Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Tom Copeland....Clarification on Hiring a Employee & Taxes
frugalmama4 08:47 AM 03-18-2013
Good Morning,

I know this topic has been discuss a lot lately...so I apologize if this is a repeat.

Tom- I'm reading over your tax workbook, blog and the IRS website regarding payroll taxes...I'm a little confused.

I understand that if you hire more then one person you have to pay minimum wage $7.25 per-hour.

Question-

If I hire Sally to work for the months of Jan-May and then she leaves. I then hire Sue to work July-Aug...am'I still required to pay them both minimum wage? Are does the minimum wage only apply when two separate people are hired to work during the same time period?

Question-
If I only hire one person can pay her a daily/weekly salary instead of minimum? I do not have a state minimum wage.

Tax write off-
Am'I writing off all expenses related to hiring someone? The amount paid to them and tax I pay on their behalf?

Thanks Tom...for all your help.
TomCopeland 09:31 AM 03-19-2013
I read the law as saying that if you hired two or more people in a year you would have to pay the federal minimum wage. If you do hire only one person you can pay her a daily or weekly rate. You can deduct all expenses associated with hiring someone, including all payroll taxes.
Tags:employees, hiring
Reply Up