Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Child Safety
suzyQ 08:06 AM 03-31-2011
Hello everyone, What Can I do about my child coming home with sand in her hair and on her face from daycare? I am concern that the sand will get in her eyes. I called the Daycare, they say that they cant do anything about it because it is a requirement for them to have boxes fill with sand so that the kids can play in them. If I take my child out I would have to continue to pay until they find someone to fill her place. I don't remember reading that anywhere. Any advice?
Unregistered 08:48 AM 03-31-2011
Once children are no longer putting sand in their mouths, it is a perfectly safe, normal activity for toddlers and preschoolers. I have worked for 10 years with this age group and can think of only a handful of times when a child got sand in their eye. We'd help them flush it out with water and they'd go right back to playing in the sand. It's really not a big deal. I guess you could find a center without a sandbox or sensory table, but I don't really know why you'd want to??
DaycareMomma 08:48 AM 03-31-2011
I understand you a concerned parent, but you need to realize that no matter where you go, your child will get dirty from being at daycare. Unless you are looking for a place that puts your child in a chair all day at the table and spoon feeds them so they don't get dirty and doesn't allow any play time, you need to expect them to get dirty.

Now if your child was coming to you caked in mud, that is a whole different story. Your child at one time or another will get sand in their eyes too, its a part of life and playing. I'm sure your daycare provider is more than capable of making sure to clean off your child before they send them home with you.

Kids will be kids and parents need to realize that daycare is a place for children to play, learn, explore, examine, and socialize. They will get dirty at daycare.
Cat Herder 09:02 AM 03-31-2011
Send her a baseball cap for the playground.

Keeps sun and sand out of her eyes......

Also keep hair simple and short...braids or other fancy hairstyles trap sand.

You could also keep some dry shampoo spray and a hairbrush in your car. A simple spritz and a good thorough brushing before getting in your car will keep the sand out of the car seat.
JenNJ 09:40 AM 03-31-2011
You could take the time to teach your child how to ply in the sand. Don't throw sand, how to brush it off her hands, don't rub your eyes, etc. Group care can't cater to each child's needs. Plus it is unfair to make her sit out while the other kids play. I'm sure she will be safe playing in the sand.
cheerfuldom 09:47 AM 03-31-2011
By all means, hire a nanny. Make your child sit in the house all day for fear that she might get dirty or horror of horrors, get sand in her eyes. She will get bored, lonely, frustrated among other things and you will regret that she no longer has sunshine, friends to play with, activities that engage the mind and body. You can't have everything perfect at all times. If a little sand is your biggest complaint, I would go into daycare tomorrow and give each worker a huge and heartfelt thank you.
jen 09:52 AM 03-31-2011
I replied on your other post, but I'll reiterate here. I have a hard time believeing that a contract that makes you pay until they replace would be enforceable. I would pull that out and give it a second look.

If you want to pull her out, I absolutely would. However, I do think that you may need to find a private nanny. Most daycares have sandboxes or go go the park where there is sand and dirt. It's OK if you want more control over your child's day...you just have to pay for it or do it yourself.
youretooloud 10:00 AM 04-01-2011
I'm also wondering if you are misunderstanding the "pay until they fill the spot" part.

You will have to give two or four weeks notice of withdrawl. Which means you have to either pay them for that time, or take her for that time. Most parents just say "hey, she's going to leave daycare in two weeks, and (insert date) will be her last day." That gives them time to find someone to replace her. Totally fair.

If you break your lease with an apartment, you either pay until your lease is up, or until they can find a new renter.

It's financially sound.

Now, if you don't want your daughter playing in the sand, then you should definitely find a daycare without sand. But, give the current daycare the notice they require.

Your parenting choices are yours, and you don't have to justify them.. but, in most states, they can't keep one child inside while everybody else goes outside. So, you do need to choose a daycare that doesn't have sand or other loose materials that you might not feel comfortable with.
JenNJ 12:18 PM 04-01-2011
I can see them requiring payment until a replacement is found if she signed a yearly contact. A few places around here require cause (family moving, etc). Otherwise you pay the length of the contract.
Kaddidle Care 04:59 PM 04-01-2011
Honey, I don't like the sandbox either but they have soooo much fun in it!

There is also sand for playing in indoors and it comes in many colors! Again, messy but FUN!

If your child is adventurous this is only the beginning as to what she will come home with. You're lucky to have a girl, you should see what the boys get into!

The other thread you posted on had a wonderful quote written in red. Do read it - it's sooo true!

As far as leaving your current daycare and payment obligations, you have to check your contract. Can't help you there.
QualiTcare 04:54 AM 04-02-2011
it's not that far fetched of a concern IF SHE'S ALREADY COMING HOME WITH SAND IN HER HAIR, etc.

my child had sand thrown in her face and it wasn't a little - it was a LOT. so much that it looked like something from a horror movie - you couldn't see the whites of her eyes at ALL - only sand. everyone wanted me to take her to the ER, but i didn't want to because that would mean i'd have to stop flushing so i could drive and i knew (or hoped) if i kept flushing them enough i could fix it myself. thank goodness it turned out okay. that much sand could've scratched her lens or blocked a duct and it's a miracle it didn't.

did my child quit playing in sand? NOOOO. but the point is maybe this mother/the OP has had a bad/scary experience and that's why she's so worried - kinda like someone who got hurt on a trampline and never wants their kid on one.
nannyde 02:52 PM 04-02-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
it's not that far fetched of a concern IF SHE'S ALREADY COMING HOME WITH SAND IN HER HAIR, etc.

my child had sand thrown in her face and it wasn't a little - it was a LOT. so much that it looked like something from a horror movie - you couldn't see the whites of her eyes at ALL - only sand. everyone wanted me to take her to the ER, but i didn't want to because that would mean i'd have to stop flushing so i could drive and i knew (or hoped) if i kept flushing them enough i could fix it myself. thank goodness it turned out okay. that much sand could've scratched her lens or blocked a duct and it's a miracle it didn't.

did my child quit playing in sand? NOOOO. but the point is maybe this mother/the OP has had a bad/scary experience and that's why she's so worried - kinda like someone who got hurt on a trampline and never wants their kid on one.
I saw some pretty nasty eye injuries from sand when I was a school nurse. I don't have a sandbox.
Unregistered 12:37 PM 04-11-2015
My son has cornrows in his hair and it is very frustrating when he gets sand in his hair because I have to wash it everyday. I am frustrated because none of the other kids get sand in there hair and when I ask to see the tape because the daycare has cameras nobody can show it to me. The sand issue did not start until the teacher asked me when was I going to cut his hair and I said when he started school. We all know that the sandbox is supposed to be covered and this daycare sand box is not covered and any animal can jump the fence and do whatever they want in there. So I have found an in home daycare without the sand. The sand is not the only issue for me. One of the workers said her kid had a fever of 103 and they let the child stay at daycare so long behold my child got sick a couple of days later and they called me to come pick him up. I think the rules should apply for everybody. If their friends kids get sick they can stay at daycare but everyone has to come and pick their kids up.
Tags:sand box, sand in hair
Reply Up