapt and be happier for it. (dcg17 mos is a soother addict. comes with one, parents pop one in on the way out the door. will wake up sometimes 4x in one night to retrieve soother that's been thrown from the crib. I am convinced her sleep issues are from being unable to soothe herself)

I am so frustrated with this group. Never had this before. Always had great nappers.
I failed with my last interview and I have a 3-step process Sometimes we just don't see through clients. The children were 6 months and 3 yrs old at the time but they lasted only 4 months in my program..due to the mother and I having different expectations. You will find the right fit...just be patient....that is what I am telling myself as well
childcaremom 03:03 PM 11-20-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I failed with my last interview and I have a 3-step process Sometimes we just don't see through clients. The children were 6 months and 3 yrs old at the time but they lasted only 4 months in my program..due to the mother and I having different expectations. You will find the right fit...just be patient....that is what I am telling myself as well
Yes. Being patient is key.
Preschool/daycare teacher 08:56 PM 11-20-2015
My experience has been that so far in my eight years of childcare, I have been able to get any child in my care to nap. Even school agers (ages 6-8) have sometimes napped during the summer after a busy morning. Just recently I had a 3 yr old dcg and when she started her mom told me she never naps at home. I require naps here though and dcm knew that. Turns out, DCG napped everyday she was here for the full two hours and would be out within 5 - 10 minutes of laying down. Her mom wanted to know my routine and what time I laid her down and got her up, etc so she could try it at home I had already given her the info on what time our nap time is and the routine, but she never did pay any attention to any information I gave her (but that's besides the point). I also have a 24 month old whose parents told me there was no way she'd go back to sleep for me in the mornings after drop off. But she does very easily (I lay her down, say night night, and walk out of the room). She then sleeps for a good two hours until I wake her up.
So my point is, I don't worry about how old the child is and whether they will still nap or not when I'm looking to enroll a family. They nap while in my care. They may not at home, but they do with me, for some reason. I figure the busy mornings in a childcare setting must wear them out. And of course I have them playing outside as long as I can in the mornings, and getting exercise of some kind even when it's rainy or too cold to go outside, and I figure that helps.
childcaremom 04:14 AM 11-21-2015
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
My experience has been that so far in my eight years of childcare, I have been able to get any child in my care to nap. Even school agers (ages 6-8) have sometimes napped during the summer after a busy morning. Just recently I had a 3 yr old dcg and when she started her mom told me she never naps at home. I require naps here though and dcm knew that. Turns out, DCG napped everyday she was here for the full two hours and would be out within 5 - 10 minutes of laying down. Her mom wanted to know my routine and what time I laid her down and got her up, etc so she could try it at home I had already given her the info on what time our nap time is and the routine, but she never did pay any attention to any information I gave her (but that's besides the point). I also have a 24 month old whose parents told me there was no way she'd go back to sleep for me in the mornings after drop off. But she does very easily (I lay her down, say night night, and walk out of the room). She then sleeps for a good two hours until I wake her up.
So my point is, I don't worry about how old the child is and whether they will still nap or not when I'm looking to enroll a family. They nap while in my care. They may not at home, but they do with me, for some reason. I figure the busy mornings in a childcare setting must wear them out. And of course I have them playing outside as long as I can in the mornings, and getting exercise of some kind even when it's rainy or too cold to go outside, and I figure that helps.
Send some of your napping vibes my way I have a similar morning (busy, outside, exercise, great lunch) and nada. And these are young littles who NEED rest. They have a hard time functioning on little to no sleep, as I'm sure you can imagine.

As for the 3 yo, it is a non issue as she found care so is no longer coming for the interview.
Preschool/daycare teacher 08:29 AM 11-21-2015
Send some of your napping vibes my way I have a similar morning (busy, outside, exercise, great lunch) and nada. And these are young littles who NEED rest. They have a hard time functioning on little to no sleep, as I'm sure you can imagine.

As for the 3 yo, it is a non issue as she found care so is no longer coming for the interview.
Yikes, yes I can imagine having toddlers/babies who won't nap. It would make for an awful day Is the room you are napping them in dark (or able to put blankets over the windows to block out sunlight)? Before nap, I hurry in there and start darkening the room so that when they walk in, it's fairly dark, mimicking night time (also if they wake up in the middle of nap, there's not much light so their brain says "night time", or at the least they can't see all the toys and get "playtime!" on the mind). I also turn on a fan for white noise. Our routine is potty/diaper changes, lay down, I read a quick story, and then have all the lights out and I begin patting backs if needed. The children I've had recently haven't even needed me to pat their back. The 3 year old I would just lay down beside on the floor for a few minutes until she fell asleep. I figure if they see me laying still with nothing else going on they'll decide they aren't missing anything and go to sleep themselves (and then I can go get stuff done ). With the 24 month old I don't have to do anything except say, "Night night" and walk out of the room and she'll fall asleep on her own in just a few minutes. Of course when the child is new sometimes I have to spend more time training them to nap. When they wake up early I go back in and pat their back some more, or if they try getting up, I tell them, "night night time" and gently lay them back down. Sometimes they will get mad and cry and wake the others up, but after a few days (or couple weeks if they're part time), they learn to nap, or at least lay there quietly if they do wake up early.
Unregistered 11:57 AM 11-22-2015
I require 3/4's to lay down at least 12:30-2:30. 4/5's at least an hour.

If any child is up they must play quietly in the smaller dc room. I'm still on break in the living room. The rest of the kids are in the big playroom, which leads into the living room, so they are close to me.

I have one big dedicated play area and a smaller area that we do art in, eat, sensory table, wall-sized chalkboard, manipulatives & math shelf, etc. I can close the gate on this area.
Tags:nap - required
Reply Up