Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Coughing
doodlesdaycare 08:50 AM 11-25-2015
Hi, I am a home daycare provider and I have a child here that is continuously sick. Not sick enough for mom to stay home but sick enough to bring germs in. Right now she is coughing CONSTANTLY. She is 2.5 years old so she sometimes remembers to cover her mouth, but not all the time. Mom dropped her off this morning and said "looks like she's getting a cold." Since then, I have wiped her nose all morning and she has been coughing consistently. No temperature though. What do I do?
Blackcat31 09:33 AM 11-25-2015
Originally Posted by doodlesdaycare:
Hi, I am a home daycare provider and I have a child here that is continuously sick. Not sick enough for mom to stay home but sick enough to bring germs in. Right now she is coughing CONSTANTLY. She is 2.5 years old so she sometimes remembers to cover her mouth, but not all the time. Mom dropped her off this morning and said "looks like she's getting a cold." Since then, I have wiped her nose all morning and she has been coughing consistently. No temperature though. What do I do?
I would exclude.

I exclude for symptoms so any time ONE child requires more care and attention than I am able to provide WHILE caring for the other kids, they need to stay home.
Silly Songs 01:54 PM 11-25-2015
I was about to start a thread about this ! It's going around my class and my child has it. They may not all have the same thing but the symptoms are similar. My daughter is feeling terrible and I took her to the dr this morning. No fever, chest, ears and nose are clear. Mild headache. She is just coughing but is definitely sick. 2 in my class seem the same , the others are just coughing but still run around, eat and play like normal. My dd and the two students have no appetite, don't seem interested in playing or much of anything. Same symptoms different illness or reaction to it. You know which ones can't function. Those need to be home.
Michael 07:32 PM 11-25-2015
Originally Posted by doodlesdaycare:
Welcome to the forum.
childcaremom 01:06 AM 11-26-2015
My illness policy states that I will accept children with colds with mild coughs and an occasional runny nose. The way I describe this to parents: an occasional cough, not a deep, chesty one and not one that causes them to gag; I don't have to follow the child around with kleenex and the discharge is clear.

Having said that, even if the child meets the criteria, I use my best judgement on whether or not I feel a child should be in care or not, regardless of my policies. So I will look at if they are able to participate, if they seem lethargic, etc. I don't send home willy nilly but I am proactive.
Ariana 06:26 AM 11-26-2015
I also only accept children with mild colds. slight runny noses (clear) and slight coughs.

Excessive coughing (unless accompanied by a DR note to explain non contagious illness like Asthma) and excessively runny nose with green snot are grounds for exclusion.
Tags:always sick
Reply Up