Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pregnant Providers and those who have been pregnant.. Logged Out
Unregistered 04:36 AM 04-25-2012
Logged out since I have not told any of my dcp's that I am pregnant yet...

I just found out that I am pregnant. All of the other times I have been pregnant, my pregnancy was very easy, but I worked in an office and didn't have the physical stressors that come with doing daycare.

How do you do it, lol? (Daycare and being pregnant).

Yesterday I was so nauseus and weak and dizzy that I literally felt like laying down and never getting back up again.

I have 2 particular siblings (well- only one of the siblings is a problem causer), that test me and stress me to the limits. I would easily term the 1 kid but they are sibs so that would not work, and we have to have the income.

I am afraid that I will be stressed out m entire pregnancy and then the baby will be born to be a stressed out baby due to all of the stress hormones caused by the difficult kids.

I am afraid that I wont get enough time off with the baby that I need to bond, and give my baby the attention needed, or that the baby will get sick from the other daycare kids if I start up too soon.

I am afraid if I take too much time off the parents wont come back and I will have to start all over.

I just have a million worries and concerns, so I am looking for encouragement, advice, and anythin else helpful.

Those of you who did daycare while preggers: did you have long periods of stress? If so, what is your baby's current temperment?

Those of you who are pregnant now: How do you find the energy?

I am just in very early first trimester so I have a looooong way to go!
SilverSabre25 05:54 AM 04-25-2012
First, congratulations!!!

I had my son last June and was pregnant while doing daycare. When I had my daughter 4.5 years ago, I was in college full-time. Both were stressful, and honestly I don't think that either of my children is a very stressed out one. My daughter was more difficult than my son, but I think DD had a dairy allergy that I didn't catch where I *did* catch my son's and corrected for it.

While I was pregnant with my son, I went through some of the most difficult stuff I have in my life. My mom got sick and almost died, was in a coma for two weeks and the hospital for six months. While my mom was sick, I had a series of the three worst daycare families I have EVER seen, and another daycare-related incident that rocked me to the core. My husband also found out when I was 7 months pregnant that he was going to be laid off. Through all of that I never, not even ONCE, took a day off daycare. I never closed early.

My son is very happy and easy going. When he was a newborn, he actually slept through the night from about two weeks until 4/5 months, plus took amazing naps. He was willing to play on the floor and sometimes even fell asleep on the floor, and he would often fall asleep for DH (read: he didn't have to nurse to sleep all the time! a huge change from DD). He's now developing opinons, a temper, and a nice little pterodactyl shriek, but that's pretty normal, I think

He and I are very close and very well-bonded. Newborns are so easy, you can pop them in a wrap and get that cuddling while you're doing your 15,000 other tasks. You'll have the time while the other kids are napping, and hopefully your DH will step up and take some of the evening stuff so you can cuddle and love on your baby.

I took two weeks off daycare--my DH only got one week off he did daycare for me for that one week. This worked out for me ONLY because I had an uncomplicated vaginal birth with minimal tearing, no drugs to mess up my system, and not as much blood loss as I had with my daughter. I have some specific suggestions for you to try and make the birth easier, if you want--just let me know. The differences between my DD's birth and DS's birth were incredible, and I credit that with part of why things were so easy after DS.

I found energy while pregnant by being careful about my diet (lots and lots of protein!!! Seriously, it makes a difference!! Cuts down on the risk of pre-eclampsia, too) and by letting a lot of stuff slide (kids just played all day, we didn't try to do too much in the way of curriculum) and making DH step up and help.
godiva83 06:05 AM 04-25-2012
I have had a very hard pregnancy this time around, with bed rest and now high blood pressure ... If I didn't have help I would have had to close the doors!

I think you just never know how things are going to go and it is best to have some form of back up plan if things go array.

Remember to rest when you can and perhaps if you run a full structured program tell the parents you will be more flexible and add in more free play, child directed activities.

I understand your worries and my best advice is to take it easy and have back up plans you just never know.

