Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pretty sure DCM isnt Going to Pay Me.
Breezy 06:37 PM 08-04-2012
Her schedule was changed to all weekends and I told her I could not accommodate them. Let her know she was welcome to bring DCG for the next two weeks until she finds other care or just pay the two weeks notice. Well, I heard nothing from her and this was Thursday. Contacted her again today to find out her intentions and nothing..

Its $240 she owes and she knows it and signed a contract! $5/ calendar day for late payment.

So now what? Certified letter?
Truly Scrumptious 10:17 PM 08-04-2012
Try a letter....give her a deadline on when the payment is due and tell her that if you haven't received it by that date, then she will be turned over for collection.

Parents who enroll in my program have to pay for their last two weeks of care up front. I changed it after dealing with too many parents like the one you're dealing with now.
Blackcat31 06:58 AM 08-05-2012
I agree with Truly. Send her a letter stating the amount she owes, give her a deadline to pay it before you will resort to going through collections.

I would try e-mailing the letter to her and if there is no reply, tweak it to request payment (without offering care the final two weeks) and sent it to her certified.

Maybe say something along the lines of:

Dear Daycare Mom

According to your signed contract agreement, you owe $*** for your final two weeks of care. This amount needs to be paid IN FULL before August X, 2012. A late fee of $5 per calendar day applies.

If the full amount due is not paid, your account will be turned over to collections at which time you will then be responsible for any and all cost incurred in order to collect payment.

If you should decide to have Johhny attend care for the final two weeks, I will need a written schedule of days needed and payment in full by August XX, 2012.

Thank you,

Daycare Provider

Texasjeepgirl 09:42 AM 08-05-2012
This month is 21 years since I began my daycare..
10 years ago I implemented a new policy...
I require 2 week deposit when children are enrolled..
I do NOT require them to pay this in full..
I do require that they make payment arrangements... add $5, $10 or more each week to regular tuition payment...until the deposit is fulfilled...
This deposit covers final 2 weeks of care in the event they leave care... WRITTEN 2 WEEK NOTICE is required...otherwise the forfeit deposit..I've only had 1 client forfeit...

I can't tell you how many cases of what just happened to you.. happened to ME...before I decided enough was enough.... Parents calling on a Sunday night... my mom is in town.. she's going to watch the kids all week... my sister-in-law is going to watch kids and charge me less...etc... when I reminded them of the 2 week notice requirement in my handbook... and that they could either pay ...or bring kids 2 weeks... of course I never heard from them again...just as in your situation now.......
. from now on... PROTECT YOURSELF..PROTECT YOUR INCOME.. PROTECT YOUR BUSINESS....IT IS A GOOD BUSINESS PRACTICE.... it's fair to you.. it is fair to the client...

www.tammyschildcare.com

brookeroo 10:35 AM 08-06-2012
I just opted to have them pay their weekly rate on Mondays. If I had to take any time off for the week then I would adjust the following week. Problem solved. No one has ever had an issue with it and it gives you a little more leverage if a disagreement comes up. You don't have to look forward to getting stiffed.
Texasjeepgirl 12:32 PM 08-06-2012
Originally Posted by brookeroo:
I just opted to have them pay their weekly rate on Mondays. If I had to take any time off for the week then I would adjust the following week. Problem solved. No one has ever had an issue with it and it gives you a little more leverage if a disagreement comes up. You don't have to look forward to getting stiffed.
If you have the expectation.. or more specifically.. A POLICY... that you will recieve a 2 week NOTICE that a child is leaving your care...and that the parent agrees to PAY that 2 weeks of care......Then if they decide to stiff you... all they have to do is stop coming to your daycare.. whether you are paid Friday.. in advance of the following week.. or on Monday morning for that week of care... either way.. if they just stop showing up.. you still loose out on that fee...
Unregistered 07:23 AM 07-31-2013
Originally Posted by Breezy:
Her schedule was changed to all weekends and I told her I could not accommodate them. Let her know she was welcome to bring DCG for the next two weeks until she finds other care or just pay the two weeks notice. Well, I heard nothing from her and this was Thursday. Contacted her again today to find out her intentions and nothing..

Its $240 she owes and she knows it and signed a contract! $5/ calendar day for late payment.

So now what? Certified letter?
Send a certified letter. Include a schedule: if paid this day, you owe this much, this day, this much. Show her how late fees are accruing.

