Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Giardia
TGT09 05:03 PM 08-22-2010
Does anyone have any experience with this infection/parasite?

3 yo dcg was exposed to this week before last and is now starting to show symptoms. DCP's are taking her to the doctor tomorrow so we don't know anything for sure but wondered how my protocol would work with this.

I got on the CDC'S website and it says child is contagious as long as showing symptoms and that they could last anywhere from 1-6 weeks!!!
MarinaVanessa 09:10 PM 08-22-2010
I've never experienced this but without actually knowing that this is what it is, I wouldn't tell any of the other parents yet. I had a dcb that the parents thought was bacterial pneumonia (were told this by the emergency room doctor) but it was a quick check-up and they were being rushed out the door. They went to their regular doctor and it turned out to be an ear infection. I called all of the parents as soon as I got the phone call from the parents on Saturday morn and on Monday morn everyone took their kids to the doctors and later monday morning is when I found out it was a false alarm. Better to be safe than sorry but then again parent's had to take a day off to take their kiddos in. I'd wait until I knew for sure.

If it does turn out that it really is Giardia then I'd tell all of the parents. I would call a pediatrician first or even the county health department and tell them you have a daycare and you might have this on your hands and what they think you should do and follow their recommendations. They were very helpful when I thought I had bacterial pneumonia on my hands. They pretty much said to notify all of the parent's, have them all take their kids to be checked out and to keep them home until they had an ok slip from the Dr. to be back at daycare.
Good luck.
TGT09 09:41 PM 08-22-2010
Thanks. I talked to another parent tonight but bit my tongue not to tell her yet. I agree since they don't know for sure that's what it is, I don't want to alarm anyone. It's scary to think of though. DCG's parent said she would call me as soon as they left the doctor to let me know. I guess several tests need to be done to confirm.
MarinaVanessa 03:58 PM 08-24-2010
Originally Posted by TGT09:
Thanks. I talked to another parent tonight but bit my tongue not to tell her yet. I agree since they don't know for sure that's what it is, I don't want to alarm anyone. It's scary to think of though. DCG's parent said she would call me as soon as they left the doctor to let me know. I guess several tests need to be done to confirm.
Any verdict yet on what it is? It's hard to say only by the symptoms because other things like stomache flu, colic, stomache aches, gas, etc. have almost the same symptoms. I hope it isn't something that serious.
TGT09 09:59 AM 08-26-2010
Doctor thinks it's definitely a parasite. He's done bloodwork to confirm but it's not back yet. Mom is good at keeping me updated. Older brother and Dad now have it. Main source of getting it is from lake/river/creek water. They just went camping the weekend before it all started. IF that's what it is, it's transferable from feces.
Tags:colic, giardia, infection, parasites
Reply Up