Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much Information To Give To New DC Provider
MsMe 09:49 AM 09-28-2011
I have a lady from the community coming over today during nap time bc she wants advice on starting her own in home daycare. She is Mom to two and is looking for away to stay at home with her children. I am single person that runs a large family 'center'. So our motivations are a little different.

I am debating on how much infromation to give her.

Option#1: Just the facts
-who to call for state registration
-food program info
-what policies and forms to have

Option #2 a little more emotion.
-all of the above info
-let her know it may not give her the 'freedom' she thinks it will
-warn her to be firm and have a backbone bc she WILL need it.
- give her a few examples of obsticals she may run into.

Option #3
-all of the above
-really give her my true experiance. good and bad

What did you know about daycare when you started? What did people tell you to expect. were they right/wrong? What do you wish you would have known when you started?
godiva83 09:59 AM 09-28-2011
I think if time permits option #3
also, if you are confident that she will not just Copy & Paste your info
If she seems to be sincere and honest about doing HDC and it doesn't effect you in any way to give out info go for it.
I had prior experience in a large daycare as a director- and in that position I had a lot more flexibility with time and paid time off, and hours I would work. Now running my own small HDC solo I have given up the freedom of time- I can't simply go to errands, goto the Doctor, take my DS to appointments and so on.
I guess I didn't think that one thru too much- I have a lot less 'me' time or one on one time with my DS doing this than I thought
sharlan 10:09 AM 09-28-2011
#3 if time allows

All I knew when I started was what I knew that I didn't like the experiences that my daughters went through in daycare.

My daughters' last provider was licensed and she told me not to get my license because they were too intrusive into your life. So I didn't get my license for about 10 years, not knowing that it was illegal.
Sprouts 07:46 PM 09-28-2011
Isn't kind of awkward since you will kind of be "Competition"? Is she coming to check out your place to see how to set up hers? I don't I would be more helpful if she wasn't so close, I feel kind of bad saying that but from my experience a friend reccomended me to speak to a provider about one exit from my house and I can tell she was very "short" with me so I didn't push too many questions and just found this website instead .... I don't know if that helped or not. WHo knows maybe you can work together some how also though....
Oneluckymom 10:52 PM 09-28-2011
I kinda wish that I had that having just gotten my hdc license. It would be nice ( if she really is sincere) if you could do #3. It helps to know what your really getting into and to have someone to talk to and ask a ton of questions. Hope it works out for both of you, good luck!
beachgrl 04:04 AM 09-29-2011
When I inquired about licensing, the state lady let me know of another provider near me who offered to or was asked to by her to be my mentor in getting started. I called and talked to her before I even got going, went and visited one afternoon to talk more and see how did she did things. I have since called her a couple times and will need to again today about what I need to domto do vouchers from dss because I had a woman call me yesterday bc this provider is full and referred her to me.

This also probably means another provider who is a at up from me either didn't want infant age or she is full now too. (talked to her recently too and she has been doingnit over 20 years and had 2 openings she was trying to fill but said if her or I fillednour spots she would refer to me if I'd donthe same..and she is well recommended in the community bc she has been doing it for so long and is a good friend of one of my best friends, she actually helped the one who said she would mentor me to get started a few years ago) I say that bc I am pretty sure the mentor provider would have referred to her before me just bc she helped her out and they know ea other. Either way, they are both great recourses and very helpful and supportive so it's great
Cat Herder 05:57 AM 09-29-2011
I think it is wonderful to mentor new providers.

I also think some with exceptional skills and teaching ability should be compensated for it.

If more Women chose to work together and support one another we could rule the world.

I'd let her lead the discussion, let her ask questions and answer honestly.
permanentvacation 06:22 AM 09-29-2011
I have helped a few people become a licensed provider. Actually, now I have calls from random women saying they were told to call me for help getting started!

