Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dope & Drop
MARSTELAC 05:58 AM 11-01-2011
I know there is a thread on this but I'll be darned if I can find it...

Had two kids show up this a.m. and tell me dcp took their temps and gave them some yummy clear medicine that tasted like grapes!

What can I do?

I'm tired and don't want to deal with this nor do I want everyone here to get sick.

Meyou 06:13 AM 11-01-2011
Seperate them and wait for it to wear off.
Cat Herder 06:18 AM 11-01-2011
I'd call Mom and ask why she gave them medicine before drop-off.

Hopefully it was just Loratadine for seasonal allergies.
MARSTELAC 06:20 AM 11-01-2011
They leave for school just when it will wear off then they come back to me for almost 2 more hours....so a fun afternoon for all. I want so badly to call the parent on it but I KNOW they will deny, deny, deny.

Good thing I don't administer meds here or poor kids would be overdosed.
Mrs. CC 06:38 AM 11-01-2011
One of my biggest annoyances is how often my DCKs parents bring them here while the kids are sick. I just don't understand why the parents think this is a great idea.

I feel for you and agree that this is a WONDERFUL reason for my "I do not medicate" policy.
familyschoolcare 07:15 AM 11-01-2011
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
They leave for school just when it will wear off then they come back to me for almost 2 more hours....so a fun afternoon for all. I want so badly to call the parent on it but I KNOW they will deny, deny, deny.

Good thing I don't administer meds here or poor kids would be overdosed.
If the school does not send them home then take thier temps when you get them. Do this regaurdless of if they are acting normal or sick. If the fact that you did this gets back to mom or even if it does not, just say the children said you gave them some meds this morning so I was concerned that they wher not feeling well.
Blackcat31 11:39 AM 11-01-2011
My handbook says:

"Please do not give your child ANY medication without informing me prior to attendance. Failure to notify me of this will result in immediate termination of services."

If a parent tells me they gave their child anything I have them sign a form stating how much and when. It is also part of my policies to NEVER administer any OTC meds to children while at my home. Way to much liability involved with the over use of Tylenol/Advil etc.

I also adopted a pretty cool rule from another member here that if I send a child home from care sick, they have to remain out for 2 days but if a parent chooses to keep them home then they can return the next day. (provided there are no symptoms of illness remaining). Having that rule sure helps eliminate lying about meds and makes making a judgment call about illness fall on the parents.
MarinaVanessa 11:50 AM 11-01-2011
I would call DCM immediately and ask her what exactly the "yummy clear medicine that tasted like grapes" was. Most providers have a policy against giving fever reducing medicines and most pain relievers are fever reducers too. I would find out exactly what she gave them and if it's a fever/pain reliever and you have a policy against it I would send them home immediately.

If she says she didn't give them anything let her know that you'll be checking their temperature throughout the day and if it turns out that they end up with a fever between now and 2pm (medicine usually lasts 4-6 hours) she will need to pick the kids up and that you will have to set up a private meeting with her.

If you do end up having to set up a meeting with her because the fever reducer wore off I would seriously consider putting her on probation for diliberately breaching your policy and then trying to lie about it.

KUP
MarinaVanessa 11:54 AM 11-01-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I also adopted a pretty cool rule from another member here that if I send a child home from care sick, they have to remain out for 2 days but if a parent chooses to keep them home then they can return the next day. (provided there are no symptoms of illness remaining). Having that rule sure helps eliminate lying about meds and makes making a judgment call about illness fall on the parents.
I like this, I have now added this to my "TO ADD" list of handbook amendments for the newest handbook that I'm handing out in mid December.
Cat Herder 12:03 PM 11-01-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Works like a charm...
MarinaVanessa 12:37 PM 11-01-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Works like a charm...
I take it it's your policy. Care to share your exact wording?
Cat Herder 12:45 PM 11-01-2011
I think it is a relatively common one around here, and has been for years, but we do all talk to each other during training meetings.

* Illness Policy: Please Follow CDC exclusion recommendations given to you in your handbook. Child must be excluded for 24 hours AFTER being symptom free WITHOUT fever reducing medications. Please do not confuse this with 24 hours after onset of symptoms. Please be proactive. If child is sent home sick, a minimum of 48 hours exclusion will be required. Every child is required to have a current “3231” Immunization Form on file at all times.
Blackcat31 01:17 PM 11-01-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Works like a charm...
I'll say!!

I bet I haven't had to send more than 2 or 3 kids home in the last year, but a few who I know were doped and dropped regularly before have suddenly started really evaluating their kids BEFORE bringing them now and have actually kept them home when showing signs of illness. So YES!!! It works fantastic!!
Jenniferdawn 01:45 PM 11-01-2011
Adding this to my policies immediately. it's a good one!
renodeb 07:53 AM 11-02-2011
It should wear off around 11 or 12 then send them home if there temps return. Next time ask what there temps were and turn them away at the door. I cant tell you how many kids I have had to send home around noon b/c the meds wore off. I get this responce: I was hoping they werent getting sick, they just felt a little warm but I didnt think it was a fever.
Tags:dope and drop, dope; drop, illness policy
Reply Up