Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Charge The Late Fee?
marniewon 10:21 PM 12-26-2010
I'm in the process of switching over my payday from the Monday before care to the Friday of the week before the week of care. It will start on January 1. I sent out new handbooks/contracts a month ago and have reminders up near the sign-in sheet for that long also, that I am switching paydays. Since this takes effect on Jan 1, the first payment on the new pay schedule will be Thursday, December 30 (since I will be closed that Friday) OR on the child's last day of care that week. That is what is in my handbook. My one family signed and turned in their new contract stating that they had read, and agree to the terms of, the new handbook.

Here's my question. This family will only be here on Tuesday this week. So, according to my new contract/rules, they will owe for the following week on Tuesday. I am anticipating problems. I can see them forgetting to pay, or post-dating a check for Friday. Since it's the first week of doing this, and since their last day is so early in the week, would you insist that they still pay on Tuesday? If they post-date a check, would you charge late fees? I guess my thought is, they knew about the new policy (I not only highlighted all the changes in the new handbook that I sent home, I also included a letter to the parents stating new policies and what they were) but they agreed to it by signing the new contract. If they had a problem at all with this, I would think they wouldn't have signed the contract, or at least come to me to discuss it. Since they didn't, I'm thinking that I should expect the check on Tuesday, or late fees will accrue.

I know that times are tough nowadays, and I would not be at all surprised if they were not able to come up with the money so early in the week, especially just after Christmas. But, should I assume that they are okay with it, since they didn't say anything, and charge like I would at any other time of the year?

Maybe I'm just borrowing trouble here, but I can see this being a problem. I should mention though, that this family is really great. They pay on time, no complaints, the kids are pretty good, just an all around good family.
Rachel 11:34 PM 12-26-2010
I would remind them via e-mail that the new policy goes into affect this week (since it is the last week in Dec).

As far as a post dated check, why not? If you want to be paid by Friday for the next week, I think it's fair to say Friday for everyone. Yes, it's easier for them to pay you Tuesday and not make a special trip to pay you Friday, but I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to give you a post dated check for Friday if that is when everyone else is paying you. I give my current DCP post dated checks for the whole year (standard here). When I watched kids last year I also took post dated checks for the 1st of the month, didn't matter what day that turned out. Next year when I open full time, same thing. Post dated check for the 1st of every month of the year, doesn't matter what day(s) they are in care.
mac60 04:37 AM 12-27-2010
Did you know there really is no such thing as a postdated check.

I pry would just not cash it till Friday.
gbcc 05:55 AM 12-27-2010
My bank will cash it no matter what the date.

But anyways, I dont think it's really fair to expexct them to pay on Tuesday and charge late fees if not. I have many parents that will come back on Friday to pay me because thats when payments are due. Or they will ask me to not cash the check until Friday. I don't have a problem as long as I'm paid!
marniewon 06:18 AM 12-27-2010
Here's my dilemma though - I have it in my new handbook/contract that payment will be made on Friday OR the last day your child is in care that week. Do I really want to bend on the very first payment of the new contract? Won't that be setting myself up for parents to expect that my policies are not iron-clad but extremely bendable?
gbcc 07:26 AM 12-27-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:
Here's my dilemma though - I have it in my new handbook/contract that payment will be made on Friday OR the last day your child is in care that week.
I understand your thoughts on this. However, parents tend to be on the stupid side at times! Does your wording actually say OR? Some parents could easily take the OR as one or the other. Pay on your last day in care OR come back and pay Friday. They may not have had any questions becauase they didn't stop to think it could go either way. Kwim?
marniewon 07:47 AM 12-27-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
I understand your thoughts on this. However, parents tend to be on the stupid side at times! Does your wording actually say OR? Some parents could easily take the OR as one or the other. Pay on your last day in care OR come back and pay Friday. They may not have had any questions becauase they didn't stop to think it could go either way. Kwim?
I see what you're saying. I guess I never thought it could be taken any other way than the way I meant it....lol. Maybe I'll just wait and see if the check is in the diaper bag in the morning and go from there.
Abigail 09:54 PM 12-27-2010
Here's my dilemma though - I have it in my new handbook/contract that payment will be made on Friday OR the last day your child is in care that week. Do I really want to bend on the very first payment of the new contract? Won't that be setting myself up for parents to expect that my policies are not iron-clad but extremely bendable?
If you wrote "Payment will be made on Friday OR the last day your child is in care that week, whichever is first" would make it for them to pay Tuesday. Then again, that is setting you up for trouble because what if a child usually attends Mon-Thurs and ends up being sick Thursday and the parent comes by Friday to pay. Would you charge a late fee because they are not scheduled on Fridays? I wouldn't. I would make a specific day to be your payday from everyone. If they don't attend that day for whatever reason (sick, vacation, not scheduled b/c they're part time, etc) then they must make a payment ahead of time or still drop by to drop off a payment.

Mine will be Friday by closing time for the following week of care. Then, I get paid by all the parents by 5:30 pm on Friday or else it's late. They will have a late fee if they arrive late (late fee for the current week if they're more than 10 minutes late it's a dollar per minute, AND then they'd have a late fee for not having a payment for next week in by 5:30 pm) Double Slam! Does anyone else do this?!