Include a copy of her contract with her signature on it.

Include a copy of the small claims paperwork that you have already filled out, ready to file.

Tell her that she has XXX days to provide payment or you will be filing the forms necessary to get your money back, and explain that she WILL be ordered to pay your court costs, interest, late fees on top of the $240 that she agreed to provide.

Mom feels that because she didn't have control over her schedule that she shouldn't have to pay you. She needs to understand that her signature on your contract says otherwise.
MyAngels 08:11 AM 07-31-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Send a certified letter. Include a schedule: if paid this day, you owe this much, this day, this much. Show her how late fees are accruing.

Include a copy of her contract with her signature on it.

Include a copy of the small claims paperwork that you have already filled out, ready to file.

Tell her that she has XXX days to provide payment or you will be filing the forms necessary to get your money back, and explain that she WILL be ordered to pay your court costs, interest, late fees on top of the $240 that she agreed to provide.

Mom feels that because she didn't have control over her schedule that she shouldn't have to pay you. She needs to understand that her signature on your contract says otherwise.
This thread is a year old, and I'm pretty sure the OP is not providing care anymore.
Blackcat31 08:32 AM 07-31-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
This thread is a year old, and I'm pretty sure the OP is not providing care anymore.
There seems to be a "newbie" out there that is perusing the forum.

LOTS of old threads appeared yesterday evening/this morning
Unregistered 09:01 AM 07-31-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
There seems to be a "newbie" out there that is perusing the forum.

LOTS of old threads appeared yesterday evening/this morning
Wow, so sorry to have "perused" the forum. This thread was at the top of the list on the main page, that is how it was found. I'll leave and find someplace else to "peruse"...sorry if I interfered in a private group.
MyAngels 09:05 AM 07-31-2013
Wow, so sorry to have "perused" the forum. This thread was at the top of the list on the main page, that is how it was found. I'll leave and find someplace else to "peruse"...sorry if I interfered in a private group.
I didn't mean to offend. I figured you might be new and didn't want you to wonder why you might not get a response is all .

Stick around, it's a good group of folks here .
Blackcat31 09:52 AM 07-31-2013
Um, wow!? How did I say that was a bad thing?????

I personally, like when older threads pop up and we get to hear an update or a perspective we didn't get to hear the first go around...

NO IDEA why you have such an attitude about a comment that was meant nicely or in a positive manner...

Hopefully, you stick around long enough to find out that we aren't all so negative.
Angelsj 10:56 AM 07-31-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Um, wow!? How did I say that was a bad thing?????

I personally, like when older threads pop up and we get to hear an update or a perspective we didn't get to hear the first go around...

NO IDEA why you have such an attitude about a comment that was meant nicely or in a positive manner...

Hopefully, you stick around long enough to find out that we aren't all so negative.
Maybe they don't know the definition of "peruse" and felt it was an insult??
pe·ruse /pəˈro͞oz/
Verb

1 Read thoroughly or carefully.
2 Examine carefully or at length.
Breezy 05:34 PM 07-31-2013
Hi girls
daycare 05:48 PM 07-31-2013
Hi girls
OMG hhhheeeeeyyyyyy.

i saw this pop up first thing this moring and I was like oh hey Breezy is back, but then I saw the date and was like aawwweee NOPE just someone pulling up an old post..

How are you?? How was the move???
Breezy 06:13 PM 07-31-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
OMG hhhheeeeeyyyyyy.

i saw this pop up first thing this moring and I was like oh hey Breezy is back, but then I saw the date and was like aawwweee NOPE just someone pulling up an old post..

How are you?? How was the move???
I'm awesome!!!!

The move was great and we are finally feeling settled. I am working at a high end apartment community in Edina, Minnesota and I am doing very part time daycare on the side. I still come to the forum daily and peruse !!

Where is Countrykids????

How are you daycare???
daycare 06:21 PM 07-31-2013
I'm awesome!!!!

The move was great and we are finally feeling settled. I am working at a high end apartment community in Edina, Minnesota and I am doing very part time daycare on the side. I still come to the forum daily and peruse !!

Where is Countrykids????

How are you daycare???
Wow sounds like you are doing great. So good to hear.
I'm great. Still never making much sense, but loving the form. Lol

Daycare life has been keeping me very busy. Getting my youngest ready for school....

Ck does not visit the form much. She has been super busy and is doing great. We email when we can. I miss her......
Reply Up