Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Worm Farms
Josiegirl 03:36 PM 05-11-2016
Has anyone ever made their own worm farms for dc? My dcgs love slimy slippery critters and especially worms and from what I've seen it looks pretty easy.
I've got a buttefly garden on order(darn amazon takes forever now!!) but want to try and make our own worm farm.
Blackcat31 04:15 PM 05-11-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Has anyone ever made their own worm farms for dc? My dcgs love slimy slippery critters and especially worms and from what I've seen it looks pretty easy.
I've got a buttefly garden on order(darn amazon takes forever now!!) but want to try and make our own worm farm.
Ive never made or had one but Ive had this one pinned on a "want to make/do" Pinterest board forever!!

http://www.two-daloo.com/worm-observation-tower/
Attached: image.jpg (48.7 KB) 
CalCare 04:29 PM 05-11-2016
I did it where I was teaching at one point. I tried to get everyone on board with composting and having the compost buckets on every table for every meal time and then the buckets would be emptied into the worm bin and cleaned for the next snack/meal. One problem was we produced too much of that, so we werent sure how much was appropriate for the worms. Another problem was the worm bin did need a little attention here and there which didn't happen since I was part time and all the staff was too busy and didn't care about it. They got rid of it when I left ;(
Thriftylady 05:02 PM 05-11-2016
I got an email yesterday saying my butterfly garden had been delayed! Wonder what is up with Amazon now, I do know they are putting in a hub in the empty air park 10 miles from me. Wonder if that is going to help anything.

I have thought of a worm farm but am worried about where we will store it and if I will be able to keep up with it.
Josiegirl 02:07 AM 05-12-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I got an email yesterday saying my butterfly garden had been delayed! Wonder what is up with Amazon now, I do know they are putting in a hub in the empty air park 10 miles from me. Wonder if that is going to help anything.

I have thought of a worm farm but am worried about where we will store it and if I will be able to keep up with it.
OT but I'm wondering if amazon is hoping to recruit more Prime members by taking forever to deliver regular postal packages. I know Prime takes priority but they'll be losing their regular customers at this rate. I ordered 2 things May 3rd and they're supposed to be delivered tomorrow. As of this minute, there is no way they'll be here because they haven't even been shipped yet!!

Anyways.....I thought once you put a worm farm together, there wasn't much maintenance to it? Maybe replacing the food source once in awhile, keeping it wet enough and dark. I'll have to look more into it but I thought it sounded different and lots of fun for my worm-crazed dcks. I'd probably keep them right in the dc playroom, unless the kids wouldn't leave them alone. They'd get far more attention that way.

BC, that's the one I saw too!! I've also seen them made with 2 liter bottles, which I'd probably use because I have no idea where to get something like two-daloo used.

CalCare, that's too bad it ended when you left. I bet it was a great experience while you did it and the kids remembered it for being something they did!
Thriftylady 04:51 AM 05-12-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
OT but I'm wondering if amazon is hoping to recruit more Prime members by taking forever to deliver regular postal packages. I know Prime takes priority but they'll be losing their regular customers at this rate. I ordered 2 things May 3rd and they're supposed to be delivered tomorrow. As of this minute, there is no way they'll be here because they haven't even been shipped yet!!
No, it isn't that, I have prime and have been having delays and issues. My current item is already 3 days late.
Josiegirl 02:54 AM 05-20-2016
Earlier this week while digging an area for our green bean teepee, we made a mini worm farm and the dcks collected some worms to put in. It's been a lot of fun seeing where we find worms in the a.m. and feeding them chopped up peelings, etc. I have covered it with black paper so anytime during the day we can take a peek and see the action, as slow as it is. LOL But we've had some great discussions and we've all learned some things about worms. They've come up with some great questions; I'm going to find all the answers this weekend and print it all up to send home to dcps. We'll probably let them go back to our green bean area next week but I'm so glad we did this.
Unregistered 12:46 PM 05-20-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:

It might be the weather. I purchased direct and had to wait due to the weather (last year).
Tags:worm farm
Reply Up