If they don't pay at drop off Monday no care is provided. I wouldn't expect these parents to pay on Tuesday if it says OR Friday on your contract. I would send out a "revised" payment due letter and have everyone sign it and have a specific date that is must be paid. It will just be easier on you. I would waive any late fee the first week as a warning and let them know it's a New Years resolution freebie and their will be late fees from here on out. Just don't let it slide and enforce your late fee if it happens again.
marniewon 06:56 PM 12-28-2010
I have the best parents ever! Mom came in tonight to pick up the kids with checkbook in hand. I didn't have to ask for it or wait for it or anything else. Full amount, dated today
Unregistered 12:39 PM 12-29-2010
I have this one parent that continues to pick up late and no matter how many times I tell I am late for classes that I am taking he continues to pick up late. He has been out in California for more than a month and he says he is not use to the traffic and he is still trying to find his way around even though he has one of those Tom toms. He told me he has ADD realy bad and that I can understand because my son has ADD/ADHD, but he lives on what ever scheduale he has that day so I don't feel he is considering my time. So here is a letter I want to email to him. Let me know as careprovider and parents what you think.

DAWNS DISCOVERY TREE HOUSE

Dear Parents:
Thank you for the time I have with your kids, I love watching them learn and explore new things every day and they are a joy to have and care for.
I have to address parent pick-up, I have not charged in the past for late pick up even though it’s in my contract. Due to my time with my families needs, classes, priorities I have after work and working from 6:30am to 5:30 in the evenings I need this time to fulfill my responsibilities. I will also have a “sign in and sign out” sheet for parents when dropping off and picking up their children. I will now be charging a fee of a $1.00 a minute past 5:30pm pick up time. Payment can be made that day or it will be billed onto your next weeks invoice. Now I know how busy our lives can get so we can all relate but the children know when its time to go home and when they see other children going home and they are last to get picked up they start to feel anxious and want to go home too. So please be aware of your time and pick up promptly.
Thank you
Miss Dawn
ddiscovery treehouse@yahoo.com
gbcc 05:17 PM 12-29-2010
I have the best parents ever! Mom came in tonight to pick up the kids with checkbook in hand. I didn't have to ask for it or wait for it or anything else. Full amount, dated today
So glad it worked out for you!!
lvt77 02:56 PM 01-05-2011
I give a warning letter and then charge after that....
here is a sample of what I use:

Just a friendly reminder, that prior to your child’s admission to our day care, we entered into to an agreement to follow all rules of the parent handbook and its policies. Below is a reminder ____________________ policy.
you can change the letter to fit your needs, but this is what I do, ask them to sign it, file it and then if it happens again remind them of this and tell them that you have to enforce your rules....If you let them off you have to let everyone off and then what is the point of having a contract/parenthand book...

I have the same policy that your childcare fees are due on the last day of the week that your child receives care, one week in advance. If your is absent for any reason on that day, payment must still be made in full on this day or earlier.

I hope this helps....
MARSTELAC 03:56 AM 01-15-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
If you wrote "Payment will be made on Friday OR the last day your child is in care that week, whichever is first" would make it for them to pay Tuesday. Then again, that is setting you up for trouble because what if a child usually attends Mon-Thurs and ends up being sick Thursday and the parent comes by Friday to pay. Would you charge a late fee because they are not scheduled on Fridays? I wouldn't. I would make a specific day to be your payday from everyone. If they don't attend that day for whatever reason (sick, vacation, not scheduled b/c they're part time, etc) then they must make a payment ahead of time or still drop by to drop off a payment.

Mine will be Friday by closing time for the following week of care. Then, I get paid by all the parents by 5:30 pm on Friday or else it's late. They will have a late fee if they arrive late (late fee for the current week if they're more than 10 minutes late it's a dollar per minute, AND then they'd have a late fee for not having a payment for next week in by 5:30 pm) Double Slam! Does anyone else do this?!

If they don't pay at drop off Monday no care is provided. I wouldn't expect these parents to pay on Tuesday if it says OR Friday on your contract. I would send out a "revised" payment due letter and have everyone sign it and have a specific date that is must be paid. It will just be easier on you. I would waive any late fee the first week as a warning and let them know it's a New Years resolution freebie and their will be late fees from here on out. Just don't let it slide and enforce your late fee if it happens again.

So in my new handbook for this year, I changed payday to Monday for the upcoming week. Any adjustments that need to be made to the bill (ie used a freebie day) will appear on the following weeks' bill. So all of my families left yesterday and now I find out that a few are off Monday. Now I am worried that they won't bring my check by. My contract also says that if you are off on Monday you must make sure your check is here Monday morning (either leave it with me on your last day of the week before or make some arrangement to get it to me for Monday morning otherwise there will be a late fee). I am getting worked up already just anticipating some won't pay on time and they might just bring the checks on Tuesday a.m. Should I enforce my late fee rule? So hard to do but I really live paycheck to paycheck and count on that money for Monday (even though banks are closed...I do night deposit)? Thoughts? Thanks.....
MyAngels 07:27 AM 01-15-2011
If it's clearly stated in your new policy that they are to bring payment Monday morning whether they are there or not then I would enforce the late fee. If you don't you're setting yourself up for problems later on if there are instances where they are not there on Monday for other reasons. They could have easily left you a post-dated check on Friday at pickup.
Tags:late payment
Reply Up