Here's to a happy and healthy 9 months
godiva83 06:11 AM 04-25-2012
Silver I would LOVE to know what you did differently for the birth of your son!!

I am hoping I am not induced early again, want to stay away from stitches and hemroging this time! If possible.
blueclouds29 06:15 AM 04-25-2012
I'm 9 months this week. These past couple of weeks have been very stressful. I can't get around much and get down and play with them like I used to. I only watch 3 toddlers, one 4 month old and my DD is 3. That mixture in itself is hard.. the baby needs constant care and the toddlers are constantly fighting or climbing! I can't wait till this little boy comes out.
I'm taking only 3 weeks but that might not be enough!!!! AHhhhhhh
Good luck everyone and a happy & healthy 9 months!!
Unregistered 06:26 AM 04-25-2012
Silver I would love to hear specifics I am going to need all the help I can get I think!

What have you done (or plan on doing) about making sure you don't lose kids? I suppose some might leave and there's no sense worrying about things I can't control.

My other question: Do you think it would be unethical to term the 2 difficult siblings and get another child now, before I start showing? Would I have to disclose a pregnancy to the new family? I'm only on week 3 right now, so it's super early, which is why I am surprised that the nausea and fatigue are so intense already. I'm not planning on telling my families until I am in the beginning of the second trimester and know what I plan on doing as far as time off, etc. My thoughts are that the new family might feel like I was not open with them about the pregnancy, but would I even be able to find a family if I told them I was pregnant?

So many questions!

Thanks in advance ladies!
AfterSchoolMom 06:50 AM 04-25-2012
I can only speak from my current experience, but in my first trimester I really had to take it easy as much as possible. I was ridiculously tired, nauseous, and throwing up all day long. I ended up having to term one of my two infants because I was just too sick and tired to handle them both. I see absolutely nothing wrong with terming kids/families that make things more difficult for you. You need to take care of yourself and your baby first and foremost now.

The good news is that it doesn't last forever! After about week 14 I felt fine again and I've been able to work normally since. I know that this will probably get harder as time goes on and I get bigger, though.

I definitely second getting as much help as possible. If not with DC, then around the house. Get DH to do as much as he can/will!! If you have older children, have them take on more responsibility for household chores (my oldest son is now in charge of litter box cleanup and dishes, for instance).

Finally, I wouldn't disclose your pregnancy to new families right now. I don't think it's unethical not to, either. It isn't any of their concern at this point.
Blackcat31 07:18 AM 04-25-2012
I have no advice as to how to manage daycare and pregnancy as I haven't nbeen pregnant in over 20 years...LOL! and didn't do daycare whiel I was pregnant but I do want to take the time to say congratulations and wish you a easy, safe, healthy and enjoyable pregnancy!

I also think stress is rooted alot from attitude, so take the time each and every day to have a bit of down time (after DC hours) and spend the time, even just a few minutes on you! Take things as they come, try not to stress about things that haven't happened or things you have no control over. Change the things you can that are bothersome, enjoy the good things and let the rest go.....

I would think that investing in some good yoga time might make the whole pregnancy and stress of daycare be something easily manangeable.
SilverSabre25 07:44 AM 04-25-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Silver I would love to hear specifics I am going to need all the help I can get I think!

What have you done (or plan on doing) about making sure you don't lose kids? I suppose some might leave and there's no sense worrying about things I can't control.

My other question: Do you think it would be unethical to term the 2 difficult siblings and get another child now, before I start showing? Would I have to disclose a pregnancy to the new family? I'm only on week 3 right now, so it's super early, which is why I am surprised that the nausea and fatigue are so intense already. I'm not planning on telling my families until I am in the beginning of the second trimester and know what I plan on doing as far as time off, etc. My thoughts are that the new family might feel like I was not open with them about the pregnancy, but would I even be able to find a family if I told them I was pregnant?

So many questions!

Thanks in advance ladies!
PM me and I'll message you
Reply Up