I tell them EVERYTHING!!! I give them my supervisor's name and number and tell them to call him and tell him they are interested in opening a home daycare. Then I tell them the steps they will have to go through; orientation, what type of forms they have to fill out, which classes they will have to take, where to take them, the price range of the classes, the length of time it takes from start til you actually get your license, etc.

Then I tell them things they will need for their home - everything from the seemingly obvious playpens, types of toys that are good for different ages, the required outlet plugs and other things licensing requires, to things that I have learned along the way as being helpful items that I suggest to them.

I tell them that some of us teach the children, some of us just let them play all day. Some of us provide food, some don't. I always suggest to provide the food and get on the food program because you will be reimbursed from the state. I let them know that they need to think about the things they want to do or not do with the children and what ages they want to work with.

Then I get into the good, bad, and the ugly about actually caring for children and working with their parents. I tell them things I like best about the job and things I like least.

The way I see it, they are asking you about the job so they can make an informed decision as to whether or not they think this is the right job for them. So, if someone asks me what to expect regarding getting a license and doing this job, I want them to get a full, honest answer from me. So, yeah, I give them a very good idea of what they will go through to get the license and run a daycare.

Yes, technically, us daycare providers are competition for each other. However, if you operate a good daycare, you shouldn't feel threatened by other daycares. Also, not every daycare home or center is a good fit for every child. I have told many parents on interviews that my daycare is not the right fit for their child and suggested either a larger group at a center or a smaller group by suggesting they hire a babysitter to come to their house. Some parents want their children doing educational activities, some just want them to play. Some kids can get along with all ages and other kids need to just be in a class with only their age group. So we do need to have a variety of daycare options for the parents and children.
MsMe 06:29 AM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
Isn't kind of awkward since you will kind of be "Competition"? Is she coming to check out your place to see how to set up hers? I don't I would be more helpful if she wasn't so close, I feel kind of bad saying that but from my experience a friend reccomended me to speak to a provider about one exit from my house and I can tell she was very "short" with me so I didn't push too many questions and just found this website instead .... I don't know if that helped or not. WHo knows maybe you can work together some how also though....
She wont be competition as I am hoping to be movign on from daycare in December. It would also be an option that she would want to take my place in my daycare. We are in an area were there are PLENTY of DCP to go around and unless you run a bad program it is easy to find familes.

Even if I was sticking around she would be a small in-home where I am more of a Large family center so our programs would be very different.

I am also of the same midset of Cathearder......Women need to work together more. We are not the enemy.
TBird 06:35 AM 09-29-2011
I like to share professional information. As long as she's not your next door neighbor, she can't be too much competition.

The only thing I (personally) wouldn't share is a copy of my exact paperwork. I would give her an outline of the pertinent topics. Only because one of you will look like you copied the other word for word and I believe contracts should be unique to the individual's particular business. JMHO...
cheerfuldom 07:19 AM 09-29-2011
I say option #1 unless she asks specific question. I am perhaps a bit paranoid, but she is a stranger and you do have to be at least a little careful about any families or scenarios you discuss.
MsMe 07:49 AM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I say option #1 unless she asks specific question. I am perhaps a bit paranoid, but she is a stranger and you do have to be at least a little careful about any families or scenarios you discuss.
She is not a complete stranger. My Mother knows her but hasnt seen her for years and I have also crossed paths with her (friends of friends) in the past.

I NEVER discuss personal information with anyone. Even here.
cheerfuldom 08:55 AM 09-29-2011
sounds like a stranger to me....I think it is nice that you are mentoring someone but I would never allow someone I barely knew to come into my home, look around, be around the kids or have access to any of my paperwork. I would have a discussion by email or in a public place but again, would not provide any of my paperwork. The only people that have ever asked me for help, literally wanted me to do EVERYTHING....come help clean up and organize their space, copy my paperwork and advertise.
Tags:competition, leadership, mentor, new provider, professional, professionalism, provider competition
Reply Up