Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wwyd
childcaremom 09:04 AM 05-16-2016
I have a new family scheduled to start at the end of the month who have contacted me about possibly starting earlier.

They are wanting to do a Wed/Thurs with me not being available on the Friday. So 2 days. I don't charge for the days that I am not available. But I do prefer to go by full weeks.

Would you:
1- just charge for the 2 days and call it good
2- remind her that I charge by the week so her tuition will be for a full week, minus that day that I am not available.

I think what is making this confusing for me is that she only needs 4 days/week but I am charging the full week tuition whether her child is here or not. I don't care if she uses the fifth day but she is paying for it as I'd never be able to fill one day. So after going through all of that with her, (full pay for the week), would you let this go as a 2 day pay week or continue on with the full?

I am fine doing the 2 day but don't want to set the precedent that she can do that in the future, kwim? Esp. as she is a new dcp.

I am leaning towards allowing the 2 day pay with the reminder that going forward, it is full pay regardless of attendance. Any refunds will be given on provider closures only.

Thoughts?
Blackcat31 09:29 AM 05-16-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I have a new family scheduled to start at the end of the month who have contacted me about possibly starting earlier.

They are wanting to do a Wed/Thurs with me not being available on the Friday. So 2 days. I don't charge for the days that I am not available. But I do prefer to go by full weeks.

Would you:
1- just charge for the 2 days and call it good
2- remind her that I charge by the week so her tuition will be for a full week, minus that day that I am not available.

I think what is making this confusing for me is that she only needs 4 days/week but I am charging the full week tuition whether her child is here or not. I don't care if she uses the fifth day but she is paying for it as I'd never be able to fill one day. So after going through all of that with her, (full pay for the week), would you let this go as a 2 day pay week or continue on with the full?

I am fine doing the 2 day but don't want to set the precedent that she can do that in the future, kwim? Esp. as she is a new dcp.

I am leaning towards allowing the 2 day pay with the reminder that going forward, it is full pay regardless of attendance. Any refunds will be given on provider closures only.

Thoughts?
If this parent is aware that you only charge weekly then I'd leave the starting day up to them. If it costs $X for one week, most parents would opt to start at the beginning of the week to get their money's worth but if THEY are choosing to start mid-week, the responsibility falls on them. kwim?

I would just make sure they understand that is how you charge and then I'd leave the choice to wait until the following week and start on Monday or allow them to start mid week but dont alter your fee based on THEIR choice.
Leigh 09:30 AM 05-16-2016
Charge now the same way you will charge in the future. Anything else, and they'll be asking for discounts throughout your entire relationship. Follow your own policy always.
lovemydaycare0912 10:19 AM 05-16-2016
I'm a little confused. Let's say she is scheduled to start June 1st and pretend it's a Monday. She only needs 4 days but you're charging for 5. Makes sense. Now she is asking can she bring her child 2 days a week maybe for 2 weeks before June 1st. She can't do 3 days because for those 2 weeks you are closed on Fridays? You're question is do you charge for full week minus the Fridays you are unavailable or just for the 2 days she'll be using? Am I understanding correctly?
childcaremom 11:31 AM 05-16-2016
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
I'm a little confused. Let's say she is scheduled to start June 1st and pretend it's a Monday. She only needs 4 days but you're charging for 5. Makes sense. Now she is asking can she bring her child 2 days a week maybe for 2 weeks before June 1st. She can't do 3 days because for those 2 weeks you are closed on Fridays? You're question is do you charge for full week minus the Fridays you are unavailable or just for the 2 days she'll be using? Am I understanding correctly?
She needs 4 days a week. I am charging for the full week (5 days). The week she wants to start I am off on the Friday and will not be charging for that day. She only wants 2 days that week (Wed-Thurs).

I have already gone over this with her a few times so think that I need to start off properly and just charge the full week. When she starts is up to her. Take my own advice (because I've probably given it before, ha ha).

Thanks!
Ariana 11:48 AM 05-16-2016
You are available Monday and they changed the start time so definitely charge the full rate with the 2 weeks deposit.
Unregistered 11:51 AM 05-16-2016
"As we discussed, my rate is weekly. You are welcome to begin a week earlier than we discussed. Please let me know by XXX/xx which will be your child's first day of attendance.
Remember that your weekly fee is due on XXX/xx if you begin the week of XXX/xx or on YYY/yy if you begin the week of YYY/yy."
bubblegum 02:37 PM 05-16-2016
I would charge them by the week and give them a discount for the day they missed
Tags:charging short week
Reply Up