Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Picks Up During Child's Nap
JeepGirl6 04:24 AM 03-20-2011
I have a parent that picks up his daughter between 3:00-4:00. She goes down for nap at 1:00, I change her diaper right before going to sleep. When she gets picked up at 3:00/4:00 she needs changed.

My question is when parents pick up and their child is still sleeping so you have to go and wake them, do you change their diaper right there in front of the parent or let the parent do it at home? I always offer but the parent says Oh It's okay I will change her when we get home.

I just don't want the parents to think I leave the child in her pee...I would feel more comfortable changing her diaper before she left but if the parent says otherwise, I guess I have to listen to them.
Meyou 05:10 AM 03-20-2011
Since the parent is arriving during naptime I would just mention they had been changed last at 1pm so she probably needs a new diaper soon. Then I offer to grab them a diaper and wipes.

In my opinion they know when naptime is done and they know that a waking baby needs to be changed so I personally don't feel like I need to do more than inform them and offer the facilities to change their child.
Former Teacher 05:26 AM 03-20-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
In my opinion they know when naptime is done and they know that a waking baby needs to be changed so I personally don't feel like I need to do more than inform them and offer the facilities to change their child.
Maybe I am wrong and please correct me if I am (it does happen )...but are you suggesting that a parent should change their child after nap?

I would think that since providers want a child to arrive in a clean and dry diaper, then parents would expect the same
QualiTcare 05:39 AM 03-20-2011
Originally Posted by JeepGirl6:
I just don't want the parents to think I leave the child in her pee...I would feel more comfortable changing her diaper before she left but if the parent says otherwise, I guess I have to listen to them.
why don't you come right out and say this? tell them, "she was changed before nap, but she always needs to be changed after waking up. i don't wake the kids to change them so i'm sure her diaper's wet - let me change it."

as you're saying that be getting the diaper/wipes and reach for the kid. if they REALLY don't want you to after that then they'll say no and i wouldn't worry about it anymore.
Greenshadow 05:55 AM 03-20-2011
Normally when a parent shows up during naptime, I let them know when the child was changed last and if they'd like me to change him/her real quick, I can. In case they arent going right home and need to go somewhere else first. Sometimes they say to change him/her and sometimes they tell me not to worry about it. But offer, just in case, and let them know when the child was changed last.
TBird 07:04 AM 03-20-2011
I just let them know that the child just woke up so they may make a pee on the way home....do you want them changed or not? The answer usually depends on it they're going straight home or not.
JenNJ 07:11 AM 03-20-2011
I have parents text me when they are about 10 minutes away so I can wake them, change them, and give them a small snack and drink of water. I find this to be much easier than rushing them awake and sending them home hungry, thirsty, and wet.

Like a PP said, I expect a fed, clean child at drop off so I return them the same way no matter when they are picked up.
TBird 08:55 AM 03-20-2011
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I have parents text me when they are about 10 minutes away so I can wake them, change them, and give them a small snack and drink of water. I find this to be much easier than rushing them awake and sending them home hungry, thirsty, and wet.

Like a PP said, I expect a fed, clean child at drop off so I return them the same way no matter when they are picked up.
I agree! But if you don't get any notice about the pickup, then you just update the parent as much as you can so they know what has been done and what may need to be done soon.
WImom 10:14 AM 03-20-2011
I don't change them if the child is sleeping when they get here. BUT I'm just preschool age so most are potty trained and the few I have that aren't are usually pretty dry after nap. If they were poopy or I knew they were really wet at that time I'd just wake them up before parents got here and change them.
Abigail 12:21 PM 03-20-2011
I agree with others that I would offer to change the child. If you wanted to, I would ask the parents if they wouldn't mind giving you notice so you can wake the child and change them. The children I watch get picked up at random times and if they're awake and I notice they could use a change when the parents arrive I tell them I will change little Johnny really quick for them and they usually say "Thanks" while they stand and talk to the other kids and get their own child's jacket and shoes ready for them. I would feel bad sending a child home in a wet/dirty diaper if I ask for them to arrive that way. Sometimes it would be ok, but if it was regularly I would be frustrated.
ms pooh bear 05:29 PM 03-20-2011
Originally Posted by JeepGirl6:
I have a parent that picks up his daughter between 3:00-4:00. She goes down for nap at 1:00, I change her diaper right before going to sleep. When she gets picked up at 3:00/4:00 she needs changed.

My question is when parents pick up and their child is still sleeping so you have to go and wake them, do you change their diaper right there in front of the parent or let the parent do it at home? I always offer but the parent says Oh It's okay I will change her when we get home.

what i do get the child up tell the parent one moment please and change the child because they see and know that the child was sleep and they came doing nap time and you fell better about it
squareone 04:55 AM 03-21-2011
I always offer to change and like others have said, the parents answer usually depends on whether they are going straight home. What time is nap over? How about waking the child up at around 3:30 to change them and have them ready to go before the dad gets there?

Live and Learn 07:20 AM 03-21-2011
I would absolutely change the diaper.
Tags:early arrival, nap - parents pickup
Reply Up